11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo games for long haul flight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Page
msg tools
Hey all

I'm looking for a solo game with a small blueprint to play on a long haul flight. I've had a search through the forums but haven't seen anything that appeals yet so am looking to see what else is recommended.

As a nervous flyer, I am hoping this will distract me from the many hours of anxiety I usually experience while on a flight.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered taking a tablet (iPad) instead, there are lots of board games with single player variants or reasonable AIs that work quite well, with much less chance of dropping pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Page
msg tools
I have, I'm just worried about battery life and sometimes working with actual cards has a better feel than an electronic device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many airlines have USB outlets on each seat now, so if you have a cable you can charge during the flight.

What sort of games do you like? There are some good pen, paper and dice games (Utopia Engine, Delve: The Dice Game) – you can roll in a box lid, or use a dice roller on your phone. [ETA: useful search for pen and paper games ... Advanced Search: +Category=Print-&-Play +Mechanic=Paper-and-Pencil]

Onirim can be played in a fairly small area, Zombie in my Pocket is light and fun, Elevenses for One can be kept reasonably compact, and Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden is a delight, and would still be playable with half-size cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this might help provide a range of games to play:

My Big Book of (Solitaire) Madness

I created something like this for a recent cross-country trip. Selecting games that you'd enjoy would be necessary. As for dice, I used a free phone app to save rolling space and to minimize noise and the chance of losing dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Lorton
United States
Alton
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies won't use as much table space as the other TE games will, so that one might be worth it, but you have a lot of pieces that will slide around. So I wouldn't suggest playing this if there's turbulence.

The Grizzled doesn't take much space, either, but the cards can be really slick if you haven't sleeved them.

Flip City is a fun deckbuilder. You need space to set up your piles, and to play your cards, but not much else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a picture of someone playing Onirim (second edition) solo on a flight, that could work, and I enjoy the iPad version as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing what appeals to you I'm shotgunning random solo games. I like free, easy to craft PNP, so:
Utopia Engine (but you need a few dice or a dice app or rng for less airplane noise) It will take up 2 sheets of paper worth of space, IIRC. It helps to laminate them, then you could move 1 sheet to your lap along with the instructions.

Mini Rogue, the original is 9 cards IIRC. You'll need a couple of dice or dice app.

1672: The Lost Crew, 1 page laminated, plus a few tokens and dice. There is also a 1572, with a slightly different theme.

One of the ...In My Pocket games, will need a bit of cutting with siscors, but you can pick among several themes. Fairy Tale in my Pocket

Ladybug... I've posted about it semi recently in a couple of geeklists. It is a Firefly-like game with just cards. So 4 cards for the map, 1 for the tracking with 4 or so tokens, and then 1 deck + discard space. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/224940/item/5385280#item5...

30 Rails, 1 page laminated, and 2 d6 of different colors, or again a dice app.

Friday is a cheapish deckbuilder, but it may spread out a bit by the end.

Star Realms has a solo mode, and several solo challenges. But I've not played it yet so I don't know how much it spreads out.

Oh! Grab the Fabled Lands Java app from sourceforge. You can play through 6 choose your own adventure style gamebooks. Highly recommended. You pick the quests you want, trade, and travel among 6 books worth of maps! So good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Page
msg tools
Does anyone know how much space Flip City would take? Saw it when checking out for some of the suggestions above and it seems to have promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Game

Smallest footprint

My preferred way to play on the plane

Larger Footprint but good for smaller hands than mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a great geeklist, Ultra-Portable Easy-Print Dry-Erase Paper-Games, by a fellow bgg member and airline pilot:

Wendell Beitzel
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.