Subject: Color blind players and color coded games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I acquired Arkham Horror and was amused at how important color coding was to game play. For those of us with color blindness would there be an easy to identify icon or enough space to place our own on the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://dragonfirethegame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Drag...

To the right of "Equipment Pack" you can see examples of the 4 different colors/symbols. In order: Blue Arcane, Black Martial, Green Devotion, and Red Deception. They have different silhouettes that will hopefully make the game accessible to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they continue this onto the cards. Getting a blue deception would suck. Otherwise if it works as two characters as solo, I'm like "Take my money now!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are going in the Shadowrun Crossfire mold the symbols will be different. I play with a few people who are color blind and it was something I never gave thought to until then, I try to pick out color blind friendly games and have spare stuff on hand in case: if there are green and red translucent cubes I will change the red cubes to red gems or red wooden cubes so they are more easily discerned by the people playing. I will sleeve and paint or sticker the sleeves, whatever I need to do to make sure everyone enjoys the game. I will still razz them for it, then they will razz me for being autistic, so it all balances out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
I hope they continue this onto the cards. Getting a blue deception would suck. Otherwise if it works as two characters as solo, I'm like "Take my money now!".

They are just color-coded to make play easier; Deception is always Red, Arcana is always blue, etc.

They just announced support for 2-players, so just like Crossfire playing solo with two characters should be completely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see in these images, each damage type has its own distinct silhouette and image, in addition to their color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Google. My game gremlin is hungry. !!Take_My_Money!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
As you can see in these images, each damage type has its own distinct silhouette and image, in addition to their color.

One issue that I do suppose color-blind players will have a problem is telling which color the Obstacle/Encounter card itself is. IE, seeing at a glance that the Roper is blue and the Cloaker is red. But provided that everyone in the group isn't color-blind they should be able to work around that easily enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Schneider
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I'm very color blind. There are very few colors I can distinguish and certainly can't tell card frame colors. With that said, I made sure Crossfire and Dragonfire were extremely friendly to the colorblind audince.

Jay Schneider
Designer:
Shadowrun: Crossfire
D&D: Dragonfire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeborg wrote:
I'm very color blind. There are very few colors I can distinguish and certainly can't tell card frame colors. With that said, I made sure Crossfire and Dragonfire were extremely friendly to the colorblind audince.

Jay Schneider
Designer:
Shadowrun: Crossfire
D&D: Dragonfire

Sorry to bring an older thread back up but I had a question...

I know that the damage symbols are color and shape encoded. That's fine.

How is a 'red encounter' differentiated from a 'green encounter' (or blue or black) for purposes of skill checks and saving throws? From what I've seen, there is no symbol or indication of what color the background is (other than the color of the background).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pink Rose
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A month old, but I noticed the answer to the question.
The colour of the card is just what the majority of the checks are.
The cloaker takes red deception to defeat so it's red.
The roper takes blue arcana to defeat so it's blue.
The card colour had nothing to do with game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OregonPinkRose wrote:
A month old, but I noticed the answer to the question.
The colour of the card is just what the majority of the checks are.
The cloaker takes red deception to defeat so it's red.
The roper takes blue arcana to defeat so it's blue.
The card colour had nothing to do with game play.

There are obstacles in Shadowrun:Crossfire where there either isn't a dominant icon, or the dominant icon doesn't necessarily match the color of the obstacle.

In the two examples in THIS thread, sure, they match, and they'll probably match a majority of the time.

However, look at this spoiled card:

Green card
Majority icon color: Red

Or this one:

red Card
Majority Icon color: Red OR Blue

Or this one:

Blue Card
Card name: GREEN Hag (that's not confusing)
Majority Icon Color: Blue or Green

But wait, it's always the FIRST icon color you encounter...

Yeah, until you look here:

Card Color: Blue
Majority Icon Color: Blue
First Icon Color: Black

So the question is still open. What tells a colorblind person what the background color of an encounter card is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
So the question is still open. What tells a colorblind person what the background color of an encounter card is?

The player sitting to their right? *ducks*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

The player sitting to their right? *ducks*

I know this was said tongue in cheek, but if everyone's colorblind, that too will fail.

The character cards / equipment packs / market cards seem to have done an excellent job of having each card tell you what type it is.

It would be an outright shame if the same forethought was not put into identifying encounter alignments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.