Subject: How to handle randomised 2sided-tile laying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Youp de Wijs
Netherlands
Uden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never like cheating in a game, just play it the way it's meant to be played and take your win/loss as it is.
Rolling dice and shuffling cards can be a great way to give fun random outcomes and consequences.

But when the game asks to randomize and you can SEE what you try to randomize.. It's getting harder to stay neutral in the process.

This mostly happens if the tiles content is visible from both sides of the tile.
Some offenders in my collection: Cottage Garden, Patchwork and Forbidden Island

In Cottage Garden you have to lay a random starting grid. Why wouldn't I "accidentally" be putting that highly contested, big and perfectly fitting piece in a convenient place for me to pick up? And should I put the small tiles at the back of the line by "accidentally" putting the bigger pieces first or vice versa.

That one game of Forbidden Island was so damn annoying with the landing in one of the corners. I'll try to put it in the middle for an easier win.

Since you can SEE what you put down, you COULD be tempted to change the outcome in your favor.

How I handle it:
I normaly shuffle by just making a big mess on the table. I don't look to much at the tiles in the process and try to keep them as close to the final shuffle position as possible when getting them in position.
This still gets me sometimes choosing a direction for tiles.. Which could be tempting, thus not optimal.

How do you all handle it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
You could draw tiles out of a bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This would be great for Cottage Garden/Patchwork, but RUBBISH for Forbidden Desert - you'd be highly likely to see the OTHER side of the tile, which would be even worse for the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
If something like this bothers me I write a spreadsheet to randomise this for me if it's a lot of components. If it's just a few I use a randomising app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just select it blindly at drop it to the table.
The way it lands is the way it will be placed (side and orientation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW Redell

Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmb
For patchwork specifically, we take out thr player boards, tokens, and buttons, put the lid back on the box, shake it up, then dump thr contents onto the table and push everything out into a ring. Seems random enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork - we normally tip all the pieces out of the box in a big mess and sort of push them around until they are in a circle. then we rock paper scissor for first turn. can't really make things go your way in that method

Forbidden Island - I shuffle the tiles without looking and ask someone to randomly tell me when to stop. I then deal them out in a set pattern/order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Youp de Wijs
Netherlands
Uden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seen some good ideas. And it got me thinking a bit more... How do you shuffle a minimum amount of cards, like 2-4 cards, without knowing which is which?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Forbidden Island, lay out all tile but the landing to make the grid, roll 2 D6 to give the grid reference of where the landing goes (re-rolling invalid locations) and switch out a tile if required. For alternate setups, you may need larger dice (D8/D10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yozeph wrote:
Seen some good ideas. And it got me thinking a bit more... How do you shuffle a minimum amount of cards, like 2-4 cards, without knowing which is which?

Take the 3 cards you're looking to shuffle and place them face down into a stack of face up other cards (maybe cards from the same deck you're not using). Shuffle the whole pile until you're happy. Then remove the three face down cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have a bag for tile drawing handy, put the tiles in the box lid, hold it up over your head and shake it around, then draw a tile while it's still over your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This is a problem I see discussed somewhat often, but it always seemed far more theoretical than practical to me.

We've never had a real problem e.g. randomizing the Patchwork tiles. Just do it without thinking about it. (And frankly even if I was trying to cheat to give myself an advantage, I don't know how I would do it.)

Also, randomly decide the first player after the random setup, to reduce your apparent fear that you'll be biasing one side - if you don't know who the first player will be, then you don't know whether to help or hurt the first player.

In the case of Patchwork, you could also move the 2-square patch to a new randomly chosen place after randomly creating the entire ring, if you're paranoid that you somehow subconsciously biased the setup.

===

I saw some comment a week or two ago where someone complained that games with random setup often don't explicitly tell you how to randomize it, and therefore the rules were incomplete.

But I think random setup is not at all intended to be e.g. strictly uniformly random from among all possible setups (or to have any other strictly defined probability distribution)!

