117 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Who is your favorite board game reviewer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: which_reviewer [+] [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Which one do you identify the most with? What do you like the most of that specific reviewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive Thru Review is the best!!! Our tastes coincide strongly, he gives enough detail in his reviews to know what is going on, but doesn't prattle on for ages. Perfect balance in my opinion.

Starlit Citadels is good, but don't do new ones anymore. they stopped.

Tom Vasel is not as good as either of those, but reviews more games, and gives good overviews. While i don't agree with his opinions on most things, i can usually tell if i'll like a thing based on what he says about it.

Chaz Marler is highly entertaining, especially when he's reviewing crap games he found at thrift shops.

(all video reviewers, don't have/know any particular written reviewers that stand out to me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the games you like are bad.

Unfortunately he has not done anything in several months...but for a brief period of time he was and still is one of the best.

Then Heavy Cardboard and The Good The Board The Ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I have found a single reviewer whose interests align with my own perfectly. But I generally find the most insightful reviews involve multiple reviewers discussing the game, especially when they have different takes on certain aspects. Examples include the now-defunct Starlit Citadels reviews as well as some reviews by the Dice Tower and Shut Up & Sit Down. Written reviews can also be quite nice, but I don't think I've seen many written reviews with multiple reviewers, save a few from SU&SD.

If reviews from any of these sources are unavailable, then I will prefer to go with reviewers who I am familiar with from their large body of work (DriveThruReview, The Discriminating Gamer and others) because that gives me a sense of how to calibrate their views against my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCloud
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is

JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Positives:
1. Clear presentation of rules
2. Good analysis of his positives and negatives (and neutrals!) for a game.
3. Also does play-throughs which I appreciate for more complicated games to get a feel for the game flow.

Neutrals
1. Hand talker along the level of Dana Carvey's President Bush.
2. Uses the word evaluate approximately 42 times each play-through

Negatives:
1. Reviews sometimes aren't as expeditious as I would like for finding out about a game.
2. I am only interested in about half of the games he reviews.

Overall the positives outweigh the negatives. We won't talk about the neutrals....

Special note on my other favorite:

Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

does not do game reviews. He just gives his thoughts on the game whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to watch Rahdo and Dan King a lot, but nowadays, I prefer Man vs. Meeple and especially GamesUp! - they essentially do what Rahdo does, but they are slightly more to the point and they're actually two players . Special mention: Shut Up and Sit Down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While he does provide his 'final thoughts' at the end, I find the most value in Rahdo due to his brilliant run throughs. Our taste in games do overlap so I tend to agree with his thoughts (most of the time), but the real benefit is seeing the game played and getting a feel for the decisions. In my book, he provides the perfect balance between explaining why he's doing what he's doing while not dragging on too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Boutwell
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's not only about the reviewer, but what types of games do they review? Most reviewers aren't reviewing each and every game, they are reviewing stuff that they own or that a designer has sent them and they feel the need to offer a review. This can skew their game choices.

Yes, Tom Vasel probably has the most extensive selection of reviews out there (including TDT crew) and I understand and conceptualize what they are talking about well, Tom and I don't always agree on what games we like, aka the Mediterranean trading hater. angry Still, his reviews cover the basic gist of most games and things that should be addressed, like component quality and art design. One reviewer I do like over at TDT is Ryan Metzler who helped me get into the Alea big box games with comprehensive reviews that tended to focus on the best qualities of those games, rather than focusing on how they stand the test of time against the cult of the new, while being fair to gameplay and component quality. Kudos to Ryan!

Still, for general entertainment, I enjoy Quintin Smith and all of the folks at SU&SD. I get their humor and quirkiness and it's just a joy to watch their reviews because of it AND I tend to align with their games.

What I enjoy about Richard Ham is that he does a more in-depth analysis with turn examples as well as covering games that others haven't touched. And while he is entertaining, the man can talk! I'm exhausted having a conversation with him and I'm not even the one talking.

Finally, as someone who played in the Avalon Hill days and missed the beginning of the board game renaissance, one who has really made an impact on reminding me about games that I've missed that are worthy of me going and finding, and that is Brian Counter. He has the distinction of being the first BGGer to message back and forth with me about game ideas and design and am honored to have virtually met him. meeple

Still, there are many folks out there who offer their time and effort to help us, as gamers, decide which games are worth our time and money and I applaud them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like Rahdo because of his format. He plays the game and talks you through what he's doing. This allows me to get a much better feel for what the game is like then hearing somebody else's opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I always watch a Tom Vasel review for a game I'm interested in -- it's a good overview of the game with minimal final thoughts. Man vs. Meeple also does this, but not as broadly.

If I'm still interested in a game, I'll pick up No Pun Included (if they have a review) or DriveThru Review, as they get a little more in depth.

I watch Shut Up & Sit Down, Tabletop, Tabletop Top 10s (with Sam/Zee/Tom) and to a lesser extent No Pun Included for entertainment. I've found some good games just by watching their episodes! I don't really watch every new episode of other reviewers.

