Normandy '44» Forums » General

Subject: Great game with friends, a few q's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys,

A few friends and I got together yesterday to play a game, and what more fitting game to play on June 6th than N44? This was our first ftf game and we all had a good time, even though it took longer than I had planned for. We got to turn 7 after about 6 hours, I thought we'd get the whole 22 turn campaign done in that time! In any case it was a great time and we all enjoyed the experience.

We had a relatively easy time playing and finding rules clarifications in the rulebook but a few things got missed. Whetehr we just didn't find it or misunderstood Im not sure, maybe someone can help with anfew questions I have.

- Supply is traced through roads back to beachheads, does this mean if an opponent controls the cities/ roads leading to the beachheads it puts units, possible the entire army, out of supply? If units are next to each other hex-to-hex, can they trace supply even if no roads are present?

A good example of this is near the 82nd Airborne landing zones. If the Germans control Caretan and St.Eglais (?), those are the only 2 roads leading east to Utah beach. Without control of one of these 2 cities is the 82nd our of supply?

- a scattered unit cannot move, if it is forced to retreat is it eliminated?

- when a 3step unit is eliminated, is the cadre removed from the game or replaced back to the display?

- Late in the game I saw the rule that if an armor shift is used in combat and a step loss needs to be taken, it has to come from the unit that provided the shift. Does this apply to attack and defense? Does it also apply to troop quality shifts? If an EX result is rolled does the opponent still get to choose or must it still come from the unit providing the shift?

We didn't plan on playing the 7 turn mini game but I think the next time we play we'll go with that scenario. I tallied the scores at the end just for fun and see how everyone did and the allies had 16 points going into the 7th turn with clear weather. The 101st and 82nd had pushed up to the last strongpoint leading to Cherbourg, while the units that landed at Utah and Omaha were just outside StLo, being held up by a few German units controlling the 2 hill hexes to the east. The Brits were stuck and heavy back and forth fighting was the order of the day at Caen. The Germans and abrits were taking heavy losses. The Brits held the towns surrounding Caen but the city itself was controlled by the Germans.

One interesting note for this game was the weather. The allies rolled 3 storms in 6 turns! Hehe.

Thx for any help!

Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:

- Supply is traced through roads back to beachheads, does this mean if an opponent controls the cities/ roads leading to the beachheads it puts units, possible the entire army, out of supply? If units are next to each other hex-to-hex, can they trace supply even if no roads are present?

A good example of this is near the 82nd Airborne landing zones. If the Germans control Caretan and St.Eglais (?), those are the only 2 roads leading east to Utah beach. Without control of one of these 2 cities is the 82nd our of supply?

The supply trace rules are fairly liberal in this game but supply must usually trace along a road (unless you're five hexes or less from from a beachhead). Controlling the road or crossroads towns will disrupt supply, but friendly units next to each other allows supply to trace. So certain towns and villages become important to take.

Quote:

I am not certain but I don't believe so. I have not played that way. A scattered unit cannot move, but that is not because it is immobile like a strongpoint. It just denotes that it's in disarray and taking the turn to get back in formation before going back out to fight. I've always played that they can retreat if forced to.

Quote:
- when a 3step unit is eliminated, is the cadre removed from the game or replaced back to the display?

The cadre is placed back on the display on top of the unit that originally replaced with the cadre counter. A replacment point will then place the cadre back on the map and future replacements to that unit will replenish steps.

Quote:
- Late in the game I saw the rule that if an armor shift is used in combat and a step loss needs to be taken, it has to come from the unit that provided the shift. Does this apply to attack and defense? Does it also apply to troop quality shifts? If an EX result is rolled does the opponent still get to choose or must it still come from the unit providing the shift?

Per rules 12.2, in EX or A1/D2 result, the defender can select any unit to suffer a step loss. Otherwise, the the attacker must take step loss from any unit giving a shift, whether TQ or Armor.

The defender can choose to allocate losses however he wishes.

Quote:
We didn't plan on playing the 7 turn mini game but I think the next time we play we'll go with that scenario. I tallied the scores at the end just for fun and see how everyone did and the allies had 16 points going into the 7th turn with clear weather. The 101st and 82nd had pushed up to the last strongpoint leading to Cherbourg, while the units that landed at Utah and Omaha were just outside StLo, being held up by a few German units controlling the 2 hill hexes to the east. The Brits were stuck and heavy back and forth fighting was the order of the day at Caen. The Germans and abrits were taking heavy losses. The Brits held the towns surrounding Caen but the city itself was controlled by the Germans.

Sounds like you had fun! St Lo and the gates of Cherbourg is good progress for Turn 7. Caen is very hard to get the Germans dug out of, in my experience. That with the lower cadre limit for the British, has been the cause of nearly all Allied losses I've had. I wonder if it's better to try to surround Caen from the southwest and starve it out rather than try to attack head on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
So in this picture, assuming the beach at Utah is open and an available supply source. Is the 82nd Airborne in or out of supply and why?

I think they are in supply as you can trace through 1 vacant hex to the north-east and then to the 101st, correct?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:

20.2.3 says, in part, "A Scattered unit that retreats is marked with a Disruption marker, but retains the Scattered marker." So a retreat must be okay.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game: it is one of the greats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
So in this picture, assuming the beach at Utah is open and an available supply source. Is the 82nd Airborne in or out of supply and why?

I think they are in supply as you can trace through 1 vacant hex to the north-east and then to the 101st, correct?

Thx!

Yes, that's correct. The 82nd can trace through the one vacant hex and those 101st units to stay in Supply (if that Ost unit isn't on Utah beach).

It's not uncommon for the 82nd to go out of Supply on Turn 1 if the landings are bad and the Germans can get a few good combat rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:

Thx!

Yes, assuming that Utah was actually cleared, the 82nd Airborne is in supply because of the northeast path you mention. The path to the southeast is not valid because it is crossing a ZOC bond, but the strongpoint to the north does not have a ZOC and cannot form a ZOC Bond.

A suggestion for future posts: you might want to add the text "large" inside the image tag immediately after the image ID number in order to make it easier for people to see the image. That's how I made it larger above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the replies, and tip about posting images! +1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurens van Boekhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Willing to plah with friends too. Did they all understood the rules before playing or you taught them during play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
We all read the rules in advance.

Played a 2nd game last week. We started and finished the mini campaign in roughly 6 hours. Game was different with approx. the same results. I believe the Allies won with 16 points, and their final turn unplayed.

I could eaily play this game again as I think there are more strategies I could try as the Germans, and I haven't even tried the Allies yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurens van Boekhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi,

i Know, this is a very late response. I was just wondering if youguys played the allied turn US and CW simultaneous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.