It's simply an arbitrary setup, to give variety, different starting conditions every time. It makes no difference what the exact probability distribution of the setup was. (Indeed, players could intentionally arrange a particular setup by mutual agreement if they thought it would be interesting or fun! We have often done that in Gipsy King, for example making a big ring instead of the usual compact blob of tiles.)

(As opposed to randomness during play, which should be clearly specified, e.g. "roll 1d6" or whatever to explicitly specify a uniformly random number from 1 to 6.)

===

For shuffling a tiny deck, I just repeatedly mix them with various types of in-hand shuffling, while not paying attention, until I know that I don't know their order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yozeph wrote:
In Cottage Garden you have to lay a random starting grid. Why wouldn't I "accidentally" be putting that highly contested, big and perfectly fitting piece in a convenient place for me to pick up? And should I put the small tiles at the back of the line by "accidentally" putting the bigger pieces first or vice versa.
I don't understand what it is you are doing. Are you deciding that you are first player, and then you are also putting out the tiles?

We just grab tiles from the box, toss them onto the board, and adjust them to fit into the spaces. Then we spill the rest onto the table and arbitrarily spread them around the board. Then we decide the first player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
draw from bottom of stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni C
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yozeph wrote:

If it is okay that you know what the 4 cards are and you just want to randomize the draw sequence, there is no need to "hide" them: you can just assign a number 1-4 to the cards and roll a d4 each time you have to draw one. When there are 3 left, if you score 4 with the die you roll it again until you get 1, 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Also, in non-solitaire games, have one person shuffle them, then hand them to another player who shuffles them more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a matter of not thinking too much about it, and obviously not chosing the starting player until everything is set up.

As others suggested, when playing Patchwork we just pour all the pieces over the table, arrange the resulting pile in a kind-of-circular shape and then just expand all the pieces as they are.

With Cottage Garden, we do the same thing and then just fill the board in order (from A1 to D4) with the topmost pieces of the pile. Later, when a row or column needs to be refilled, I always do it in the same order, so I can't benefit anyone: from closest to farthest with respect to the gardener. And when I put back my pieces to the tile queue I just pick them from the top left to the bottom right.

Finally, I have no trouble shuffling just a few cards. I try to be thinking about my next move or whatever I need to explain while I do it, but you can always hand them to another player for an independent extra shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For shuffling just a few cards, I spread them face down on the table, then use both hands to move them around. After a while, I stop and gather them all into a stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Drink heavily before mixing up the tiles. I may be tempted to cheat a little, but I probably won't have the coherence to cheat appropriately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run into this with regard to the summer boats in Keyflower

First I lay out all 12 tiles to choose from on the table.

Then I roll a 1d12 for each tile along with a 1d6. The d12 tells me which tile to select for auction. The d6 tells me to leave the tile turned up the way it is if the d6 result is even or to turn it over if the d6 result is an odd number.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems like bad game design to me - the game should tell you how to do this. Barring that I would use a bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have eyelids.

Pete (is just sayin')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
Seems like bad game design to me - the game should tell you how to do this.

How to lay out tiles arbitrarily for an arbitrary setup? It's arbitrary! Nothing needs to be told.

If you for some reason insist that they be laid out e.g. uniformly randomly, you can surely figure out how to do that without needing to be told how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
Seems like bad game design to me - the game should tell you how to do this.

How to lay out tiles arbitrarily for an arbitrary setup? It's arbitrary! Nothing needs to be told.

If you for some reason insist that they be laid out e.g. uniformly randomly, you can surely figure out how to do that without needing to be told how.

No how to lay out 2 sided tiles without looking at the tiles without giving a method in the rulebook to do so is bad game design IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
No how to lay out 2 sided tiles without looking at the tiles without giving a method in the rulebook to do so is bad game design IMO.

If the rulebook said "do it by any mutually agreeable arbitrary method", would that suffice? Because I really doubt that it is intended that some specific probability distribution must be adhered to, so there is really no need for the rules to overspecify some specific method of doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.