A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fear that someone coming to this forum might be scared away by the number of rules questions being posted here....don't be scared away! The game is great and the rules questions primarily deal with minor issues and special/optional rules. You can play this game out of the box with the rules included in the box. I posted a two-page player aid which, along with the player aid included in the game, is really all you need. Plays smoothly amd quickly. The rules posts are really people digging deeper into the optional rules of the game. It shows the game is being played and enjoyed!

Look for version 1.1 of my player aid which I submitted today. Buy it and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 even more, if possible! As one of the main question-askers, I can say that the game is great, and the questions are mainly about optional rules. Get this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdnuke wrote:
+1 even more, if possible! As one of the main question-askers, I can say that the game is great, and the questions are mainly about optional rules. Get this game!

Yeah, all the questions are coming from people who are fans not complainers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! I'd say that my main motivation in asking questions is to help tighten the rules for future expansions of this system, and maybe to point out where some of its mechanisms can be used to model or differentiate the many armies and troop-types used in this period. I'm a huge fan of the Borg family of games, but I also enjoy and own all of this similar but more-detailed and less card-dependent system. Both are great fun and complement each other. Players of one system will easily pick up the other, and the number of scenarios makes both systems excellent values!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Given the price and the subject matter, I presume most prospective purchases will be from established wargamers and grognards who are not typically scared off by rules discussions, no matter the quantity of queries in the BGG forums.

Although it does bring up the double-edged sword of "optional rules." If you have someone who you know is going to buy a game, and marinate themselves in the gameplay & rules & minutiae, then those people are probably going to love the choice/optionality of different rules levels. But noobs often want structure & guidance in their boardgames, and when presented with a lot of picky-choosy "use them if you want, or not, hey it's your game" that can turn introductory gamers off. But I am guessing those folks would be playing Memoir and Battle Cry instead (nothing wrong with that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The fact that there is a large menu of optional rules might make the game seem daunting. From my perspective, my son and I were able to play with all the suggested and strongly suggested rules, save for line/column formations (too prone to being unclear, especially if the table gets jostled). If anything, some rules--like facing and random events--should have been standard with the option of playing without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
But noobs often want structure & guidance in their boardgames, and when presented with a lot of picky-choosy "use them if you want, or not, hey it's your game" that can turn introductory gamers off.

Well, from my memories of my own noobhood, my approach for optional rules was almost always to ignore them. And even though I can't really claim to be new to this any longer, I still generally play any game without optional rules (and generally eschew variant scenarios as well). I'm sure there are lots of gamers, new and otherwise, who feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read the rules, the game looks fascinating and I've ordered it, but I don't agree that the problems are only in the optional rules.

Terminology is inconsistent (e.g. retreat vs. withdraw), the charge rules are under-specified (and use 1 hex away to mean something other than adjacent, which is odd - most games would call this 2 hexes away), and a variety of other rules require significant interpolation on the part of the reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
Terminology is inconsistent (e.g. retreat vs. withdraw),

At least in this case, the terminology is not inconsistent at all. Retreat and Withdraw are two completely different things. You retreat after combat if you fail a morale check, and withdraw is an option available to some units (provided they pass a morale check) in order to avoid combat in the first place.

We appreciate everyone's feedback on this and certainly apologize for any rules inconsistencies and/or errata. Like a lot of publishers, we try like heck to avoid all errata, and go over the rules again and again with what we hope is a fine-toothed comb. We play the heck out of the games as well and try to make sure what we're experiencing gels with what's in the book, so that everyone can have that same experience out of the box, especially given the heftier price-tag for a game like H&M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
cfmcdonald wrote:
Terminology is inconsistent (e.g. retreat vs. withdraw),

At least in this case, the terminology is not inconsistent at all. Retreat and Withdraw are two completely different things. You retreat after combat if you fail a morale check, and withdraw is an option available to some units (provided they pass a morale check) in order to avoid combat in the first place.

That may be so, but the only place that describes how Withdraw actually works is under the retreat rules:

Quote:
COMBAT RETREAT RULES
Defending units failing a morale check or Horsemen units
succeeding in a withdrawal morale check must retreat 1
hex away from the attacking unit. Units may retreat
adjacent to other enemy units but they must pass another
morale check or suffer 1 hit

See how this is confusing? It just told me that withdrawing units have to retreat. Does the rule "Units may retreat
adjacent to other enemy units but they must pass another
morale check or suffer 1 hit" apply to withdrawing units or only 'retreating' units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.