Subject: Tired Game Designs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see another company/designer get a crack at this IP. I have nothing against WOTC, as they put out some quality stuff, but their board games based on D&D are so tired. It really needs a blood infusion. So many fans who would kill for a great D&D board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But this is a system that hasn't been used on D&D. In fact, it has only been used for the original game.

Besides, it's a bit early to judge the game, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isn't Tyrants of the Underdark supposed to be quite good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneoldgamer wrote:
But this is a system that hasn't been used on D&D. In fact, it has only been used for the original game.

Besides, it's a bit early to judge the game, isn't it?

Yeah, too early to judge this game- but it is still a retread of an existing one. Maybe I am projecting my wishes/expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hesquidor wrote:

Haven't tried it. I'll take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hesquidor wrote:

It is. Also it is by Gale Force Nine, not WotC although of course it is under licence. Assault of the Giants is also supposed to be really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of great D&D board games.

Lords of Waterdeep - fantastic worker placement game
Conquest of Nerath - area control with heroes and dungeons
The "Adventure System" series - co-op dungeon crawl
Tyrants of the Underdark - deck builder / area control
Assault of the Giants - hand management / area control

I'm looking forward to Betrayal at Baldur's Gate. House on the Hill is a good game but the theme has never been my thing. This reskin looks cool though.

Hmmm... I think you may have just given me a podcast topic, "D&D Boardgames"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be completely honest, I would rather have a proven game system re-skinned than a new system that sucks. I am looking forward to this one! That said, if I had already played Betrayal, I would probably feel the same. But then there is Star Trek Frontiers...... never mind! Refer to the first sentence above!!!!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Roth
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
Would love to see another company/designer get a crack at this IP. I have nothing against WOTC, as they put out some quality stuff, but their board games based on D&D are so tired. It really needs a blood infusion. So many fans who would kill for a great D&D board game.

Keep an eye on Dragonfire... it is based on the Shadowrun: Crossfire system which is great and has tons of potential that was not fully used in Crossfire. If they make the right changes and add some mechanics (and it looks like they do exactly all the right stuff at the moment!), this will be REALLY good and a heavy hitter to be reckoned with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this going to be a DnD version of an awful game? Or are they going to try to fix all the stuff that made it awful to begin with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humza Salim
United States
Gilbert
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rock Paper Wizard is an excellent DnD party game! It's become a regular for my group now-- short, wacky fun for 5-6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Dekker
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
To be completely honest, I would rather have a proven game system re-skinned than a new system that sucks. I am looking forward to this one! That said, if I had already played Betrayal, I would probably feel the same. But then there is Star Trek Frontiers...... never mind! Refer to the first sentence above!!!!

-Ski

Is this a proven system though? I have Betrayal and honestly there are quite a few flaws with implementation of the game. The rules are messy, haunts are unclear and game balance is all over the place. The game will also introduce things (a room filled with smoke, a dog that can fetch things) that are never really used.

I would say that a game like Eldritch Horror has a much better proven system. It's a different game (no traitor mechanic) but it actually scales depending on the number of players, the rules are a lot clearer and the items/clues/etc are frequently used and referred to.

While I have no desire to sell/get rid of Betrayal any time soon, I see no real reason to get this new version either. Looks like the same game with the same flaws, just a different theme. Maybe once reviewers get their hands on this game I can get more enthused about this game. Especially looking forward to Zee's review since he was also pretty critical about Widdow's Walk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I enjoy playing Betrayal, as deeply flawed as it is. I don't actually own it though despite being on my wishlist to buy. Even if Baldur's Gate doesn't improve the rules the theme alone would make me far more inclined to buy Baldur than Hill.

I can only hope it does attempt to fix things though. Widows Walk was pretty big let down as an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal is fun if you accept it for what it is, a very random experience/story generator. You don't win because you're the best player and made the best decisions, you win because the game screwed you over the least. So throw out the idea that player skill means a ton, and just accept that win or lose, at least interesting things are going to happen.

If you can't, then Betrayal isn't really for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this game. Betrayal at House on the Hill has it's problems but generally I've had a ton of fun playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kriegschatten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
To be completely honest, I would rather have a proven game system re-skinned than a new system that sucks.

Unfortunately, WOTC seems to release re-skins of old systems that suck (i.e. the Castle Ravenloft series of games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hesquidor wrote:

One of my top games from 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.