Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.facebook.com/KingsirlukeHD/videos/18752537591662...

I wonder what that Warp Drive card would look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst there are very good reasons for not touching an Alcubierre drive in High Frontier (mostly as it's probably nonsense), but simulating it might not be all that difficult.

If you're "moving" by warping space around you, then you'll maintain your current velocity and other characteristics. This means that you'll still have to change your velocity to enter orbit.

The High Frontier map already accounts for differing orbital velocities, but they're not always depicted as such (since you don't need to), so this might be a question of creating a different kind of burn, to differentiate them.

All pivots and these "transit burns" should be at zero cost.

I'm not familiar with any reliable estimates for the amount of energy involved, but it's presumably a huge amount. This might cause scale problems with available radiators and generators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy I had to look up who "Alcubierre" was. I was trying to make a joke. But seriously I'd guess practically that particular warp drive was only for a short burst and straight ahead. So maybe you could go forward (no turns) for as long as you liked until you got to a sharp bend?

Anyway, I liked the imagery of the rocket booster rocketing up to the heavens and then firing the warp drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.