Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So! Normally my wife is more about the multiplayer solitaire games ie:
Caverna
Agricola
Euro's in general etc.

But we recently have been playing a fair amount of Hero Realms (like star realms... but fantasy)

She quite likes it!

Which confuses me, she typically doesn't like games where you kill each other

She also especially hates it when in a game "you build stuff and it gets destroyed"

Basically she hates it when her plans get foiled....

So Hero Realms is great, but she is used to much more complex games.

Open to suggestions for:

Card games!
Combat!
Smashing each other
player interaction
BUt maybe... not with a ton of sabotage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfair

No combat, but smashing each other's stuff (if you want to--it's often more advantageous to play a card to benefit yourself than to sabotage someone else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean Summoner Wars....one of the best game ever...in my humble opinion. However it is more deck management and actual use of the cards as if they were minatures. But if you want one of the best and most balanced games out their, it is so good.

Hero Realms is fantastic, looking forward to expansions. Another one your wife may enjoy is Mage Wars Academy Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would also like to recommend Unfair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes co-operative games then Aeon's End.

Otherwise there is this cute little game called Dark Dealings on Kickstarter where you draft, bid and kill heroes with not a lot of interactions but still a few (heeeey I wanted that defense card, how dare you!). I love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moy Uba
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
51st state master set is a great card game with some soltaire like engine building stuff and some conflict stuff in there.

maybe eclipse? it's very euro-y for a space 4X game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle

My wife and daughter are the same. They don't like when there is an attack element and you have to choose one person over another because it feels personal. They both don't mind attack elements when it's one-on-one. Star Realms is one of our favourites but it is fast and doesn't offer as much planning as most of us are used to in longer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh My Goods!
Garden Dice
Fresco

As for co-op games, we find Burgle Bros. to be a good brain teaser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
Unfair

No combat, but smashing each other's stuff (if you want to--it's often more advantageous to play a card to benefit yourself than to sabotage someone else).
Spelbruden86 wrote:
This seems like the opposite of what was asked for:
Boze wrote:
Open to suggestions for:

Card games!
Combat!
Smashing each other
player interaction
(emphasis added)

Some options that seem like they might fit:
Vikings Gone Wild - You can attack other player's buildings for VPs (they can defend for VPs as well), but it doesn't affect the buildings other than that player's buildings cannot be attacked again until after their next turn.
Master of Orion: The Board Game - (caveat: I haven't played this yet, my knowledge of it comes from video reviews; note: it should be called "the Card Game", not "the Board Game" and it is extremely abstracted relative to the video game of the same name) You can attack other players for VPs. You have to have more weapons/ships resources than the player you are attacking and spend 2 weapons/ships resources (unsure of the order of resolution there). The player who was attacked loses 1 loyalty; there is a different action players may take to gain 3 loyalty. I don't know how many or how much of the buildings affect (via increased aggression, incentivisation, or mitigation) the attack action.
Dark Gothic - (I prefer the coop variant with a house rule or 2) The competitive version may work for you.
Dice City - Not as likely to fit as those I have played it with find the attack another player's building action so weak that it is mostly forgotten.

Less likely (Try at a con or gaming meetup, or at least watch a playthrough if at all possible, before purchasing):
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game - (may have issues with availability)
Seasons
Games in the The Manhattan Project family of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
Unfair

Spelbruden86 wrote:
This seems like the opposite of what was asked for:
Boze wrote:
Open to suggestions for:

Card games!
Combat!
Smashing each other
player interaction
(emphasis added)
Perhaps. But each event card has two parts. When you play it, you have to choose whether to use the top part to benefit yourself, or the bottom part to sabotage someone else. The top is usually the better thing, unless you need to stop an opponent from getting a pile of money. So it's not likely to have a ton of sabotage, but maybe a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spelbruden86 wrote:

I'll third Unfair, and here's why: it comes with several theme park decks that offer different levels of interaction meanness, and in addition you can play a variant that forbids any attacks at all. So unlike most other games where you get whatever you get, with Unfair you'll be able to adjust the interaction level to suit her tastes. Also, it was recently on sale for a very reasonable price, and still might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.