Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Just saw a good review of this game and started to wonder if it plays good at solo.

Does anyone have any experience playing solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Amazing. My opinion obviously.

Also I reccommend you take part in the Solo Terraformer Challenge it's in one of the forums. makes it a bit more fun.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1789075/solo-terraforming-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Beal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its become one of my favourite solo games. Definitely recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Murphy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love playing it solo. My wife also likes to chime in when I play solo, which is great fun: she's pretty good at seeing things I miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Surprisingly addictive as a solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good, a race to terraform the planet inside of 14 generations. It adds the second deck of cards (Corporate Era). It's not my favorite solo of all time, but it's a good way to kill an hour if you enjoy building an engine and letting it do cool stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good news guys!

Thanks for the input.

I decided to start buying soloable games recently and this one is definitely on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As great as it is multi-player, I may actually enjoy TM more solo...and I am not a big solo gamer. It is engaging, tense, and very replayable. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't generally enjoy playing games solo, but I did enjoy this one. It retains a lot of the feel of the multiplayer game... more than most "beat your high score" solo games, primarily because you're still trying to do the same thing you do in the multiplayer games, which is terraform Mars.

You'll often struggle up until the last turn not being sure if you will manage it or not. Of course, you're still trying to beat your high score... but that comes at a risk. If you try to maximize your score, you'll likely add more risk of failing to actually terraform Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I've never been interested in solo gaming, but I love this game so much I finally caved. As much fun solo as it is with a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
champalaune christ
France
echirolles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing it solo, very chalenging and immersive.

Not easy to win but it doesn't matter,

As you are easy to play solo,

I notice the result depends for 50% of the cards you pull early on the round but there are many choices to take for balance the bad pull of the four cards.

It is a great game and I play it solo often,

christ from France
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david
Spain
Iowa
flag msg tools
Great solo game but this mode is an added, and burned quickly. The real game is so much interesting with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Sannholm
Sweden
Uddevalla
flag msg tools
Check out my Youtube channel, Boardgames with Niramas for Board game Runthroughs and Unboxings!
badge
www.Youtube.com/c/BoardgameswithNiramas
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it, even so much that I am doing a recorded series of playthroughs for all the 12 corporations

https://youtu.be/-O8WKbzTVdA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Edwards
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo variant of Terraforming Mars is really strong. It doesn't take too long to set up and tear down, and games tend to last an enjoyable 90 minutes or so. During that time, you're playing a really solid game full of interesting decisions with tons of theme.

I find it immensely satisfying, and honestly think it stands amongst the highest regarded solo games out there, the likes of Mage Knight et al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:
That's good news guys!

Thanks for the input.

I decided to start buying soloable games recently and this one is definitely on the list.

You should join us over at the 1 Player guild where there us an excellent discussion of solo playable board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Venshad wrote:
That's good news guys!

Thanks for the input.

You should join us over at the 1 Player guild where there us an excellent discussion of solo playable board games.

Where is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Player guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
It's good, a race to terraform the planet inside of 14 generations. It adds the second deck of cards (Corporate Era). It's not my favorite solo of all time, but it's a good way to kill an hour if you enjoy building an engine and letting it do cool stuff.

I was baffled when I noticed the stuff in the rulebook about playing *without* the Corporate Era cards. I can't imagine the game is anywhere near as satisfying that way.

The one thing I don't like about TerraMars as a solo game is that the deck of cards is absurdly huge, and about a quarter of them are effectively blank or close to it. Obviously, this is necessary for game balance, but it means that shuffling at the start of the game is a chore, and can lead to a lot of annoying repetition across multiple games. I've been strongly inclined to leave the deck unshuffled between plays, just so different cards can be a factor in the second round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
collectible cardinal wrote:
The one thing I don't like about TerraMars as a solo game is that the deck of cards is absurdly huge, and about a quarter of them are effectively blank or close to it. Obviously, this is necessary for game balance, but it means that shuffling at the start of the game is a chore, and can lead to a lot of annoying repetition across multiple games. I've been strongly inclined to leave the deck unshuffled between plays, just so different cards can be a factor in the second round.

