Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the header of the PIFF list Rainer put a link to my comparison tool:
http://draedghawl.shalom.craimer.org/

You can quickly *ahem* and easily *ahem* compare your owned games with the wishlist (or actually any 2 parts of 2 collections) for occurrences of the same game. This way you can see if a friend wants to play a game you own or maybe if you have a game on your for trade list that the last person in the PIFF train has on his/her wishlist!

As you might have read above I said "*ahem*" twice... It seems the tool has some flaws (that I knew off when putting it live) and I was too lazy to fix them. With now enough time on my hands (between playing LOTRO) I think I can spend some time in fixing this.

This thread will be used to post updates from my side to the users and so that you can request features, fixes and whatever you want.

Thanks again to scraimer for letting me use his server as host for this tool!

Current list of fixes/feature requests:
1. Make it unnecessary to go back and repost the request when BGG XML API doesn't respond immediately. Done!
2. Show the wishlist ranking of a game. Done
3. Show the column "comment". Done
4. Compare multiple categories(wishlist, for trade, owned etc.) at once
5. Show wishlist ranking with text. Done
6. Show usernames instead of player # Done
7. Edit 500 error message.
8. Compare lists of multiple users.

I don't promise everything on this list will be done. It's just to show you what others have requested.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, showing comments would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:

You mean the column "comment" when you look at your owned collection and the column "wishlist comment" when looking at a wishlist?

I agree that that would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:

1. Make it unnecessary to go back and repost the request when BGG XML API doesn't respond immediately.
Of all discussed, those two would seem the most helpful to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
flaeryn wrote:

You mean the column "comment" when you look at your owned collection and the column "wishlist comment" when looking at a wishlist?

I agree that that would be useful.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tool will now automatically retry to fetch the collection. I've put in a delay of 3 seconds. During testing it occurred twice that 3 seconds didn't seem enough though, but all other times it was enough.
Let me now how you experience it. Maybe I need to make the delay a bit longer or retry again after another few seconds.

The tool will retry fetching your collection every 2 seconds.

This does mean that it takes a bit longer sometimes to load the page with the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wishlist ranking is now shown! Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super cute charmander loading image!

Also, I got this error when trying to compare my wishlist with my wishlist. Because... I know there are items that match

Quote:
I've waited very long for BGG. BGG might be really bussy, it's a very large collection or something else went wrong.I've waited very long for BGG. BGG might be really bussy, it's a very large collection or something else went wrong.
List of flaeryn is empty.

I tried to compare it to Marco's owned list and got this:

Quote:
I've waited very long for BGG. BGG might be really bussy, it's a very large collection or something else went wrong.
List of DraedGhawl is empty.

My wishlist is currently at 115 for the record, which I think seems a pretty typical length of those in PIFF. I tried comparing Marco's list to itself and still got the error (his is shorter than mine).

There's also a typo in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:

Also, I got this error when trying to compare my wishlist with my wishlist. Because... I know there are items that match

Quote:
I've waited very long for BGG. BGG might be really bussy, it's a very large collection or something else went wrong.I've waited very long for BGG. BGG might be really bussy, it's a very large collection or something else went wrong.

Quote:
I've waited very long for BGG. BGG might be really bussy, it's a very large collection or something else went wrong.

My wishlist is currently at 115 for the record, which I think seems a pretty typical length of those in PIFF. I tried comparing Marco's list to itself and still got the error (his is shorter than mine).

I don't get the error anymore, but that's probably because your collection is cached now.
Unfortunately sometimes it can take up to a minute to load a collection from the BGG API. I can't influence that time. I wait up to 30 seconds, before I stop trying. This time is influenced by the size of the collection and the number of other requests coming in at that moment. Which is shared with all those other custom apps...

