Subject: Did you pay £42 at UKGE? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If so you might be slightly annoyed (as I was) to find the game available online for £24.95 and with a listed RRP of £29.99. I've tweeted Mayfair Games and they have replied that "While we sold the games - the price at UK Games Expo was set by our distributor. And we don't have control over retailer pricing. Sorry!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
To be honest, UKGE is rarely a place to get great deals. Of course there's a few out there but more often than not you can get games at a similar price online at any time of the year.

I saw the prices at the Mayfair booth and simply walked away. Their prices were crazy! For what it's worth, it also made me think a little less of them too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I got mine at UKGE from the Thirsty Meeples shop for £28. There were a couple of other independents selling it too. Can't believe Mayfair were selling it above the RRP - that's just not on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too got it for 20 something, 28 maybe? I'm shocked to see that they were near doubling the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MuddieFunkster wrote:
I got mine at UKGE from the Thirsty Meeples shop for £28. There were a couple of other independents selling it too. Can't believe Mayfair were selling it above the RRP - that's just not on...

Just to be clear: we're there to run demos, but there's a non-standard arrangement at the show for us where the stand and stock are UK Games Expo's, with stock and pricing supplied by Esdevium. The price was set by Esdevium on the game, and may have reflected additional cost for the rush delivery of the copies (they did not have them available at show opening), or other factors that we were unaware of. Our hope is that you'll get value out of the game, whatever your cost...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AlexYeager wrote:
MuddieFunkster wrote:

Just to be clear: we're there to run demos, but there's a non-standard arrangement at the show for us where the stand and stock are UK Games Expo's, with stock and pricing supplied by Esdevium. The price was set by Esdevium on the game, and may have reflected additional cost for the rush delivery of the copies (they did not have them available at show opening), or other factors that we were unaware of. Our hope is that you'll get value out of the game, whatever your cost...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

And the demos were appreciated - finally managed to get a game of Caverna: Cave vs Cave. Looking forward to bagging a copy when it hits retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rowlinson
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yup I'm one of the suckers that did, it was the last copy and I was aboard the hype train it was my first expo and many lessons were learned, thankfully as it was the only game I purchased it's the only one I paid over odds for..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty steep though... Got mine at 27 euros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex,

What will be the price next week at Origins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's printed on the box.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

PS Okay, it's $42.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
I saw the prices at the Mayfair booth and simply walked away. Their prices were crazy!
Same here. Although I was a bit disappointed that they didn't bring any Oh My Goods!: Longsdale in Revolt to sell.

Quote:
For what it's worth, it also made me think a little less of them too...
I don't think you can blame them. It will look bad if they undercut their distributors/retailers. TMG's stand was also selling games at a higher price than their distributors/retailers - I think Yokohama was priced at £60-70 when it was sold elsewhere for £40-45.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
For what it's worth, it also made me think a little less of them too...

Let's talk about this for a moment. When we show up for a convention, we understand that there are many local game shops that have worked to support the gaming community, in order to have enough people to have a convention like UKGE. For us, it seems the height of irresponsibility to come into a community and have prices that undercut the local shops that brought us here. We focus much more on providing full-line product as our service (not all shops will ever carry all of our games), not on selling stuff cut-rate out of the booth in a way that ensures that shops will have dead product on their shelves for the next six months, damaging our games' future in their eyes.

It may not change your mind about us, but we've found over a very long time that it's the way we prefer to do business. YMMV.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worf Roz
msg tools
True, however there are two solutions. First would be to display a sign saying to please buy it at one of the many wonderful retail shops at the show, plenty of which offer special show discounts. Then if people are lazy or they can't find it anywhere else (sold out!) You can sell it, but not at hugely inflated prices. Either RRP or a few quid more (see sign). This way you don't undercut your stores but you're also not having people feel ripped off when the see it substantially cheaper. £42 for £30 is about a 40% premium. Had it been £33 or so, people wouldn't complain as much. Granted the distributor was overpricing it, so perhaps a sign would've been better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.