Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I really like this game (or rather what I've seen in reviews) but, if I'm correct, this is a plain card game plus some tokens. So the price tag of about 30€ seems somewhat high.

I know, artwork is often a big chunk of the costs and this has a lot of beautiful and unique art from an apparently renowned artist. Also, I can accept that we don't pay for a heap of cardboard but a lot of work and hours of entertainment. However, a deck of cards is not that expensive and similar games usually cost a lot less.

So any thoughts? Is there more in the box that justifies the price?
Is there a German edition coming up (considering the designer is German)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is of a high standard throughout, and the cards themselves are large format (Dixit or larger perhaps). The game itself feels like The Grizzled in a way and the game flows well once you get used to the bizarre icon choice (black icon = gain icon, white version of icon = cost)

Is it too expensive? I didn't think so but I don't think I bought it for that price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
Onen Hag Oll
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this for £22 (25€) - with promo cards as well - after playing it at the UK Games Expo. The cards are huge, Dixit size as Ben says, great quality (cards, box and tokens) and the art is fantastic.
Is 30€ the RRP? I probably would have paid that on the day.

My only slight issue is I was also thrown by the 'reversed' icons - to me a loss should have been black, and a gain should have been white. This would mirror plug/socket diagrams. Where black represents a hole (something is missing), and the white the plug part (something is present).
Minor issue though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
The game itself feels like The Grizzled in a way

I think The Grizzled is a good comparison. Card game with some tokens and great art by an artist who's got a name outside the industry. (Ok there might be more unique art (drawings) in TLE...)

And The Grizzled is about €15–20.

TLE also reminds me of Friday which also is comparable and a lot cheaper.

I don't know if €30 is the RRP. Amazon Germany has it for €31,50 and the cheapest deal I find is 29,39.

I think I'll wait a while and see if the price drops.

Thanks for your answers!
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I wonder if they will flip the icons in the future or move to icon for gain and X superimposed on icon for loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
Onen Hag Oll
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
icon for gain and X superimposed on icon for loss.

I think that would be much easier to read quickly. I still think for a few seconds when working it out as to which is which - i guess my brain might be a little grizzled though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
TimTix wrote:
So the price tag of about 30€ seems somewhat high.

FWIW, The Book Depository has it for 23,83 € with free worldwide shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:

Thanks so much. Was up to 28,18 when I looked now. Of course, not too bad. But I think I'll wait until it is released in Germany and see what happens. Still, thanks for the link and your effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that there will be a special German edition. The price for TLE probably will drop a little bit after the official release (the 18th of June) - at least I saw that "The King is dead" and "Ravens of Thri Sahashri" cost less 1 year later. I managed to preorder TLE from my local (Latvian) retailer with 20% discount (as a part of the campaign for "Bloomsbury Publishing" books) for 21€.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snasne Snaxx
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
TimTix wrote:

Thank you kind sir. You just saved me 17€!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kjetil A Tangen wrote:
SaltyHorse wrote:
TimTix wrote:

Thank you kind sir. You just saved me 17€!

Woahhh... When I read that I checked again. €18.93!!! Done.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McManus
United States
Peosta
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Evariste Galois (1811-1832) Rest in Peace
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip. Paid $17.50 including delivery to U.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Gómez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, I said "I like it, but not at that price", but I've paid 17.7€ right now in Book Depository which seems a good price for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
benosteen wrote:
The game itself feels like The Grizzled in a way

TLE also reminds me of Friday which also is comparable and a lot cheaper.

Tim

Ah, but in my opinion, I will play The Lost Expedition far more than Friday. These are two very different games, and I lost interest with Friday very quickly after a few plays.

Questions of price vs quality vs gaming experience, abound on this website. I bought the game at the UK game Expo for 22 british pounds (roughly 25-26 euros at the moment), straight from the publisher.
The ultimate answer is always the same: you eventually pay what you feel you want to pay.

I know that my 22 pounds went to a small publisher in Oxford, who probably doesn't make a massive amount of money on the game.

I also paid my copy of Terraforming Mars at full RRP, at a whooping 65 british pounds, and have not regretted it since. Many people still argue that TM is not worth the money. But it doesnt matter, as I enjoy playing it.

The comparison to The Grizzled is a good one, although, to play Grizzled solo, you need the expansion, which then makes it more expensive than The Lost Expedition.

It is all a matter of perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I both agree and disagree a lot

guigtexas wrote:
It is all a matter of perspective.

I agree 100%.

guigtexas wrote:
Ah, but in my opinion, I will play The Lost Expedition far more than Friday. These are two very different games, and I lost interest with Friday very quickly after a few plays.

I agree mostly, but since you mention the perspective: Both games are solo-able cards-and-a-few-tokens games with a tropical theme and comic-y artwork. They are very similar games, too. Both are small card games and should cost what Friday costs - especially considering that 2F-Spiele is not a juggernaut of a publisher either (same perspective).

guigtexas wrote:
Questions of price vs quality vs gaming experience, abound on this website. I bought the game at the UK game Expo for 22 british pounds (roughly 25-26 euros at the moment), straight from the publisher. The ultimate answer is always the same: you eventually pay what you feel you want to pay. I know that my 22 pounds went to a small publisher in Oxford, who probably doesn't make a massive amount of money on the game.

Yes and no. Of course if you are an afficionado of something, you'll be willing to pay more. But do you pay twice the price for a paperback (novel) only because a review suggests you might enjoy it? No, you'd say a paperback should be about x €.

I don't see why I should pay more for something that other publishers of similar scope and size get out for cheaper.

