Stephen Kuch
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Ok, so I have played the first two TIME Stories scenarios and started Prophecy of Dragons two days ago. Over the past two days, we have played the first half 4 times, and the second half 3 times, and we have gotten to the fight with the king. BY FAR, this has been the most frustrating, worst experience with TIME Stories - and this scenario was the one I was looking forward to the most!

I have had question after question with situations arising, and it's hard to find any answers in these BGG threads because I don't know what spoilers that we've already encountered are in people's threads, and which ones we have not.

So a few questions we had:

-Does buying things at a store use the TU for that action? Or can you buy something at the store, then use your "action" to move to another spot and buy something?

-Thief: If he fails to steal, can he keep trying as the "action" part of spending the TU (ie, while others fight/test/move)? Or is it a once and done? (his card doesn't specify, so I assume he can't just keep trying to steal for 0 TU, although other cards specify when they cost a TU to attempt)

-I'm seeing all kinds of posts of people saying they made it to the second half of the game with plenty of time to spare. How is this possible (short of all combat being a one-shot-and-done-super-lucky-dice-roll)? We were lucky to even make it to the well with 3 TU left (with everyone still needing to pass the test), and that was only b/c of an uber-lucky encounter that let us use one less TU each time we change location. And that was only getting two glyphs - one from stealing at the courtyard, one from the woods. We don't even know where the third one is, we did everything except find the fairy queen and steal 3 times successfully with the thief. I just don't see how it is possible.

-Scroll of Leaping vs Potion of leaping - are these the same thing? If so, it is frustrating that the verbiage is inconsistent when you actually make it to the dungeon (which ONLY mentions the potion, not the scroll)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nise Abracadabra
Spain
flag msg tools
The way we play is like this: Nothing consumes TU except:

- All Players do an action: throw the dice for a skill test (where the shields are drawn on the card, fights for example), move or do nothing.
- The card actually indicates that TU must be consumed to achieve something (this is different than performing an action).
- Moving out from a location.

Also, nothing prevents you from interacting with a card as much as you want, unless it is explicitly menctioned.

With that in mind, I would say that

(1) Buying from a store doesn't consume any actions. You can buy as much as you want. After that, if your group decides to use 1 TU in that location, you may choose to move in that TU to another "store", where you will be able to purchase as much as you want.

(2) By our interpretation of the ruling above, nothing prevents you from stealing as much as you'd like until you are caught. This even includes trying to steal the same item multiple times.

(3) Our group had a hard time with the first part too, but we got it in the end. 2 glyphs and the crystal ball did the trick.

I would need to check the cards for question 4, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, on each card you may shop 'til you drop. Moving between them costs a TU.

2. See POD4 in the Official FAQ.

3. The first part is about optimising your path, it's tight but not overly difficult. (My team took three runs, making it to the Mystery deck on the third and running right through that the first time there.)

4. From memory they have the same function except a potion is one-shot while a scroll is multi-use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kuch
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thank you for the link to the Official FAQ - for some reason I didn't know that existed.

Thank you both for your response to this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artrean wrote:
-I'm seeing all kinds of posts of people saying they made it to the second half of the game with plenty of time to spare. How is this possible (short of all combat being a one-shot-and-done-super-lucky-dice-roll)? We were lucky to even make it to the well with 3 TU left (with everyone still needing to pass the test), and that was only b/c of an uber-lucky encounter that let us use one less TU each time we change location. And that was only getting two glyphs - one from stealing at the courtyard, one from the woods. We don't even know where the third one is, we did everything except find the fairy queen and steal 3 times successfully with the thief. I just don't see how it is possible.

The glyphs:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Make sure that when you're shopping, you grab all the cards. Specifically, the cat's shop is cards 30 through 40, not just 30 and 40. (I may be misremembering the numbers, but that should help you out.)

Being efficient:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's 4 ways to get to the tunnels, and you only need one. Pick whichever one is easiest for you group to do, and possibly grab an item that will help you with it. Of course, one of those ways is significantly easier than the rest, so maybe you should look into it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.