Terraforming Mars» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Foreign tech" Research phase variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preliminary warning, I have played the game a fair bit of times, I love it the way it is. This seems to me like it might add some "spice" to an already well seasoned game.

Think Star realms (or any deckbuilder really) but what if during the research phase there exists a newly drawn set of (players + 1) cards sitting above the board. (In addition to the hand of 4 per normal).

Starting with last and going to first player each player can pay X dollars to buy only one of the cards from this pool. After first player buys his/her choice of the 2 remainder cards the last card is discarded and next generation will include another set of (players + 1) cards. These cards are only available during research.

This would let someone maybe get a better hand than they already had, but it also gives away what the card would be as they select it. I was thinking cost would be 4, maybe 5 credits to buy this card?

Maybe it could be played with draft, maybe it wouldn't work so well, I don't really know. Our group doesn't play with draft hardly ever and I wasn't a huge fan of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this meant to replace or be added to the current research phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Is this meant to replace or be added to the current research phase?

added.

Normal 4 cards during research and in addition the above mentioned cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting idea.

Is this meant as a check on unlucky draws? If so, it might need an extra rule, perhaps that the draft pool is only available to players who buy zero or one card from their own 4 card draw. Otherwise, you are just as often giving extra to the player who got a good draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Interesting idea.

Is this meant as a check on unlucky draws? If so, it might need an extra rule, perhaps that the draft pool is only available to players who buy zero or one card from their own 4 card draw. Otherwise, you are just as often giving extra to the player who got a good draw.

In part, yes, it's to help those with bad draws, but there is no way to stop someone with a good draw from now getting a better draw.

Though forcing someone to have to discard at least 1 (or 2) cards before being able to buy from the selection is a good idea too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
How 'bout this:

The buy however many of their regular four research cards first.
Then they can buy one of the face-up ones.
The cost of the face-up card is equal to the number of regular research cards they bought +1.

So if they didn't buy any of their research cards, the one card only costs 1 MC. If they bought all four, the face-up one costs 5 MC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
How 'bout this:

The buy however many of their regular four research cards first.
Then they can buy one of the face-up ones.
The cost of the face-up card is equal to the number of regular research cards they bought +1.

So if they didn't buy any of they're research cards, the one card only costs 1 MC. If they bought all four, the face-up one costs 5 MC.

^^
That sounds awesome

Though on average I find myself buying 1 or 2 cards per turn in any game so maybe make the cost be cards kept + 2?
It wouldn't to me make sense to (on an average turn) keep 1 card and then buy a second card of my choice for 2 MC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how much value getting the extra card that you actually get to choose is, versus everyone else knowing that you have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.