Shane
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I know this is a stand alone game and the original Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective isn't needed to play, but are there any cases in Jack/West End that are continuations or refer plot-wise to the original cases?

I've preordered the reprint of the original, and am just wondering if it's worth waiting a month or two to receive it before starting the new edition I just received.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silva
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's stand alone You can play them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely standalone, but highly recommended that you do cases 5-10 in order because of newspaper stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Tentorio
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
Hi Paul,
So you mean that playing cases from 1 to 4 every case need only its newspaper??

Example playing case 4 you need to read only newspaper of case 4 and no newspapers 1,2 and 3???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Paul! I suspect the OCD in me would play 1-10 in order anyway; I hadn't even thought about playing them out of order as they arrive in one box. I was only thinking of separate sets' play order and will probably break out Jack/West End this evening instead of waiting until July-ish for me reprint preorder to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend playing cases 5-10 first.
It's two separate games in one box.
But yes, there is no connection story wise between anything in here and anything in the original 10 cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cris72 wrote:
Hi Paul,
So you mean that playing cases from 1 to 4 every case need only its newspaper??

Example playing case 4 you need to read only newspaper of case 4 and no newspapers 1,2 and 3???

Nope.

Cases 1-4 must be played in order, and the newspapers follow on. Do not play case 4 without having played cases 1-3 first.

Then.... as a completely separate thing... is cases 5-10. Again, play them in order.

But you can play 5-10 before you play cases 1-4, totally different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Tentorio
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
Thank you Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Jones
msg tools
mbmb
I HIGHLY recommend playing 5-10 first. 1-4 are very different and much harder, and don't really leave you with any conclusion until you reach the end of 4.

If this is your first time playing, 5-10 are much more like the standard cases. Each one leads to a conclusion at the end of the individual case.

The rulebook itself even recommends starting with 5-10. I'm really not sure why they didn't make the Jack the Ripper cases 7-10 and can only assume it's because they put things in chronological order (the first 4 cases take place some 10 years before the others).

Until you get a feel for the game, again, I'd do the Jack the Ripper cases last. Also, they feel much less like Holmes cases. Far more grisly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.