Oh, it's not that high! Out of the 208 cards (no promos), I count:

5 cards that are completely useless in solo play:
050 Virus
066 Land Claim
099 Toll Station
121 Sabotage
173 Protected Habitats

3 cards that are significantly worse, to the point of being almost never played in solo:
107 Media Archives (in a solo game, not enough events get played to make this profitable).
124 Hired Raiders (I'll only play it if I draw it free, or if I'm Interplanetary Cinematics).
125 Hackers (I've never played it in solo; the energy hit hurts too much).

4 "Consortium"-type cards, which allow you to reduce someone's production of a particular resource and increase your own - I've found these useful enough to play in solo games, though they're not as good as in multiplayer:
002 Asteroid Mining Consortium
061 Great Escarpment Consortium
160 Power Supply Consortium
201 Energy Tapping

3 other "reduce any production for a benefit" type cards, which are situational in solo, but certainly not useless - and for that matter, they're almost equally situational in multiplayer, due to the VP hit!
004 Cloud Seeding
178 Heat Trappers
183 Biomass Combustors

Total: I'm comfortable saying that the total number of "effectively blank cards" in solo play is somewhere between 8 and 15 out of 208 - so 4 to 7 percent.

Note 1: Almost all of the "animal" cards (such as Birds or Predators) allow you to hit someone else a little, but their main point is generating VP for yourself - so they're still worthwhile.

Note 2: Likewise most of the "asteroid" cards and a few others let you remove plants from anyone - but that's a side benefit, not the main reason for playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cards which do nothing but generate VP, such as most of the animals, are in the "mostly blank" category to me. It's hard enough to win solo at all; I don't pay much attention to cards with a VP payoff, since they don't help you terraform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:

Oh, it's not that high! Out of the 208 cards (no promos), I count:

5 cards that are completely useless in solo play:
050 Virus
066 Land Claim
099 Toll Station
121 Sabotage
173 Protected Habitats

3 cards that are significantly worse, to the point of being almost never played in solo:
107 Media Archives (in a solo game, not enough events get played to make this profitable).
124 Hired Raiders (I'll only play it if I draw it free, or if I'm Interplanetary Cinematics).
125 Hackers (I've never played it in solo; the energy hit hurts too much).

4 "Consortium"-type cards, which allow you to reduce someone's production of a particular resource and increase your own - I've found these useful enough to play in solo games, though they're not as good as in multiplayer:
002 Asteroid Mining Consortium
061 Great Escarpment Consortium
160 Power Supply Consortium
201 Energy Tapping

3 other "reduce any production for a benefit" type cards, which are situational in solo, but certainly not useless - and for that matter, they're almost equally situational in multiplayer, due to the VP hit!
004 Cloud Seeding
178 Heat Trappers
183 Biomass Combustors

Total: I'm comfortable saying that the total number of "effectively blank cards" in solo play is somewhere between 8 and 15 out of 208 - so 4 to 7 percent.

Note 1: Almost all of the "animal" cards (such as Birds or Predators) allow you to hit someone else a little, but their main point is generating VP for yourself - so they're still worthwhile.

Note 2: Likewise most of the "asteroid" cards and a few others let you remove plants from anyone - but that's a side benefit, not the main reason for playing them.

The consortium cards (or Monopoly cards as I like to label them) are great in solo, since they raise production at a good price. Cloud seeding is also good, and you can usually afford the -1 VP on Heat trappers and Biomass Comb. if you really need the energy.

Asteroid mining consortium is one of my favourite cards if I'm going for jovian either solo or multiplayer. It's a cheap jovian tag and it allows you to increase your tit prod at the same time that you slow down a potential competitor for that strategy. Like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been strongly inclined to leave the deck unshuffled between plays, just so different cards can be a factor in the second round.
I've been doing that for my first couple of solo games to get to see all of the cards.

Once you know all of the cards it's more interesting to shuffle them, though. Variety is introduced by picking different corporations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.