Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm a bit confused and maybe someone here can clarify this for Me.

Why are people willing to pay premium OP prices for the 1st edition when the 2nd edition can be easily baught for half the price?

Is there a significant difference between the 1st and 2nd edition that makes the 1st one so much better? I was u dear the impression the 2nd edition was better, but It's been a while since I looked into it. Hopping someone here can give me the short of it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules are quite different between the two, as is the art. A number of mechanics in the 1st edition are quite different in the second.

That change means some people prefer the 1st to the 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second is a streamlined version of the first. If you prefer a quicker playing game with less exceptions, quirks and character, you may prefer the 2nd edition. If you prefer the opposite, 1st edition is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check this thread under the 2nd edition for the differences: This edition or the first one?.

I purchased the 2nd Edition and have enjoyed it, but it is certainly streamlined from the original, and many swear by the older version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, can I just say all 3 of you guys are awesome.

I'll go check out that link-thread...I could have sworn I read a bunch on this ages ago (possibly even that thread) and decided I'd get 2e...but I'm going to just double check again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very different experiences ... The Second Edition is a good game but I prefer the First. Since the First will never be reprinted, there are only as many of them as there are and the law of supply and demand will drive that price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, 2nd edition is "just another euro" - 1st edition is rather special, I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as the differences in gameplay (the first edition is definitely clunkier) that lead to a different experience, I also prefer the graphics of the 1st Edition much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything that has already been posted.

I will add, however, that I find it tougher to get the 1st edition to the table, while the 2nd edition is a little friendlier to non-hardcore gamers.

When I do get the 1st edition to the table, it's always been a great experience, and it seems like no two games have been even close to the same, just based on the different combinations of players, teams/sides, and cards that come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll get my 1st Edition when you pry it from my cold, dead tenticles...I mean hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
You'll get my 1st Edition when you pry it from my cold, dead tenticles...I mean hands.

I have--slowly--managed to acquire three copies of the original. I've had to be patient to get them at good prices. It is easily my favorite Wallace game. The 2nd edition is, in my view, not a 'streamlined' version but an eviscerated one. You took all the thematic experience and tossed it in the trash. Also, the idea that the rules are somehow simplified is laughable. The scoring track for the 2nd Edition is MORE confusing than anything in the original. Inexcusable, however, was when the 2nd edition eliminated the last player faction losing mechanic. That killed what made the original so genius. Just "subtracting 5 points" from the losing side does not give motivation for the team aspect, it encourages a runaway winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Why have you acquired 3 copies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

Some unspeakable rituals in the Necronomicon describe the need for 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

Some unspeakable rituals in the Necronomicon describe the need for 3.

I don't even want to know the real reason now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.