Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled upon this game on Kickstarter earlier this week, and it looks really good! It appears to be a more thematic (and cool) variant of the Pandemic/Flashpoint family of co-op crisis management games. However, it looks like this game evolves the genre in several new and exciting ways.

Some of the new elements that I see in this game design as compared to its mechanical predecessors:
- Each player controls two characters, giving a broader mix of available things to do on your turn.
- Your characters can get weapons and gear, so their abilities evolve throughout the game.
- Players can utilitize board location-specific special actions, seeded randomly at the start of the game using Location cards.
- Each board location has 4 different "worker placement" spots that can be occupied by either enemies or players' characters. These locations tie to special bonuses provided by the Location cards, so if you want to trigger a specific Location bonus and the corresponding spot is blocked by an enemy, you need to defeat the enemy first. Cool!
- Enemies have varied strengths and abilities, even within the same type of enemy. You don't see the strength/abilities of each enemy until you "blindly" select them from the pool of available standees.
- Players can attempt to complete side missions to gain addition benefits.
- The game ends with a big, full-on battle with the enemy robot.

While this game may look like an Ameritrash dice-chucker, there are actually no dice in the game! If you're a fan of euro-game co-ops, I think this game will be right up your alley. It's already (barely) funded, but I'm just really surprised it hasn't received a lot more backer support. Any thoughts on what is holding people back from backing it?

EDIT - Fixed typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly? I think the miniature-mad KS crowd saw the cardboard standees and looked the other way. That's not a knock on the designers for not including minis, because I don't think minis are the be-all/end-all of a game, but that's just the KS mentality right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
Honestly? I think the miniature-mad KS crowd saw the cardboard standees and looked the other way. That's not a knock on the designers for not including minis, because I don't think minis are the be-all/end-all of a game, but that's just the KS mentality right now.

That's an interesting thought. I just backed Heroes of Land, Air & Sea, so I get the minis hype. But I love how this game incorporates unit stats into the standee form factor. To get this same functionality with minis, something like a Clix base would be required.

Anyway, I think the game play will really shine. I think people will play the game and think, "Why didn't I back this game when I had the chance?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
$60 USD plus shipping added later is an unattractive price point for a game with standees. The board is incredibly blah/abstract. The publisher's previous games have not been rated particularly well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
$60 USD plus shipping added later is an unattractive price point for a game with standees. The board is incredibly blah/abstract. The publisher's previous games have not been rated particularly well.

Fair point on the price. Probably should be around $50+shipping, but I suspect the large amount of cardboard is what's pushing the price up.

The publisher's previous game, Secrets of the Lost Tomb, has a 7.5 rating on BGG. I think 7.5 is generally considered a very solid rating, and the game has already had a second print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
The BGG scale rates a 5 as a game that is slightly boring, which for me is a bad game (not an average game). So I think the bgg guidelines tend to make a 6-7 average. Anyway, personal gripes with the bgg rating system aside-

i have noticed the pledges have been on average going down with time. I was curious to know why, which is why I came to check it out to see if there are any controversies I missed. I think it may suffer because-

1. Lack of bgg buzz. I mean, there are only 4 threads here discussing the game.

2. Competition from allot of big cool looking games lately. I mean, I had to drop my Clash of Rage and Sine Tempore pledges because I can't justify the expense. Not to mention Zombicide, Heroes of Land Air and Sea, Path of Light and Shadow and others. Even miniature heavy games (Rise of Fighters) seem to be suffering.

3. They mention it draws inspiration from Deadof a Winter and Pandemic. Just at a glance, it looks very similar to dead of winter with robots.

4. Maybe people don't seem that interested. I mean, there is no buzz from playtesters on here. Only 1 undead Viking review.

5. For a game with no minis, shipping seems expensive (about the same price as HoLAS). That may be hurting the international audience.

6. Some of those new elements seem to be around a lot of other games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pledged but as you say I am also pledged to but undecided on:

Lords of Hellas

Zombicide Green Horde

And already committed to:-

Heroes of Land Air and Sea

Path of light and Shadow

Hannibal and Hamilcar

There's only so much money I can dedicate to board games, even less to storing them

I suspect minis would just hoist the price of this up more, and as we've acknowledged, there are already too many mini games out there

Having them as an add-on isn't a bad idea, but yeah, still trying to decide if I want to pay $79 + $15 shipping for this

Rahdo has just raved about the game though, which hasn't helped lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
MrVarnor wrote:
I have pledged but as you say I am also pledged to but undecided on:

Lords of Hellas

Zombicide Green Horde

And already committed to:-

Heroes of Land Air and Sea

Path of light and Shadow

Hannibal and Hamilcar

There's only so much money I can dedicate to board games, even less to storing them

I suspect minis would just hoist the price of this up more, and as we've acknowledged, there are already too many mini games out there

Having them as an add-on isn't a bad idea, but yeah, still trying to decide if I want to pay $79 + $15 shipping for this

Rahdo has just raved about the game though, which hasn't helped lol

I do agree that I don't want another miniature-heavy game. And the Rahdo runthrough really helped in terms of me deciding to stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise with myself. I'll stay with the campaign after Rahdo. Nefore watching him I was really really unsure

That man causes me to spend way too much money on tabletop games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo really sold me on it.

To be honest, the first pictures I saw of Metal Dawn when someone linked it it just didn't look visually appealing.

The first two pictures on the KS of the board, one it is very small, it makes it look uglier than it is, and the other it is at such an angle that you can see very little detail.

Add in that... well, I just don't like standees that much and I wasn't interested.

Tbh, I still think the board is very bland looking. But the gameplay sounds fun from watching the Rahdo playthrough, so I guess I'm backing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just taken a look at the Terminator "minis game" that I backed then pulled out of because although the minis looked awesome the base game play and rules had a lot of people bothered, there appeared to be a lot of "chopped off" bits of game that were being re-introduced as add-ons, and there were distinct lack of video playthroughs / reviews

It appears since then things have been changed and chopped even further, shipping is a major concern because of weight for those who added loads of extras, etc etc

At least this games core gameplay has been played by someone like Richard Ham and he liked it, as did Jen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.