Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Zombicide Green Horde? Is there room for both of these in my collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Davie
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally backed this game because I played a friends copy of Zombicide and LOVED it!The MD theme appealed to me more than Zombies, so I went ALL IN. But as this game has developed it is looking more different to Zombicide every day (in a good way). So, with Green Horde on Kickstarter, I'm wondering if these games are different enough to justify getting both or am I just being dragged in by the shiny minis and the hype?

I know we don't have the game yet, and this is all just opinion, but there seem to be people on this forum who know Zombicide better and/or know massive darkness better.

Help me Obi-wan you are my only hope.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You should get it. If anyone questions your decision, just tell them that mrsuitcase said it was the wisest course of action. They will nod their heads in solemn acknowledgement.

(WARNING: this opinion comes from a board game junkie... who enjoys seeing others spiral into his habit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Put in a dollar now and make your decision after you've played massive darkness a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ZBP retail version and MD kickstarter on the way. I see ZGH as adding on to those two in terms of options. Official options will be include crossover packs and multi-site campaigns, and unofficial options will be mixing and matching anything you want, making up rules, or using them as proxies in RPGs.

Both ZGH and MD are more than games. They are also pretty toys.

Honestly, put in the dollar to get the updates. If you decide it's rubbish, you're only a dollar poorer. You just reserve the option to increase your pledge (much) later when the pledge manager hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mr Suitcase is making a lot of sense here, I'd go with wHat he says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benjamintham wrote:
You just reserve the option to increase your pledge (much) later when the pledge manager hits.

Doesn't the pledge manager usually open a few months after the KS? We may not see MD before then. (Thought pledging a buck now if you aren't sure is always a good play.)

I backed Z:BP and really enjoy it. Backing Z:GH was a no-brainer. MD is the risky one for me, as I still can't tell if I will really take to it. Demo vids showed way too many monsters crammed into too-small spaces. And character progression didn't seem all that pronounced. But even if I hate it, the figures will be useful in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
benjamintham wrote:
You just reserve the option to increase your pledge (much) later when the pledge manager hits.

Doesn't the pledge manager usually open a few months after the KS? We may not see MD before then. (Thought pledging a buck now if you aren't sure is always a good play.)

It's usually open for quite awhile so you have plenty of time to decide. They were still allowing you to confirm your pledge for MD up until April of this year.

He has at least until the end of June, then 2-3 months after that before they even open the pledge manager. Then after that a few months to confirm and pay for everything. He will definetly have MD in hand and a number of games player before he has to make an final decisions with GH, as long as he pledges a dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are being dragged by the shiny minis and the hype.

Nothing wrong with that if you have the cash, though.

It all depends on the kind of gamer you are. If you really like those type of games: getting around with friends, killing a bunch of monsters, pushing cool minis around, with simple rules and gameplay that sometimes makes you think "how hard they really tested this thing?", you simply cannot go wrong. They will be different enough.

If you fancy a whole bunch of different games, but want to have a minis heavy game around to enjoy with the kids and have fun with friends once in a while, I think one is enough.

If you like to paint minis, mix games together, build house rules for the minis and for the games you should definitely participate in almost every CMON kickstarter ever. The toy box factor is huge.

If you prefer games that actually explain how to use all the bits you just bought, you might want to avoid the logistics of how to actually use the 30 abominations and 200 heroes that can be used in 10 different games and have just one of those things lying around.

If you have lots of time to play all the stuff you are gonna get, go for it. In that case, the changes on the rule set and style of the games will also be quite refreshing. If your time budget is limited, one game will probably provide plenty of variety for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Salas
Spain
Las Matas
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
benjamintham wrote:
...Official options will be include crossover packs and multi-site campaigns...

Have they said something in the KS comments or elsewhere?. Las thing I heard from and interview during CMON expo is that they didn't plan to mix the games (Maybe just some crossover material as in MD KS).
I know I will personally mix both games and that there is a post on BGG of someone working on a campaign using material from both games, but I REALLY doubt we will get an official quest/campaign combining both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rockmanlives wrote:
benjamintham wrote:
...Official options will be include crossover packs and multi-site campaigns...

Have they said something in the KS comments or elsewhere?. Las thing I heard from and interview during CMON expo is that they didn't plan to mix the games (Maybe just some crossover material as in MD KS).
I know I will personally mix both games and that there is a post on BGG of someone working on a campaign using material from both games, but I REALLY doubt we will get an official quest/campaign combining both games.

Pretty sure it was not (yet) officially announced. I try to follow Thiagos comments (and read the questions he answers to), boy what a stupid way to fetch "official" infos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Put in a dollar now and make your decision after you've played massive darkness a bit.

This is my plan, though I already have quite a bit of zombicide ( S1, S2+TCM KS, S3, BP+W KS ) so already have at least some zombicide to dive into when needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't pledge BP but I bought someone's lot. I did pledge MD. Green Horde is attractive but how much stuff are you prepared to haul around (assuming you want to combine them)? And if you don't, how different is GH likely to be than BP?

It will have the orcs and the dragon and all that is neat but is there really enough to spend all that money? That's your decision of course. If you did all the missions from BP and Wulfsburg than definitely go for it. If you did just a few missions, probably isn't worth the extra cost. But if you want it and you have the money, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to play several games of Massive Darkness at the CMON convention and have played a lot of Black Plague. Other than a lot of dice rolling they feel very different. Black Plague is a little lighter game and felt more entry level while Massive Darkness every character had a different feel and role to play. Both will have a place in my collection, it all depends on how deep a game I want to play. Of course the shiny mins add a lot to it, and wait for the crossover that has to be coming!!

bennykenobi wrote:
I originally backed this game because I played a friends copy of Zombicide and LOVED it!The MD theme appealed to me more than Zombies, so I went ALL IN. But as this game has developed it is looking more different to Zombicide every day (in a good way). So, with Green Horde on Kickstarter, I'm wondering if these games are different enough to justify getting both or am I just being dragged in by the shiny minis and the hype?