Rahdo, Watch It Played, and reviewers of that type don't really do it for me -- I don't process info that well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like Rahdo because he runs thru the game so we can get a feel for it. Plus, he seems honest and straight forward. If he doesn't like it (often because too much conflict) he will say it.

I like Tom Vasel reviews too.

I like Man vs. Meeple because they have great presentation with graphics in their presentation but often it is hard to get a feel for whether they really "like it" or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Since most of my favorites are very well known, I want to start with a lesser know reviewing couple whose reviews are wonderful. They do a long session format (~1hour) that really gives you great insight into the game. Plus they are almost always entertaining. Go check out Gamer's Couch when you have a chance.

As for the big names. I love Tom Vasel. Reviewing games - that is, being able to boil down the essence of a game and giving me the information I need to know if I'm going to like it - is a skill. Tom is easily the best in the business, IMO. His skill really shines through if you read his old BGG reviews before he went all video. Also, his infectious love of good games (and hatred for bad games on occasion) really come through. For some stupid reason, his "boring unboxing videos" are my favorite things to watch on BGG. All that said, I often disagree with Tom's final opinion on a game. He is way to interested in the box/insert/components and doesn't factor raw gameplay enough. Also, while one of his strengths is that he has reviewing almost everything, that sometimes means he reviews games too quickly, with not enough plays. He misses flaws that sometimes only appear on repeated play.

So anytime I'm at all interested in a game, I'll watch Tom's review if he has one. But if I need to make a buying decision, I'll turn to Rahdo if he has one. The way he thinks out loud - I want to go here, but if I do Jen will do this, so maybe I should do that, but if I do that I'll miss out on this other thing - show me what it's like to play the game. Nobody is better than him at that. Again, I'll often disagree with his final thoughts... but because he is so good at explaining his thoughts I find the very useful even when I disagree.

Finally, there is SD&SU. I'll watch anything they put out, even if I have zero interest in the game. They are excellent game reviewers, which often gets overlooked because of the comedy. I love how they help me understand what it *feels* like to play a game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only ones I watch regularly are the Dice Tower and Shut Up and Sit Down. I don't particularly watch for the review portions though. I watch the Dice Tower (Tom, Zee, and Sam) because the coverage is comprehensive, and I like to know what's out there. I watch SUSD more for the entertainment value than for the actual review content.

Pete (watches a lot of these videos while doing other tasks)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite Game Reviewer?
Who's Your Favorite Game Reviewer And Why?
Who is your favorite reviewer?
What reviewer has influenced you to buy the most games?
Second best Reviewer?
Reviewer Recommendations
Who's your favorite boardgame reviewer?
Who's Your Favourite BGG Reviewer?
Who's the best reviewer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian V
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite reviewer is
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for sure.
He has a flair for crafting entertaining, apt metaphors and analogies for every review he writes, all the while avoiding common or cliché turns of phrase found in a lot of reviews.
His overviews give a good summary for play and leave the reader with a sense for how the game plays. Definitely one of my favorite reviewers of any medium, and one of the only review geeklists I have subscribed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George. George, the Reviewer. He works for the Review Board. Lives in Riverview, in an apartment that affords him a nice view of the river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
the now-defunct Starlit Citadels reviews

+1 for this.

Starlit Citadel was by far my favorite source of reviews until the folks involved decided to move onto other projects. Very clear, concise, and polished overview of the gameplay followed with a nice and thoughtful 'pros vs cons' style review. Plus their editing and other production values were pretty high.

Now a days, I mostly watch the Dice Tower's reviews, although I remain nostalgic for Starlit Citadel. Vasel and his cadre's reviews aren't nearly as polished and their focus is definitely more on churning out a lot of reviews, rather than slowing down and focusing on quality - but there's still good information in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney Smith!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sala Skan
msg tools
Most of them last way too long. The Drive Thru review of Gloomhaven lasts a whopping 45 minutes. I usually check out a review to see if I'd like a game or not, why on earth would I spend 45 minutes on that? Maybe if I really considered purchasing an expensive game and have nowhere to try it out... The rule explanations in many videos seem even longer than you would have them in real life.

This is the reason why I watch the Dice Tower videos, they seem to be the only ones at a reasonable length, even though they seems to like Ameritrash more and I'm more into eurogames so I'd prefer watching someone else's.

As usual with YouTube it seems like these people just love hearing themselves talk. Even worse, many reviews (especially SU&SD) seem to be dragged out by pointless juvenile humour. For this reason I always prefer written reviews of movies or video games, but with board games it seems like you need a video to see the components and mechanics as they are being discussed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Shall we rate your post?

I'll give a 10, just to be oooooh Controversial!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.Inside the box
2.Marco
3.SUSD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

All expired. Need new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Hauri
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to go with Rahdo (Richard Ham) first.

Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

Then, Tom Vasel (Dice Tower).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Uncle
msg tools
I align most with the punching cardboard folks; a tie for second to brawling brothers and heavy cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mina's Fresh Cardboard because it's analytical and in-depth, well-structured and always points out a fair number of negative things. Also, lipsticks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.