11 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: How good is the story? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
As in the subject - I see people around forum so afraid of the spoilers. as I understand, the choices affect the game either changing available scenarios or affecting items for purchase - with the main goal being to link the scenarios.

Or am I wrong? Is the story really good and full of twists?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:
As in the subject - I see people around forum so afraid of the spoilers. as I understand, the choices affect the game either changing available scenarios or affecting items for purchase - with the main goal being to link the scenarios.

Or am I wrong? Is the story really good and full of twists?

There are few other discussions about the story which may help to answer your question, such as

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1717516/how-much-story-ther...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1764878/so-there-decent-sto...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Totally missed those - thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The story isn't "really good and full of twists" that I know of, but the quality of prose is solid--miles better than many other "narrative" games like Agents of SMERSH--and the worldbuilding is good. You get little insights into the races and history of the setting as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The world building is good. The story is good for a game, but that puts it about as good as fanfic. It's not a particularly good storytelling game compared to something like Mansions of Madness where the narrative unfolds as you process through the game. Instead you get a couple paragraphs to set up the scenario and a paragraph when it closes. Mostly it amounts to "hey you, go kill this stuff because reasons." followed by "thanks for killing that stuff. Have some treasure."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
We're somewhere around 25 sessions in and the story is interesting enough that I do want to see what happens next, but it's been pretty typical fantasy RPG stuff so far.

I really do enjoy the atmosphere of the world and the flavor of the races and the town though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really a continuous plot line. There are several plots you interact with and modify as you play. The whole thing is more of an evolving world that you discover and interact with as you go. Kind of like a large D&D setting with a DM who is more reactive to the players than directive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a sandbox type game and I don't find the story particularly suspenseful or compelling so far and I am about halfway through, I think. However it is interesting enough that I am pushing through to find out what happens next. However it is the game play that makes this game. I find it fascinating and enjoyably "puzzley" to figure out the best card combinations to deal with a particular situation. It IS compelling, however, to try and satisfy personal goals and quests to open up locked envelopes and characters.

To conclude: Gameplay excellent, legacy aspect (regarding sealed envelopes and locked characters) excellent, story adequate but not spectacular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McIllwain
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't really been too impressed with the writing and narrative. But we just opened the Town Records book last night, and I'm starting to turn around on it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, it's awfully hard to write a 'deep' story for a group of players who you know will all be switching character who have radically different points of origin, and who are all cast as mercenaries who have little vested interest in much outside of the personal goals.

I enjoyed the paths that take you through certain 'career goals' that feature unlocked scenarios for instance, but while the writing itself is good, didn't feel a lot of surprises or variations on typical fantasy tropes for the big story arcs. The dark evil conjurers and talking dragons and whatnot are all standard fantasy fare. They're enjoyable and I greatly appreciate the quality of the writing and the prose itself.

I love Hail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
To be fair, it's awfully hard to write a 'deep' story for a group of players who you know will all be switching character who have radically different points of origin, and who are all cast as mercenaries who have little vested interest in much outside of the personal goals.

I enjoyed the paths that take you through certain 'career goals' that feature unlocked scenarios for instance, but while the writing itself is good, didn't feel a lot of surprises or variations on typical fantasy tropes for the big story arcs. The dark evil conjurers and talking dragons and whatnot are all standard fantasy fare. They're enjoyable and I greatly appreciate the quality of the writing and the prose itself.

I love Hail.

All hail Hail? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.