I know we don't have the game yet, and this is all just opinion, but there seem to be people on this forum who know Zombicide better and/or know massive darkness better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpickels wrote:
I was able to play several games of Massive Darkness at the CMON convention and have played a lot of Black Plague. Other than a lot of dice rolling they feel very different. Black Plague is a little lighter game and felt more entry level while Massive Darkness every character had a different feel and role to play. Both will have a place in my collection, it all depends on how deep a game I want to play. Of course the shiny mins add a lot to it, and wait for the crossover that has to be coming!!

bennykenobi wrote:

Having played both, do you see value in a cross over kit? Seems like you do, but care to share any additional thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Massive Darkness crossover added more heroes to both Black Plague and Massive Darkness and more mobs, agents and Roaming Monsters to Massive Darkness. I would love to see another that does the same thing, heroes for Green Horde and especially mobs and agents to Massive Darkness (these I believe will add the most variability to MD). Although nothing wrong with more Roaming Monsters!!

redeux wrote:
dpickels wrote:

bennykenobi wrote:

Having played both, do you see value in a cross over kit? Seems like you do, but care to share any additional thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green horde is an expansion,you need the base ZBP or Zombicide. the latter would make a modern fantasy mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronBlueFox wrote:
Green horde is an expansion,you need the base ZBP or Zombicide. the latter would make a modern fantasy mix.

Maybe I misread you, but Z:GH is a standalone game.
It is fully compatible with Z:BP and all the other expansions though.
Just thought this should be pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronBlueFox wrote:

Ahem. Zombicide (modern) and Zombicide Green Horde are not fully compatible. There will be a number of different rules and components.

Also, Green Horde is both an expansion AND a standalone game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morcars Jester wrote:
IronBlueFox wrote:

Maybe I misread you, but Z:GH is a standalone game.
It is fully compatible with Z:BP and all the other expansions though.
Just thought this should be pointed out.

Yes its content makes it a core box but as whole it is a SEASON 1 expansion to ZBP. due to its setting and such, technically its not out of the realm to be used for the base Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamintham wrote:
IronBlueFox wrote:

Ahem. Zombicide (modern) and Zombicide Green Horde are not fully compatible. There will be a number of different rules and components.

1. look at the Green horde rule book here. https://imgur.com/a/7RTdz

2. that I can agree with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronBlueFox wrote:
benjamintham wrote:
IronBlueFox wrote:

"Core boxes from a given era (classic or fantasy) are fully compatible with each other"

That is somewhat misleading. They are saying that if the games exist in the same ERA then they are compatible. It does not mean that classic and fantasy are compatible.

I also think it is misleading that they are no longer using the "seasons" verbaige. Green Horde would be considered Season 2 of the medievalcide era. Black Plague is medievalcide season 1.

I can't figure out how to make a good formatted chart on BGG but I typed this up on reddit to give a visual of the ERAs, base games and expansions. As long as you stick to the same ERA, you are compatible.
Link *click here*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redeux wrote:
IronBlueFox wrote:
benjamintham wrote:
IronBlueFox wrote:

"Core boxes from a given era (classic or fantasy) are fully compatible with each other"

That is somewhat misleading. They are saying that if the games exist in the same ERA then they are compatible. It does not mean that classic and fantasy are compatible.

I also think it is misleading that they are no longer using the "seasons" verbaige. Green Horde would be considered Season 2 of the medievalcide era. Black Plague is medievalcide season 1.

I can't figure out how to make a good formatted chart on BGG but I typed this up on reddit to give a visual of the ERAs, base games and expansions. As long as you stick to the same ERA, you are compatible.
Link *click here*

Are you sure Wulfsburg can be combined with GH without BP? And Friends or Foes with Bp without GH?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
redeux wrote:
IronBlueFox wrote:
benjamintham wrote:
IronBlueFox wrote:

Link *click here*

Are you sure Wulfsburg can be combined with GH without BP? And Friends or Foes with Bp without GH?

Yes, they come from the same era (moderncide vs medievalcide). Just note that the missions included in expansions are typically going to require tiles from the base set it is released alongside of. So Wolfsburg requires BP tiles. F&F will require GH tiles for some missions, there's a chance they might have a few missions with BP tiles. Regardless, You'd still be able to add the player/zombie cards into your decks but you would need to make up your own missions to use those tiles if the expansion booklet had tiles that you lacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the Orc Zombies, if painted right could just be savage orcs as most of them (the ones without death spikes) just look naked and crazy.

Also, The horde dragon would be awesome for MD.

Plague Ogres, demons, I think they would all make decent crossover for MD. I hope they release a pack which allows green horde stuff in MD. I feel like it can't hurt and isn't a huge effort as most crossover heroes are not terribly balanced or anything.

If anything, maybe someone can do fan expansion content for MD heroes/mobs based upon green horde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game plays differently, although they're still Ameritrash.

Keep watching for a crossover card set, so you can use the GH miniatures in MD, or vice-versa.

Also, pledge! Money now contributes towards SG. Since you loved this game, support it with a pledge. Pick up Z:BP base game when you find it on sale. The survivor SG's of GH can be played in Z:BP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.