Subject: Comet clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Ingram
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to say that I don't think there is an expansion or indeed original board game I have been so hyped for since the second big expansion to eclipse (and considering my undying love for that game that's quite a feat). I do a have a 2 Clarifications/questions about the comet rules

In the prototype rulebook for the the comet it says "If a ship enters a space containing a Comet, or if a Comet ends movement on a space with a ship/cargo cube, that ship/cube is instantly destroyed"

1) I assume you are fine if the comet passes through you as it moves as long as it does not end its movement on your space.

2) I also assume that if you blind jump and end up on space the comet starts you blow up.

Does this sound right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Good point! I would say that the comet destroys everything in its path. If it is is like you say then moving into a comets path is almost without any risk. The chances it will end its movement on your space are tiny. Must be a mistake in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook example makes it clear that if the comet moves through your space, but does not end its movement there, you're fine. Your risk of being destroyed when directly in front of the comet is exactly the same as six spaces away.

The risk is slightly higher than entering a debris field, and doesn't give you a chance at a free fame point. I think that's the right call, as you don't want getting ember to be so risky that nobody will do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) I assume you are fine if the comet passes through you as it moves as long as it does not end its movement on your space.
You are fine. Example 2 in the rulebook covers this very clearly.

Quote:
2) I also assume that if you blind jump and end up on space the comet starts you blow up.
I wouldn't mind an official answer to this, but the way that the rulebook reads, you would indeed be destroyed.

"When the sector is first revealed, place a comet on the special rules space." -Page 5 - Ice Asteroids

So yes, if you blind jump into the sector and are on the special rules space, then immediately place the comet which should destroy you.

Quote:
I would say that the comet destroys everything in its path.
You really should read the rules before you decide (and declare) how you are going to adjudicate something.

Quote:
If it is is like you say then moving into a comets path is almost without any risk. The chances it will end its movement on your space are tiny
If you are in the next 6 spaces that the comet can move into, then you have a 1:6 chance of death. That's slightly higher risk than Salvaging, and you're not getting anything out of it (beyond movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedaning wrote:

You're correct on both accounts. Blind Jumping is risky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read the rules closely yet myself, but I would have expected the comet to smash anything in it's path. I'll play as the rules are written. It makes the comet a little less risky, but it's instant death if it collides with your ship so still not something to take lightly wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iirc, in playtesting in did smash anything in its path, however, it was super lethal so they scaled it back. Speaking from experience, it really was super lethal, especially with blind jumps.

Obviously you can house rule it really easily. It depends on how risky you think blind jumping should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
As the more recent posts have noted, a comet indeed only cares about where it starts and where it ends, not any of the spaces in-between.

If you move into the comet directly (either via blind jump or because you wanted to blow yourself up), you will indeed blow up instantly, all your cargo will drop into the comet (and be destroyed) and then the comet will move.

In an earlier version of the game when we were playtesting, we had the comet blow everything up along it's path, and it made movement through it too risky.

As things stand now, there is a title that rewards you for being close to an ice comet, but generally the prize for risking it is more efficient movement path - it's often possible to enter the comet path in a "safe" place, but that can often require a lot more extra movement, so you must weigh your risks...

Also note that if you teleport directly onto the comet's path, the comet will move as usual, but if you teleport onto the inner area (on a Quarry space, for example), you don't trigger the comet. Conveniently, one of the new ships in the expansion has a teleport power (though to be fair, that particular power will be more useful getting out safely than getting in...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that there is a lot of space above and below a Comet or Ship, we're really only looking at the game two-dimensionally. So thematically it makes plenty of sense that it can fly through a space occupied by a ship and not destroy it. Try not to get hung up on flavor text or theme too much, as a general rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ingram
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! ya I assumed that is how it worked space is huge after all

Keep up the good work idra, I think cody and yourself have really made something great here and im super excited to get Embers to the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
Calinor wrote:
Keep in mind that there is a lot of space above and below a Comet or Ship, we're really only looking at the game two-dimensionally. So thematically it makes plenty of sense that it can fly through a space occupied by a ship and not destroy it. Try not to get hung up on flavor text or theme too much, as a general rule.

Why not be able to fly over or under it yourself, though?

I had to look this up because we're playing for the first time. I wanted to fly over the comet to get out, but see I can't. I ended up taking the risky route and got blown up :\

Next time I'm going to play it safe I totally asked for it. Oh well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.