Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, our Phil managed to get his copy of GoK earlier from the UK-Expo and was keen to play it with rest of us.

Our first game and we seemed ok with it and managed to try out all mechanics inc partial co-op.

However we were stumped with some of the monsters. I dont have the card in front of me, but it was related to the Minotaur. The issue was that prior to the battle, you roll (sneak or influence), but if you fail to get the right number of dice, the monster then takes no HP damage for the entire battle. With an initial HP of 4 and strength of 4, it basically meant that the battle was lost. Other players were then reluctant to go to same location as an initial failure to get the right sneak/influence roll meant they would be defeated and lose the whole day.

So,
1. Does "no battle damage" mean the same as no Mortal Wound....eg if a monster has 3 HP (and no battle damage inflicted for whole battle), I understand that if the player rolls a 5/6 for one or two dice the monster gets no damage. But what if the player had three/four dice and then rolled a 5/6 inflicting a mortal wound (ie instant death), does that count as battle damage (and in this case, no HP loss for monster) or does the monster die.

2. I know the game has been play-tested extensively, but only able to roll a 5/6 and in some cases (eg Gargoyles) only a 6 to defeat feels like the odds are really stacked against the player. It doesn't make the player more courageous...it tends to make the location worse than a gloomed one, ie avoid at all costs otherwise lose a whole day in defeat.

ps: Still waiting eagerly for the postie to bring for my copy!

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't take any wounds.
Think of it as a d&d monster that needs a +1 weapon to harm it. If you don't have one, run away until you level up & tool up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the intention - Kilforth is an incredibly dangerous world right out of the gate. Some of the enemies are absolutely badass, and you should avoid those monsters at all costs until you're powerful enough to take them on. Running from a Minotaur is a sound strategy.

I don't understand this Mortal Wound thing though - where are you getting this terminology from Milan? If you don't navigate the Minotaur's labyrinth you cannot touch it at all, none of your hits will do any damage.

I hope this helps clear things up, and all remaining copies are being shipped today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some real peril out there in the realm of Kilforth. Once you've crawled away to lick your wounds, best indeed to seek out lesser foes until your hero has honed their skills and built up an arsenal of some sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Fazakas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you shipped already to Romania? Will i get a notification about that?cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
There is some real peril out there in the realm of Kilforth. Once you've crawled away to lick your wounds, best indeed to seek out lesser foes until your hero has honed their skills and built up an arsenal of some sort.

Sound advice, James. cool

warlord76 wrote:
Did you shipped already to Romania? Will i get a notification about that?cool

Should be shipping out to you today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortal Wound...not sure where I heard it, possibly a film or another game (Allegiance?) but it's where the attack is so severe, that there's no scope of healing. A funny analogy might be that HP = elastoplast plasters...so you could say you could treat a wound with an elastoplast. That normally works for minor attacks. However, when someone's chopped off your head, there's not much an elastoplast can do :-)

Will keep away from Minotaurs for now. and thanks for the heads up on the shipping.

Lovely, gorgeous artwork. Landscape reminds me of Forbidden Island. Well done for pursuing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dipakSomak wrote:
Mortal Wound...not sure where I heard it, possibly a film or another game (Allegiance?) but it's where the attack is so severe, that there's no scope of healing. A funny analogy might be that HP = elastoplast plasters...so you could say you could treat a wound with an elastoplast. That normally works for minor attacks. However, when someone's chopped off your head, there's not much an elastoplast can do :-)

Will keep away from Minotaurs for now. and thanks for the heads up on the shipping.

Lovely, gorgeous artwork. Landscape reminds me of Forbidden Island. Well done for pursuing it.

Awesome to hear that, thanks Milan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hughes
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
This is the intention - Kilforth is an incredibly dangerous world right out of the gate. Some of the enemies are absolutely badass, and you should avoid those monsters at all costs until you're powerful enough to take them on. Running from a Minotaur is a sound strategy.

I don't understand this Mortal Wound thing though - where are you getting this terminology from Milan? If you don't navigate the Minotaur's labyrinth you cannot touch it at all, none of your hits will do any damage.

I hope this helps clear things up, and all remaining copies are being shipped today!

On this same subject, are the monster tests the same as the others as in if the test for the minotaur requires 3 study success to be able to hurt him and the first roll you roll 1 success, do you still get to roll more to add to those successes or is it a fail automatically if you do not roll all three successes at the start of the battle?

Hope that made sense. In our play of the game last night, I was a little confused if you could do it like a normal test or not since the card says perform a "test". Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Milan, the Minotaur may be bad, but the Ghost is worse (Test: Study 3).

In our first game (2-player) we drew the Ghost as our first monster, and then soon after that we encountered the Gargoyle. Needless to say, those locations were avoided for quite some time!

Not to worry, though. Eventually my fellow player acquired something (a spell, I think) that defeated the Ghost from an adjoining area.

Quite the game, can't wait to play it with my regular group of four.

People at my FLGS commented on the beautiful artwork. It stands out even for people just walking by the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psythe wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

On this same subject, are the monster tests the same as the others as in if the test for the minotaur requires 3 study success to be able to hurt him and the first roll you roll 1 success, do you still get to roll more to add to those successes or is it a fail automatically if you do not roll all three successes at the start of the battle?

Hope that made sense. In our play of the game last night, I was a little confused if you could do it like a normal test or not since the card says perform a "test". Thanks in advance.

You're going to need all those three successes at the start of the battle. Or a back-up plan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.