Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Which published games have the best Rock Paper Scissors combat mechanics. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Davoli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment all I can think of is Yomi, but I'm trying to make an RTS style game with Pike beats Horse/ Swordsmen/ Pike system.

Even if it's a CCG post away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest use it for the combat system. It was replaced in DungeonQuest (third edition), but brought back in DungeonQuest Revised Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny B
United States
California
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
And what's an RTS game?

I assumed RPS, but could be something else.

Real Time Strategy game in video/PC games. Like Starcraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3davoli wrote:
I'm trying to make an RTS style game with Pike beats Horse/ Swordsmen/ Pike system.

You definitely need to look at the combat system in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game which has a rock-paper-scissors system with infantry/cavalry/artillery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
3davoli wrote:
I'm trying to make an RTS style game with Pike beats Horse/ Swordsmen/ Pike system.

You definitely need to look at the combat system in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game which has a rock-paper-scissors system with infantry/cavalry/artillery.

That is what I thought of as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Orcz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: War of Indines and the rest of that series. It's made more interesting my being open information, but with certain options unavailable each turn. There's complexity added on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition) comes to mind. (I've no idea whether the third edition uses a similar combat system.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Nelson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame has a "This is good against that" which is mostly Archer > Infantry > Cavalry > Archers... but then also Has Hero > Myth > Mortal, and some cards have more than one attribute.

I actually would have loved that combat system if it didn't turn into dice rolls at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Fury of Dracula (second edition) comes to mind. (I've no idea whether the third edition uses a similar combat system.)

I don't know what the second edition did, but the 3rd edition is rock-paper-scissors-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best RPS mechanics, IMO, are ones that don't do it explicitly.

For example in Puzzle Strike, early rush strategies can defeat a slow build strategy if it goes fast enough, and slow build strategies can defeat a midrange strategy if it gets going, but a midrange strategy would defeat a fast rush strategy handily.

The same principle can be seen in macro and micro scales in various games, a bunch of CCGs like Magic, Netrunner, Hearthstone has similar stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonheart

its literally very similar to rock, paper scissors game.

Fast, fun, strategy game.

one of my most played games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimslingers is fun.
ABXY but I'm not certain we could call that "published". It's fantastic anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmitt Nervend wrote:
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame has a "This is good against that" which is mostly Archer > Infantry > Cavalry > Archers... but then also Has Hero > Myth > Mortal, and some cards have more than one attribute.

I actually would have loved that combat system if it didn't turn into dice rolls at the end.

And, coming back to OPs point about it being "RTS"-like, the two inter-related rock-paper-scissors cycles are very similar to the original RTS video game it's based on (Age of Mythology).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3davoli wrote:
At the moment all I can think of is Yomi, but I'm trying to make an RTS style game with Pike beats Horse/ Swordsmen/ Pike system.

Since you mentioned CCG:
5-way RPS -- 7th Sea Collectible Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jak and Poi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some methods for resolving Rock-Paper Scissors among multiple simultaneous players, such as 3-5?

Say in a four-player round, two play Paper, one plays Rock, and another, Scissors. Who should win, paper or scissors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ftstevens wrote:
What are some methods for resolving Rock-Paper Scissors among multiple simultaneous players, such as 3-5?

Say in a four-player round, two play Paper, one plays Rock, and another, Scissors. Who should win, paper or scissors?

That, presumably, would require the addition of a lizard and Mr Spock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi's the best. Dungeons & Dragons: Rock Paper Wizard is a newer game that uses the RSP mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
ftstevens wrote:

That, presumably, would require the addition of a lizard and Mr Spock.

Lol. You could play that paper cancels paper, then rock beats scissors. Or play that one paper covers rock. Then scissors cuts paper. Then scissors cuts remaining paper in final round.
This reveals two default ways to resolve MP-RPS: discard all matches, then resolve remainders; or, resolve doubles first against others, then resolve remainders. One method discards those most frequently chosen. The second favors whichever hand is chosen most...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Saner
United States
California
flag msg tools
The game mechanic for Steve Jackson's "I Hate Zombies" is literally "Rock/Paper/Scissors. One person plays all the Humans and the other players take turns representing for Zombies.
It is a simple game, but there is some strategy as to which Human a Zombie should attack, based on the powers of each of the Humans.
The object of the game (card game) is to turn all the Humans into Zombies - goes pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
BattleCON: War of Indines and the rest of that series. It's made more interesting my being open information, but with certain options unavailable each turn. There's complexity added on top.

This is the correct answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan B
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse. Not a pure RPS system, but fairly close. Missiles/lasers/hulls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3davoli wrote:

The relationship between attacks and monster types in Pokémon Trading Card Game is close to a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
3davoli wrote:

The relationship between attacks and monster types in Pokémon Trading Card Game is close to a variant.

or you could argue Pokemon in general "it's super effective" or "its not very effective" mechanics are rock paper scissors. Where it gets complex is Pokemon with multiple types where you have rock & paper vs scissors & paper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.