I guess that's my point

I don't know if there's any reason to blame Osprey Games. I started the whole discussion because in the beginning I only found online prices of about 30€ - which is arguably too much for a "small card game". But I don't know if they set this price tag.

As I said, I'd also be fine if the answer had been that this costs a bit more because of lots of unique artwork and Dixit size cards (sort of deluxe edition).
Now I'm fine since I paid 18€ - which feels about right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Würfel Reviews
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Like really???? 30€ is too expensive for a good game? With good components, big cards and art on the whole card with no borders.. really? I just cannot get it why people complain about prices so much. For me to pay 30€ for a card game is very ok price. And if the game is great then they deserve this money.

Regarding Terraforming Mars the complaint about price tag is not because it's just an expensive game BUT because it has at most OK quality components and rather awful quality art (and the art is what costs a lot usually). But eventually the game is really good and I can forgive that price tag.

Anyway, 30€ for a good board game (no matter the size that much) is fine if you get fun out of it I usually go in town for a lunch or dinner with my wife and we spend around 20-25€ for just a lunch/dinner...

Just my 2 cents. But I just couldn't be quiet anymore. Just don't get why people always complain about price tags where it is not the case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really can't compare Friday and TLE component wise. Anyone who has seen the size and quality of the cards in TLE knows what I mean.
TLE deserves a much higher price point for it's beautiful components. Also it's gameplay is excellent, solo and MP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peculiii wrote:
Really? Like really???? ... I just couldn't be quiet anymore. Just don't get why people always complain about price tags where it is not the case

Calm down, Sir. First of all, I didn't really complain but simply raised a question:

TimTix wrote:
So any thoughts? Is there more in the box that justifies the price?

Also, I got answers: delxue type cards, beautiful artwork. So that's fine.

But to answer your question:

peculiii wrote:
Really? Like really???? 30€ is too expensive for a good game? With good components, big cards and art on the whole card with no borders.. really?

Yes. Really. Definitely.

If there are lots of great small to middle games for about 20€, then 30€ are too much. (I explained that above. Also: I only assume that 30€ was the pricetag for this as that was the price I initially found. Now the price is down to about 20€ which just seems fine and imho proves my point.)

Apart from the probably expensive artwork (which I appreciate) the publisher apparenty chose to use deluxe type cards. So maybe (a thesis here, no complaint, nothing personal), the publisher is to blame for an unneccessarily expensive game (assuming a price of 30€).

What do I mean by "blame" here? That it might be the publisher's fault if people were turned off by the price. (And reading this thread, I'm not alone.)
Maybe it's a deluxe type production - but first of all, gamers want a game, not a piece of art. (Great artwork is awesome, but other cheaper games have that, too.) There also are many students or people with families in the hobby who happily spend 1/3 less and tolerate standard size cards.

Also... when I compare that to other works of culture... Do I want to pay 30-50% more for a "good" film at the cinema compared to an average film? Do I want to pay that much more because the production was expensive? No, I expect to pay the same for the ticket as usual. Maybe there's a 20% extra charge for overlength or 3D, but that's about it.
Do I want to pay that much more money for a 500 page paperback compared to a 250 page one? Or do I want to pay that much more because people say it's very good? No. I expect that the paperback costs about what paperbacks cost.

Don't get me wrong: I don't say, I judge a book by its number of pages.
I say: Paperbacks, theatre tickets and the like usually have a comparable price. As do small card games. They usually cost 10-20€ (in Germany). Maybe 25€. (Sure, 10€ is for a game like Bohnanza which is certainly touching mass market. But 20€ should be fine for a game like this?)

When HMS Dolores was about to come out, the first price information on BGG was 20+€ (I think). I found that inacceptable expensive for such a small game. It was 15€ at Essen which was perfectly fine.

Fine. I think, I'll like the game a lot and I'm happy I paid about 20€.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. I see I started to repeat myself. Sorry for that. I just like arguing too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received the game. First impressions:

Artwork is awesome. 56 + 15 unique cards are definitely worth extra money.

I guess, my irritation initially arose because in my books €30 is the threshold to a medium-big game. (Wir sind das Volk! is about 28€ and jam-packed with lots of development work, ideas, concepts and also components. By a small publisher. And I also like the artwork.)

I'd happily pay 20+€ for LTE. Just as other commentators did (22 pound).

I have to admit oversized cards are rather a negative for me. Footprint and that. (So that's why I wasn't excited when others mentioned that as a reason for the price.) I'd preferred linen finish and standard size.

Last, maybe this thread was useful for something and I can do a little bit more than just "complaining":

To me, the black icons are "full" (gain) and the white ones are "empty" (spend). No problem there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Shockley
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
It's a sub $25 game on certain sites currently. The component quality is top notch and it's a great game to boot. No complaints here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price on Osprey Publishing's website is £21.99, or approximately €25.

So, yes €30 is a bit high if that is what you are seeing. The price in USD on the Osprey site is $30.

TLE at Osprey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docsmagic.de have it for 24 euros in germany... just ordered mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather compare "The Lost Expedition" with "Dixit":
+/- the same number of beautifully ilustrated cards (Dixit size!) & some tokens+meeples. Therefore I think that the price around 25€ is fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
orlando lopes de sa
Belgium
Brussels - Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
iFriz wrote:
Yep, I said "I like it, but not at that price", but I've paid 17.7€ right now in Book Depository which seems a good price for the game.

I've also ordered a copy from book depository, however after 2 weeks still didn't arrived? Anyone else having the same problem? I live in Belgium, so it shouldn't take do much to arrive from the UK. On the website it says it was dispatched Thursday last week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.