I see the typo. Some day I'll fix that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it loads now, but it doesn't give me any info, just blank columns.
Nevermind, I forgot to change the default to wishlist lol. wow

Would be more helpful if it said "Like to Have", "Must Have", etc instead of just the number ranking, but good job

It would also be helpful to insert the BGG usernames instead of "player #"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Well, it loads now, but it doesn't give me any info, just blank columns.
Nevermind, I forgot to change the default to wishlist lol. wow

Would be more helpful if it said "Like to Have", "Must Have", etc instead of just the number ranking, but good job

It would also be helpful to insert the BGG usernames instead of "player #"

Will add those things to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Today during testing I experienced that the BGG XML API is currently really slow. The queue seems to be very long and the API really busy, because even a request for an empty wishlist gets queued and takes more than a minute to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completed 2 requests. Still two requests remaining:

5. Show wishlist ranking with text.

The last one is easiest, so I guess I'll do that one first.
Any requests involving readability/usability of the website are also welcome. (I'm not good at making websites pretty, but I can try )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you compare wishlist to owned, it duplicates the comment to the owned user's column.

I might be able to help with the readability/usability, but I think it looks fine. I don't need anything fancy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
If you compare wishlist to owned, it duplicates the comment to the owned user's column.

I might be able to help with the readability/usability, but I think it looks fine. I don't need anything fancy

Thanks, small copy-paste error shake

It was the difference between:
echo "<td>".$game->getComment()."</td>";
And:
echo "<td>".$game2->getComment()."</td>";

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Is done as well! I haven't had the time to test it very well, but it seems to work good now. Let me know if you find any issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Per usual, it gave me an error on first try, but the 2nd was successful.

Quote:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@draedghawl.shalom.craimer.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I'd suggest a link to this post in the error message as well (since you've got it on the landing page).

Something else that might be useful is the ability to compare more than one person's list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Cool. Per usual, it gave me an error on first try, but the 2nd was successful.

Quote:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@draedghawl.shalom.craimer.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I'd suggest a link to this post in the error message as well (since you've got it on the landing page).

Something else that might be useful is the ability to compare more than one person's list.

I'm not sure I'm able to edit that error message, as it's scraimer who hosts the tool, not me. I don't have full access to all configuration and files on the server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Scott
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just accidentally found this amazing tool, and it (almost) fills a need for me that I've been trying to fill off-and-on for a couple months. It's certainly the closest/easiest/best so far even without this feature request:

Could you add a checkbox that specifies NOT for the "against" list? It may not be applicable for all combinations, but here's my use case. I have a friend that likes to play as many new-to-him games as possible. He logs all of his first-plays to keep track of games he's played at least once. I frequently take "new" games to his house to play with him, but I struggle keeping track of what he's played from my collection.

Now I can easily see what he HAS played from my collection (compare Owned from me to Played from him) and could just look at the inverse while browsing my shelf, but it would be even easier if I could simply create the list from which to grab games (compare Owned from me to NOT Played from him).

Even if this does not happen, I am bookmarking your tool to use as the gold standard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
scotjn1 wrote:
I just accidentally found this amazing tool, and it (almost) fills a need for me that I've been trying to fill off-and-on for a couple months. It's certainly the closest/easiest/best so far even without this feature request:

Could you add a checkbox that specifies NOT for the "against" list? It may not be applicable for all combinations, but here's my use case. I have a friend that likes to play as many new-to-him games as possible. He logs all of his first-plays to keep track of games he's played at least once. I frequently take "new" games to his house to play with him, but I struggle keeping track of what he's played from my collection.

Now I can easily see what he HAS played from my collection (compare Owned from me to Played from him) and could just look at the inverse while browsing my shelf, but it would be even easier if I could simply create the list from which to grab games (compare Owned from me to NOT Played from him).

Even if this does not happen, I am bookmarking your tool to use as the gold standard!

Have you tried http://bgg.gloppy.nl/index_en.php ? that would work if he rates games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scotjn1 wrote:

That's a great idea. I like to play new games too, but I'm the only one that I know of that is consistently logging plays and on BGG. Other people in my group don't even seem to log games as want to play laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Scott
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
scotjn1 wrote:
<lots>

Have you tried http://bgg.gloppy.nl/index_en.php ? that would work if he rates games

Nope, no ratings. Thanks for the link, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scotjn1 wrote:

Will add this to my todo list. I will soon have some time for this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
scotjn1 wrote:

Will add this to my todo list. I will soon have some time for this

I believe I have succeeded and added this mode. It has been tested a bit and added to the website. I now got to prepare dinner so I currently don't have more time for testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.