Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I haven't been able to find the answer but I swear I looked for it.
Can I use expansion material during the base campaign?

I understand I can't use anything like event cards or the new aliens that are not used during missions, but what about devices?

Thank you again for the time you'll take answering me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wouldn't mix in much aside from possibly the NPCs and poses.

The expansions are more of a continuation of the core box that you play once you've completed the campaign rather than material you add to the core box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, If you want to. Just consider the consequences.

Drawbacks is that you will dilute the pool when drawing random stuff.
For example drawing random devices, having lesser chance to draw common wanted stuff like extra ammo.

When selecting by choice it will take longer the first time selecting having more to choose from having to analyze everything. You might house rule picking ten/handful of tiles and choose from them to speed things up.

Some expansion heroes with psi stuff would also feel a bit wrong in the base campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
There is some more insights in these old threads:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1401333/base-game-expansion...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1406233/new-campaign-questi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I really wouldn't mix in much aside from possibly the NPCs and poses.

I would also include some or all of the Improved Weapons if you are using a Kickstarter agent with a non-core class. Then instead of drawing all Improved weapons prior to Alien weapons, draw until you hit 10 in HQ before switching to Alien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I understand.
I like when I can just put everything together but I can respect that they are meant to be played separated.

So, this leads to a couple of questions:

1. When I complete the base campaign and reach an expansion, do I have to use only what I find in the expansion box?

2. Since the two expansion were released together, can I use components from both when I play one, or is it still advised to only use the respective materials?

Thank you again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irish86 wrote:
1. When I complete the base campaign and reach an expansion, do I have to use only what I find in the expansion box?

No, you will need components from the core box to play either of the expansions.

Irish86 wrote:
2. Since the two expansion were released together, can I use components from both when I play one, or is it still advised to only use the respective materials?

To play through the campaigns you still should keep each box's components separate unfortunately.

For one-shots after you're familiar with the game an played through the campaign, I would then mix in a couple of things to keep things fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
To play through the campaigns you still should keep each box's components separate unfortunately.

Some of the stuff is cumulative (like Psionic abilities, if memory serves), but it's in the minority. Aside from core set components, the expansions mostly rely on the stuff in their respective boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you again for your answers!

I suppose I'll get a clearer picture once I reach the expansions
For now, I'll keep playing base campaign (actually, I have yet to finish 1st mission ) with base components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.