Betrayal at Baldur's Gate» Forums » General

Subject: Does there "have" to be betrayal, or can it pure coop? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with the crazy amount of stories in this game, the cool tiles, the strong adventuring component... I have to ask

Yes, I know "Betrayal" is even in the title, but the interview said (a) party member(s) could become a traitor, but....

Does it have to have betrayal?

I mean, someone who only plays solo or coop, could this game still work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
The betrayal element is what really makes the game, so no, I don't think it would work in the way you'd want it to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From an interview I saw, they said 10-20% is cooperative - more than the base game. So, not all the scenarios have a traitor, but it's random, so you don't get to pick. I guess you could cherry pick a scenario, but not knowing what is going to happen is part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that everything works like the original game does, then you don't get to pick what the scenario is. Instead, at a certain point in the game, a trigger will occur. At that point, the state of the game will determine what scenario is in play, and who is the betrayer. For example, if the "haunt" equivalent is triggered by someone in the antechamber with the magic sword, then you'll play haunt #31 and the person holding the sword is the betrayer. But if they were in the dungeon instead, you'll play haunt #19 and the person to their left will be the betrayer. And if it was triggered by the Bag of Holding, then it's haunt #49 which has no betrayer but a dozen beholder minis get dumped on the board that you have to kill. (Note that all these scenarios are completely of my own design and any similarity to the real scenarios is just dumb luck.)

So no, you can't really play it solo, and it's not necessarily a great choice for someone who only wants to play co-ops, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conmanau wrote:
Assuming that everything works like the original game does, then you don't get to pick what the scenario is. Instead, at a certain point in the game, a trigger will occur. At that point, the state of the game will determine what scenario is in play, and who is the betrayer. For example, if the "haunt" equivalent is triggered by someone in the antechamber with the magic sword, then you'll play haunt #31 and the person holding the sword is the betrayer. But if they were in the dungeon instead, you'll play haunt #19 and the person to their left will be the betrayer. And if it was triggered by the Bag of Holding, then it's haunt #49 which has no betrayer but a dozen beholder minis get dumped on the board that you have to kill. (Note that all these scenarios are completely of my own design and any similarity to the real scenarios is just dumb luck.)

So no, you can't really play it solo, and it's not necessarily a great choice for someone who only wants to play co-ops, either.

Yeah, unless it's *radically* different from the original, I wouldn't recommend it for pure co-op or solo play. It's a group game, completely, and it needs a traitor.

The plus side is, no one knows who the traitor is! Not even the traitor! (Again, if it's like the original.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original is 3-6 players, if this is the same you can safely assume it's the same format. So no, not really a co-op game.

Even in the original there are a few Haunts where maybe the house becomes the enemy for instance, which is in effect co-op, but these haunts only work because people were expecting a traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Even in the original there are a few Haunts where maybe the house becomes the enemy for instance, which is in effect co-op, but these haunts only work because people were expecting a traitor.

That's very true. If you know you are going to be playing a cooperative scenario, you will change your play strategy significantly. As soon as one room that can up your stats shows up, nobody would explore any new rooms until everyone had navigated back to use that room, for example. You'll thus all be better equipped for the story than you would be had you been expecting the possibility of a traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
As soon as one room that can up your stats shows up, nobody would explore any new rooms until everyone had navigated back to use that room, for example. You'll thus all be better equipped for the story than you would be had you been expecting the possibility of a traitor.

This still seems to be the best strategy even with a guaranteed traitor tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
From an interview I saw, they said 10-20% is cooperative - more than the base game.

That sounds like less to me. In the original Betrayal, the game is played in two halves.

The first half is purely cooperative.

In the second half, it becomes all against one. So in a five player game, you still have four people working as a team. Still very cooperative, unless you're the traitor. And I recently played a scenario where there was no traitor, but we all had to work against being hypnotized and turned against everyone else (We did end up losing a player but it would have been theoretically possible to win the game without this happening)

So I would say that the base game is 80-90% cooperative. 10-20% would be a huge reduction in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
From an interview I saw, they said 10-20% is cooperative - more than the base game.

That sounds like less to me. In the original Betrayal, the game is played in two halves.

The first half is purely cooperative.

In the second half, it becomes all against one. So in a five player game, you still have four people working as a team. Still very cooperative, unless you're the traitor. And I recently played a scenario where there was no traitor, but we all had to work against being hypnotized and turned against everyone else (We did end up losing a player but it would have been theoretically possible to win the game without this happening)

So I would say that the base game is 80-90% cooperative. 10-20% would be a huge reduction in that.

10-20% of the end scenarios, obviously. Before that, it is co-op, but you still can't completely trust anyone. You don't know if that person that got the awesome weapon or whatever will be the betrayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 50 scenarios, 10 are co-op (including one where everyone is a traitor).

Nobody in our group likes games with a traitor vs everyone else but I bought this game to find out if it was possible to play with only the 10 co-op scenarios, using a d10 to randomly select one each time. In our last game, we had Haunt 3 and despite what some people above might assume, we lost but we had a fun time.

Most of the Omen cards have effects that cause damage to the other players, so unless the card is beneficial without causing harm to others, we just keep them face down to keep count.

Yes, we are missing a sizeable chunk of the game here, but this house rule suits our style nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you're enjoying it, great but if I wanted a game without a traitor I'd avoid one with Betrayal in the name. It would be like playing Monopolg without money or Ticket to Ride without trains! There's just so many more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.