Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unofficial FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The same few questions keep coming up, so I thought it would be worth consolidating them in one place. This will be a work in progress but I'll try to add and keep it updated. Please feel free to make suggestions.

General
DO NOT DISCARD THE BLANK TOKENS. YOU WILL NEED THEM IN THE GAME!

General Rules
Do not infer anything from the rules. ALL the rules are on the cards as and when you need them. You are NOT supposed to know what everything does at the outset.

The coloured numbers of the bottoms of cards are specifically referred to as and when you need them. How to do this is referred to on the respective card and will become clear at the time.

You CAN (and should) look and familiarise yourself with both sides of the Fittings cards.

Objectives
Only the top Objective card is active. You will know the second one so can (try to) plan for it.
The Objective cards come into effect (Reward/Penalty) when you reach the Chapter Cards (arranged into Event deck at setup).

Character Actions
Think of the three dots as actions 1, 2 & 3 (L to R).
A black dot in an action "column" means that respective action is not available.

Black dots are NOT cumulative.

Update actions available after resolving each action "round". If, after action round 1, a character frees up action 2, then that is now available during action 2 "round". ("Take a nap" for example").

Constructing Fittings:
You DO NOT need to reach the Construct New Fittings space.
You place the character performing the action, the materials required for the fitting, and the fitting card (building requirements up) on the space where you want the fitting built. Then when you resolve the actions you discard the materials and turn the fitting over to its 'actions' side.

"Poke About" action space
Mix and match as you like, total being 1-4 depending on roll

Character Skills
When Marko uses a Hatchet instead of a Lockpick, do not discard the Hatchet after opening a Closed Door. You DO still roll to see if you open it.

Scavenging
Note: Many Exploration cards have the option at the bottom of the card to "End Scavenging now"

Whilst at a Location, if there is a search option whiten on the Location card, provided you have the cards to discard, this action can be taken multiple times.

Any action that requires the discarding of cards, can only be executed if you have the cards to discard.

Resources whilst Scavenging
You can take as many Resources (Water, Wood & Components) as you want/can carry at the end of Scavenging phase.

Meds & Herbal Meds
Are separate resources. Herbal Meds are NOT Meds when referred to on Fate cards.

Meds/Bandages/Herbal Meds not referred to on Fate cards are returned to the Storage.

Tokens
Tokens ARE limited.

You DO discard the lockpick (when sucessfully used). You KEEP the shovel and sawblade unless directed otherwise.

5x Storage
ONLY wood and Components can be stored here.

Kickstarter Extra Content
Aside from the extra Character, the KS Stretch Goal content are expansions and really meant for after you've got some games under your belt and want more.
37 
 Thumb up
5.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff!

A post like this was created for Anachrony, and it has worked very well indeed!

A suggestion:

Norbert666 wrote:
You CAN (and should) look and familiarise yourself with both sides of the Fittings cards.


EDIT: Also, there's a typo in one of the headings:

Norbert666 wrote:
Resources whilst Scavaging


The C is missing (which does make the heading quite funny)

EDIT 2: Apparently, it's spelt "scavenging" not "scavaging". (Yes, "spelt", not "spelled".)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
You DO NOT need to reach the Construct New Fittings space.


What does this mean? Surely, it doesn't mean that if a space is unreachable (locked door, pile of rubble, or something else in the way), you can still build something in that unreachable space?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
You DO NOT need to reach the Construct New Fittings space.


What does this mean? Surely, it doesn't mean that if a space is unreachable (locked door, pile of rubble, or something else in the way), you can still build something in that unreachable space?


The Action space (with the hand icon) is up on the right, below the fittings cards. Other actions you have to place your Character on that specific action space with icon (Sleep on the floor for example). You don't for Construct Fitting Action. You place the Character on the space you want to construct the fitting, not the action icon as normal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
You DO NOT need to reach the Construct New Fittings space.


What does this mean? Surely, it doesn't mean that if a space is unreachable (locked door, pile of rubble, or something else in the way), you can still build something in that unreachable space?


The Action space (with the hand icon) is up on the right, below the fittings cards. Other actions you have to place your Character on that specific action space with icon (Sleep on the floor for example). You don't for Construct Fitting Action. You place the Character on the space you want to construct the fitting, not the action icon as normal.


Ah, ok, that makes sense
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should add a warning about the blank tokens/cards. Some people threw them away and now are searching trash bins...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Chapter Cards (arranged into Objective deck at setup).


This should be the Event deck, correct? The Objective deck would just be the three objective cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on ya for this. I would be too frustrsted to write one up ^^
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one to add: Can the "look around" action on a Location card be taken more than once?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Maybe one to add: Can the "look around" action on a Location card be taken more than once?


