Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this huge picture of Cthulhu Wars on the NPR site and got really confused. It was like a clash of two things that should never meet. Lovecraft would be proud.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/07/530186764/h-p-lovecrafts-monst...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Erikson
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Awesome!

Should keep NPR fans occupied until the next election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
I just saw this huge picture of Cthulhu Wars on the NPR site and got really confused. It was like a clash of two things that should never meet. Lovecraft would be proud.

Great to see this type of coverage, but the expansion was not "most anticipated board game of 2017". Come on NPR shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah not a great article by any means but good to see the coverage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Onslaught Two was actually the 51st most anticipated thing. But if you drop that 5!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda cool that they noticed my little just-for-fun unofficial most anticipated competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Great to see this type of coverage, but the expansion was not "most anticipated board game of 2017". Come on NPR shake

It was for me. That's why it was nominee #1.

It did take second overall in 2014: Final Results: 20 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

And placed in the 20 Most in 2015: Final Results: 20 Most Anticipated Games of 2015

In my opinion that's pretty impressive given the price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
yeah not a great article by any means but good to see the coverage

Classic NPR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh...
I live and work and play in DC. Home to both NPR and the cited game store Labyrinth.

BTW - NPR headquarters is a fine piece of architecture, and the FLGS is superb.

It's funny how young bucks think there's only been a proliferation of Cthulhu games in the past 3-4 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

It did take second overall in 2014: Final Results: 20 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

And placed in the 20 Most in 2015: Final Results: 20 Most Anticipated Games of 2015

I'm not disputing CW's status as anticipated, just NPR's ability to read a list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
rvinyard wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

I'm not disputing CW's status as anticipated, just NPR's ability to read a list.

While I agree with you on principal... BGG was incredibly byzantine when I first started using this site years ago. I have grown to appreciate it's particular brand of insanity over the years, but it is not easy to understand the first few times you log on.

So, yes journalists should get it right, and I also get why you might not be able to read one of these lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW... I don't know if anyone noticed, but it was written by an intern. Pretty good job if this is one of their first articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
BTW... I don't know if anyone noticed, but it was written by an intern. Pretty good job if this is one of their first articles.

I did notice that. I wonder if articles like that are assigned to them or if they get to pick the topic? Either way, it would seem like there's a budding gamer working at NPR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
rvinyard wrote:

I did notice that. I wonder if articles like that are assigned to them or if they get to pick the topic? Either way, it would seem like there's a budding gamer working at NPR.

We have spies Cultists everywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Says who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordZon wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Says who?

It was for me! Got my stuff in yesterday. Incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask what/who is/are NPR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
National public radio. Leftist leaning media outlet. I listen to them and they're great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
National public radio. Leftist leaning media outlet. I listen to them and they're great.

Agreed on the left leaning, but what's really nice about them is they will go out of their way to get someone on the other side of the issue. Perhaps its leftist unfairness guilt. Either way, I appreciate it.

I love the fact that it is not entirely beyond reason that Cthulhu Wars would show up there. Whereas the only play CW would likely get in other media areas would be to talk about the moral degredation of our society, of be more of a, "Look what those freaks play," sort of story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:

Don't mean to get into RSP, but it's enough to say that it's a non-profit media channel here in the US. There are plenty of people that would say it has an establishment or even conservative lean.

http://www.npr.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to NPR every day and I feel they are very balanced and neutral. They try and interview across the political spectrum and give point of view from all sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Grubich
United States
Germantown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I have NPR on the radio in the QC lab at work and listen to them on the commute to and from work. I have to agree with Mike Beiter above me that they are quite balanced and informative.

I was quite happy to see this article. They had a great article on the amazing Chuck Schuldiner, the driving force behind my favorite band; Death some time back. I love that NPR covers such things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron_Salamander wrote:
I have NPR on the radio in the QC lab at work and listen to them on the commute to and from work. I have to agree with Mike Beiter above me that they are quite balanced and informative.

I was quite happy to see this article. They had a great article on the amazing Chuck Schuldiner, the driving force behind my favorite band; Death some time back. I love that NPR covers such things.

Has their stuff ever been remastered? I didn't really get into metal until after high school (aside from the most well known acts like Pantera, Tool, etc.), and so never even heard of Death until after they'd stopped doing albums. As a result, difficult to get into with such old production value. I always think I'd like them, but don't know where to start, and am disappointed with the bits I hear due to the sound quality.

PS - don't get me wrong; I absolutely adore music from bygone eras; Uriah Heep is probably my all time favorite band. But the original era of thrash and death metal of the 80s isn't usually my thing because the sound quality is often atrocious, until someone remasters it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Grubich
United States
Germantown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
existoid wrote:
Iron_Salamander wrote:

Has their stuff ever been remastered? I didn't really get into metal until after high school (aside from the most well known acts like Pantera, Tool, etc.), and so never even heard of Death until after they'd stopped doing albums. As a result, difficult to get into with such old production value. I always think I'd like them, but don't know where to start, and am disappointed with the bits I hear due to the sound quality.

PS - don't get me wrong; I absolutely adore music from bygone eras; Uriah Heep is probably my all time favorite band. But the original era of thrash and death metal of the 80s isn't usually my thing because the sound quality is often atrocious, until someone remasters it.

I got into this exact genre in high school, I graduated in 1988 so I know the era well Arthur! And yes there are remastered Death albums around and about. Scream Bloody Gore had the lowest sound quality of their albums and of course was their first album so no shocker there but I think they remastered them all or at least the first 3 albums (Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy, and Spirtual Healing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I listen to NPR every day and I feel they are very balanced and neutral. They try and interview across the political spectrum and give point of view from all sides.

I agree, NPR is constantly reporting on views from the right that I do not agree with.

This is a good thing as sometimes the speakers will explain their reasoning and I will agree with a view that formally I would have been against. Thus my mind is opened more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.