Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wee-Chong Oon
Singapore
Toa Payoh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since the locations of the groves don't matter, why are they hexagonal tiles? Wouldn't it be simpler (and cheaper) to just have cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Louallen Jr.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just upgraded to cardboard hexes via stretch goal. I'd much prefer sturdy hexes over cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love Hexes in games. They are very visually appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Letzring

Rochester
New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question! This is sort of a loaded question but there were a handful of reasons we went with hexes.

1.) There is a decent amount of information on the hexes and based on their shape and format, we can show off a lot more of the art on the hex than we can on the card.

2.) Our original iteration of the game worked a little different and the hexes had importance. Even though we moved away from those mechanisms, we loved the look of the hexes and decided to keep moving forward with them.

3.) At only 40 hexes, the price difference is minimal between the two. Also, we knew we wanted to upgrade to punchboard and we felt that punchboard hexes would work better than punchboard rectangles.

These are the main reasons for choosing the hexes. We love the way they look all lined up next to each other and we hope you like the end result as well!

Thanks again for the question and let me know if you have any others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think hexes work better visually/thematically in this case. I imagine spirits can be like honeybees .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wee-Chong Oon
Singapore
Toa Payoh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I can't think of another game that uses hexes even though positioning didn't matter, so it just felt strange.

To be honest, I was hoping that there might be a planned expansion that took advantage of the hexes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love the hexes, and I'm sure they "could" be utilised, either in an expansion or just by coming up with a rules variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.