I would treat it as any other persistent card in scavanging. As long as you have the cards to return you can perform the action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Wiśniewski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
James thank you for your the time and effort, you've invested into creating this summary / FAQ!

Let me know if I might be of service.

Sincere regards,

Jakub
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakuwis wrote:
James thank you for your the time and effort, you've invested into creating this summary / FAQ!

Let me know if I might be of service.

Sincere regards,

Jakub

Thanks. Hopefully our points are all correct?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
You DO NOT need to reach the Construct New Fittings space.


What does this mean? Surely, it doesn't mean that if a space is unreachable (locked door, pile of rubble, or something else in the way), you can still build something in that unreachable space?


The Action space (with the hand icon) is up on the right, below the fittings cards. Other actions you have to place your Character on that specific action space with icon (Sleep on the floor for example). You don't for Construct Fitting Action. You place the Character on the space you want to construct the fitting, not the action icon as normal.


Placing the Fitting action icon there is a bit confusing. It doesn't give any information as to how the Fitting action works. The journal and script explain it all, they didn't need to have any icon on the board for it. I think most people (me, anyway) thought that you needed to place a character there to do the action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
You DO NOT need to reach the Construct New Fittings space.


What does this mean? Surely, it doesn't mean that if a space is unreachable (locked door, pile of rubble, or something else in the way), you can still build something in that unreachable space?


The Action space (with the hand icon) is up on the right, below the fittings cards. Other actions you have to place your Character on that specific action space with icon (Sleep on the floor for example). You don't for Construct Fitting Action. You place the Character on the space you want to construct the fitting, not the action icon as normal.


Placing the Fitting action icon there is a bit confusing. It doesn't give any information as to how the Fitting action works. The journal and script explain it all, they didn't need to have any icon on the board for it. I think most people (me, anyway) thought that you needed to place a character there to do the action.

I can understand why they had the icon as a reminder that it's an available action, but I also do agree that it's positioning is confusing at first. I'm not sure how else to have done it though whilst maintaining the icon reminder.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Something I thought was interesting from the FAQ's in the Book of Scripts.

You can consume food, alcohol, and apply meds and bandages at any time as long as it's not during combat and during a script.

What this means is that you don't have to wait till the end to drink alcohol. If something happens and you know you'll have to roll for misery right away, well you can drink up first and lower it.

I know it's meta gaming but if you have a night raid and they are about to take your meds and bandages, maybe you can apply them to yourself instead, and then you just have to hope you don't lose them during the fate card.

I just thought these were interesting. Not that i would play this way but it seems the rules leave it open for this since they added that you can do these actions whenever besides combat and script resolutions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wildinferno wrote:
Something I thought was interesting from the FAQ's in the Book of Scripts.

You can consume food, alcohol, and apply meds and bandages at any time as long as it's not during combat and during a script.

What this means is that you don't have to wait till the end to drink alcohol. If something happens and you know you'll have to roll for misery right away, well you can drink up first and lower it.

I know it's meta gaming but if you have a night raid and they are about to take your meds and bandages, maybe you can apply them to yourself instead, and then you just have to hope you don't lose them during the fate card.

I just thought these were interesting. Not that i would play this way but it seems the rules leave it open for this since they added that you can do these actions whenever besides combat and script resolutions.


For me, I think I'd consider resolving a Night Raid card as "script resolution", even though it's not part of the Book of Scripts. So reading that thugs are about to steal your bandages, and then using the bandages before they are stolen, I would consider cheating (for me, I don't judge what others want to do). But I think using that bandage before drawing the Night Raid card, as a precaution because you know that thieves might steal unused bandages but not used ones, I would consider absolutely fine.

(Caveat: based on the description given here, I haven't received the game yet, so I haven't played it myself)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
You DO NOT need to reach the Construct New Fittings space.


What does this mean? Surely, it doesn't mean that if a space is unreachable (locked door, pile of rubble, or something else in the way), you can still build something in that unreachable space?


The Action space (with the hand icon) is up on the right, below the fittings cards. Other actions you have to place your Character on that specific action space with icon (Sleep on the floor for example). You don't for Construct Fitting Action. You place the Character on the space you want to construct the fitting, not the action icon as normal.


Placing the Fitting action icon there is a bit confusing. It doesn't give any information as to how the Fitting action works. The journal and script explain it all, they didn't need to have any icon on the board for it. I think most people (me, anyway) thought that you needed to place a character there to do the action.


Well, then you didn't read the rules in the journal which explain exactly how you place a fitting and make zero mention of placing a character in thst space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
wildinferno wrote:
Something I thought was interesting from the FAQ's in the Book of Scripts.

You can consume food, alcohol, and apply meds and bandages at any time as long as it's not during combat and during a script.

