6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Hi folks, what's a good next purchase after:

Core Set
Card Box with 3 Promo Cards
Crisis (Bases, Heroes, Events, Fleets)
Gambit

Mostly it's just 2-player face-offs.

Should we just look here and get what we don't have haha?

If we add a 3rd player what needs to happen? If combining cards into a deck for 3 players do you need to "un-combine" to go back to 2-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
I am Jackson, hear me roar! *meow*
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cheap enough that I would suggest buying everything. However, you actually already have mostly everything... Colony Wars is, in my opinion, the next best purchase after the Core Set. Followed by (in order): Crisis Bases & Battleships, Crisis Fleets & Fortresses, Gambits, Year 1 Promo Pack, Cosmic Gambits, United Assault, United Command, United Heroes, Crisis Heroes, United Missions, Crisis Events.

I sleeve everything in the Star Realms sleeves found in the card box by default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 8
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colony Wars set would probably be your strongest buy. It would give you 2 more staring hands, allowing you to play with 3 or 4 players. There's no need to separate sets when changing player counts.

If you enjoy playing with Gambits, Cosmic Gambits is more of the same.

If you enjoy playing with Heroes, United: Heroes is more of the same.

United: Assult and United: Command add powerful dual faction ships and bases to the game.
I think they're fun to play with, but many contest that they add some luck and imbalance to a game that's already high in variance.

United: Missions add bonuses for completing tasks and an alternate win condition. This would be my least recommended pack. While occasionally fun to mix in, my plays suggest Missions suffers from run-away leader issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get Star Realms: Colony Wars. It is the new base set and the WWG folks have taken the lessons of the base game and totally shifted the balance of power in the new set. There is more scrap for the machine cult, but it is much weaker, more trade for the Star Empire, etc.

What to do if you want to play with 3-4 players? Buy Colony Wars. Really. You need a base set for every 2 players, so might as well get the base set that has new cards in it. You don't have to shuffle together the trade decks, since the consensus is that there are enough cards in the deck for 3 (or maybe even 4) players. You don't have to divide the cards after. It is perfectly fine (and fun) to play with all of your sets shuffled together, though that might increase the variance of the game a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 3 player games (which are fun, by the way) all you need is a 2nd core set so you have enough vipers and scouts (starting deck of 10 cards) for everyone.

You should NOT mix both complete decks together!

Actually, come to think of it, if you don't have Colony Wars yet, get that one. This way you have 4 complete sets of vipers/scouts and a completely new draw deck to alternate to.

[edit] Wow... we all jumped in with the same response in record time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.