Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I've only read the rules; my copy of the 10th Anniversary edition is still in the post. However, one of the weirder rules that jumped out at me was the request for face up discarding. Why is this necessary?

It strikes me as an inelegant approach, given that one out of the three cards to be discarded need be secret, so one has to teach and remind player to hide their unplayed card under those they're discarding. It would be simpler to discard face down, that way it's one less little rule to have to teach and enforce.

However, if it serves some purpose I'm not seeing, I wouldn't want to get into any habits we'll then have to shake.

So... is there a reason for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game, but haven't played it yet.

However, I think that there might be some strategy to seeing the cards that other players have discarded, so that I choose my next action.

I think the first discard is more important than the second, but I guess if I were really good at memorizing cards, in theory seeing one player's "hidden" discard might let me figure out what the next player's card is.

I think it would matter in cases where a player might get money (and be able to play on Notre Dame) or for getting messages.

This is all just theorycrafting, though - I suspect an experienced player would have more to say about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not actually discarding the two cards, but playing them in order to do an action. You play them face-up so people can see what you are doing. It is not that hard to just put the card you are not using under the second played card.

It is quite helpful to know what other players have played (or more often what they have not played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going by memory here, but I'm pretty sure the rules say you should put your unplayed card BEHIND your 2nd played card, spesifically so as to not show the others what card wasn't used. At least we've always played it like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
You are not actually discarding the two cards, but playing them in order to do an action. You play them face-up so people can see what you are doing. It is not that hard to just put the card you are not using under the second played card.

It is quite helpful to know what other players have played (or more often what they have not played).

Yes, this. It would be very unusual to play your cards face down so the other players can't see what you did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:

Paragraph 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you're having trouble with the "hidden" 3rd card somehow becoming visible during discarding? Then yeah, there's no problems with discarding the used cards face down when the round is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg

Arkansas
msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, this. It would be very unusual to play your cards face down so the other players can't see what you did!

Agreed, but I don't think people are saying to play the card face down, just discard it face down. In other words, play the card face up, take the action, then discard face down. Rules say you cannot look through the discard pile, so putting them face down shouldn't change anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gwill2112 wrote:

Agreed, but I don't think people are saying to play the card face down, just discard it face down. In other words, play the card face up, take the action, then discard face down. Rules say you cannot look through the discard pile, so putting them face down shouldn't change anything.

Yes indeed, I had misunderstood the distinction between playing and discarding, thinking the card is discarded as it's played.

In fact that is how we do it: I didn't even remember that bit was in the rules, and I don't think we've ever paid attention to it. When we play, each player always just places the cards they're playing in front of them, on top of any previously played cards (with the 3rd card hidden under the 2nd). We don't then put them in one big discard pile, so for us there is no distinction between playing and discarding!

So to the OP: do whatever makes sense to you. The important point is that the 3rd card should be hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.