What this means is that you don't have to wait till the end to drink alcohol. If something happens and you know you'll have to roll for misery right away, well you can drink up first and lower it.

I know it's meta gaming but if you have a night raid and they are about to take your meds and bandages, maybe you can apply them to yourself instead, and then you just have to hope you don't lose them during the fate card.

I just thought these were interesting. Not that i would play this way but it seems the rules leave it open for this since they added that you can do these actions whenever besides combat and script resolutions.


For me, I think I'd consider resolving a Night Raid card as "script resolution", even though it's not part of the Book of Scripts. So reading that thugs are about to steal your bandages, and then using the bandages before they are stolen, I would consider cheating (for me, I don't judge what others want to do). But I think using that bandage before drawing the Night Raid card, as a precaution because you know that thieves might steal unused bandages but not used ones, I would consider absolutely fine.

(Caveat: based on the description given here, I haven't received the game yet, so I haven't played it myself)


I would go with at any time still falling under before/after resolving anything. Before you draw a card, after you resolve fhat card, etc. Mid-resolution as you say seems wildly gamey.

Also:where in the faq did you read this? A quick morning scan hasn't turned it up for me, as I haven't had coffee yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Shadrach wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
wildinferno wrote:
Something I thought was interesting from the FAQ's in the Book of Scripts.

You can consume food, alcohol, and apply meds and bandages at any time as long as it's not during combat and during a script.

What this means is that you don't have to wait till the end to drink alcohol. If something happens and you know you'll have to roll for misery right away, well you can drink up first and lower it.

I know it's meta gaming but if you have a night raid and they are about to take your meds and bandages, maybe you can apply them to yourself instead, and then you just have to hope you don't lose them during the fate card.

I just thought these were interesting. Not that i would play this way but it seems the rules leave it open for this since they added that you can do these actions whenever besides combat and script resolutions.


For me, I think I'd consider resolving a Night Raid card as "script resolution", even though it's not part of the Book of Scripts. So reading that thugs are about to steal your bandages, and then using the bandages before they are stolen, I would consider cheating (for me, I don't judge what others want to do). But I think using that bandage before drawing the Night Raid card, as a precaution because you know that thieves might steal unused bandages but not used ones, I would consider absolutely fine.

(Caveat: based on the description given here, I haven't received the game yet, so I haven't played it myself)


I would go with at any time still falling under before/after resolving anything. Before you draw a card, after you resolve fhat card, etc. Mid-resolution as you say seems wildly gamey.

Also:where in the faq did you read this? A quick morning scan hasn't turned it up for me, as I haven't had coffee yet.


I want to say 351 talks about the food being consumed whenever. It's the advanced FAQs. I don't have the book in front of me so I can't really confirmed the numbers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind to transfer the content to a BGG FAQ page and continue using this thread for discussion? blush

Threads might get buried or lost. surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Would you mind to transfer the content to a BGG FAQ page and continue using this thread for discussion? blush


I'm sorry I don't know what that means or how to do it blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
Would you mind to transfer the content to a BGG FAQ page and continue using this thread for discussion? blush


I'm sorry I don't know what that means or how to do it blush


Have a look:
Games with a Rules FAQ wiki page (+GG for new ones!)

/wiki/page/List_of_Game_FAQs

I just created an FAQ page for TWOM:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/This_War_of_mine_FAQ

Just edit it :-)

And I added the FAQ entry on the game page @ Community wiki.

Thanks for your effort.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
Would you mind to transfer the content to a BGG FAQ page and continue using this thread for discussion? blush


I'm sorry I don't know what that means or how to do it blush


Have a look:
Games with a Rules FAQ wiki page (+GG for new ones!)

/wiki/page/List_of_Game_FAQs

I just created an FAQ page for TWOM:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/This_War_of_mine_FAQ

Just edit it :-)

And I added the FAQ entry on the game page @ Community wiki.

Thanks for your effort.

This is great, I wasn't aware of this BGG option.

Ppl should use this more often.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas T
msg tools
I know that in the video game of twom you can use a shovel mutiple times (10). How many times can you use a shovel on the boardgame?

The rules state: the tokens and resources requiered to perform actions are immediately discarded as soon as a character is assigned to perform the action.

But for a shovel thats just stupid right? Can someone please clear this one up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThOoM013 wrote:
I know that in the video game of twom you can use a shovel mutiple times (10). How many times can you use a shovel on the boardgame?

The rules state: the tokens and resources requiered to perform actions are immediately discarded as soon as a character is assigned to perform the action.

But for a shovel thats just stupid right? Can someone please clear this one up?


Clarified in FAQ, approved by Awaken Realms, in the first post.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.