Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I'm about to retire another character, so I'll be upgrading some cards.

I keep looking at the "add target" enhancement which costs 50 gold. But I don't really know how this works.

1) Can it be used on a melee attack that hits one adjacent enemy to hit 2 enemies? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way, and that there is no enhancement for this, actually (there are only additional hex attacks). I THINK the meaning of "+ 1 target" for 50 gold is that it is placed beside a card that already has multiple targets (like Spellweaver cards for example), and has an upgrade slot beside it for an additional target. Is this correct? But I know of no melee attacks that specify "targets", so its looking like its only for ranged attacks? Furthermore, since Ranged attacks with only 1 target don't actually show the number of targets, that these cards cannot be enhanced to add an additional target, correct? One thing that throws me off is that Living Bones make melee attacks but have multiple "targets". Lastly, if the cost for any enhancement is doubled for any card with multiple targets, AND + target only works for attacks that already show 2 or more targets, then wouldn't the cost ALWAYS be 100?

2) Similarly, how does a "+ target" perk card work then? Does this work on Melee attacks too when you draw it, like Living Bones' ability? One reason I ask is that this is a perk on my wife's character, but that character has mostly melee attacks.

Please advise. Sorry that I'm still so confused on this one Thanks again for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallace
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
1. You are correct in your assumption of how the enhancements work. You can only add a hex to a card that has those red hexes on them already. Some classes (even starting ones) have melee attacks that have hexes on them that you can add to. Ranged attacks that say something like attack 3, range 3, target 2 sometimes (assuming a little dot is next to the target line) can be upgraded to be able to hit an additional target within range of the attack, wit the 50 gold target +1 enhancement.

2. The +target card works like this. If you flip it over during an attack you can add a target to the current attack if there is a monster within range of the attack (in the case of melee if it's adjacent to you) and if it is a monster not currently being hit by the attack (can't hit the same target twice with the same attack). So when you flip the add target card you pick a new target, draw the damage modifier card for your initial target, then draw a second damage modifier card for your additional target if you could find one within range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the 50gp "add target", is actually a 50 gp +1 that you put on a "target" line. So it only can be added to actions that already have multiple targets that's aren't AoE. Like 3 attack, range 3, target 2 type of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lewellen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Right, except it costs 100g because it affects multiple enemies (doubles in this case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlewellen wrote:
Right, except it costs 100g because it affects multiple enemies (doubles in this case).

Which basically means it will never cost 50 lol, always 100+. My understanding is this was done to avoid multiple unnecessary rules for enhancements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's the part that seemed weird to me. If that's truly how it works then when would you ever pay only 50 for a +1 target enhancement? Why not just have it cost 100 from the start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Because, as Justin said, then you'd have to add an unnecessary rule about how the doubling effect doesn't apply to target enhancements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.