Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need advice on how to move the NPC merchant ship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering what happens to the movement of the Merchant NPC in the situation in the photograph.

The merchant must take the easiest and safest route to the next destination planet in his travel pattern of pre-programmed behavior (in this case it is Neo Damascus). Because the star has yet to be revealed, jumping blindly into space could be quite dangerous (the blue path drawn on the photo).

Additionally, the yellow path would make the Merchant take a chance and roll to be potentially destroyed by a space mine in the Debris Field. Finally, the green path shown would cause the Merchant to fly through a nebula and possibly lose energy (I know the NPCs don't have energy bars,but I still think these obstacles should be treated as a hazard to all ships in space.) [IMG]http:/https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3588024/xia-legends-drift-sy...[/IMG]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been able to view the picture yet, but if you want to know the official rules, they say that NPCs ignore nebulae. So the merchant would take that path without concern. Of course, the great thing about XIA is that it's easy to include whatever house rules make the game most fun for you!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NPC *do not* blind jump or otherwise fly off the currently existing map.

NPC are completely unaffected by nebulae, and can completely disregard their existence.

Green is the obvious choice. Blue is impossible, and Yellow is better than going through an asteroid field.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the recent information given by both yourself and Ira Fay I now understand how the NPC movement works. However, when you say that the yellow path is better than going through an asteroid field are you saying that because one would most certainly have to pass through multiple asteroid hexes vs. the only one debris field hex?

Or, are debris fields considered less dangerous than asteroids? If so, is this found in the rulebook anywhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or, are debris fields considered less dangerous than asteroids? If so, is this found in the rulebook anywhere?
Debris fields are less dangerous than asteroids, statistically speaking.

Whether you consider it a 15% chance of death and 85% chance of success; vs 50/50 damage/no-damage.
or
Debris does an average of 2.25 damage, if we take the largest NPC hitpoints of 15 (only 1.8 damage for Enforcer & Scoundrel). While asteroids do 2.75 damage on average, to all ships.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, Merchant will fly the safest, most direct route to the next trade route planet. It's basically up to you to decide what's safest. I consider Debris Fields as the most dangerous because there's a chance of instant death, even though Asteroid Fields are more likely to cause damage. Edit: Corrected by Joe H below.

I thematically play the Merchant as a greedy capitalist who's always trying to maximize profit, thus taking the shortest route possible (even if it's the most dangerous route). Also I've house-ruled that, if destroyed, Merchant's Credits remain on that space. This has only happened once in a game, where everyone abandoned their current mission to rush to the loot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
Australia
Heathwood
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For this example there is a safe path, so it won't be going through any hazards. Follow green for the first 3 spaces, yellow for the last 2 and then continue on down avoiding the asteroid fields through the mining spot, through the nebula and then around the planetary shield.

And Page 16 of the base rulebook, NPCs will go through asteroids before they go through debris fields. Asteroids > Debris > planetary shields.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Helping!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:
Or, are debris fields considered less dangerous than asteroids? If so, is this found in the rulebook anywhere?
Debris fields are less dangerous than asteroids, statistically speaking.

Whether you consider it a 15% chance of death and 85% chance of success; vs 50/50 damage/no-damage.
or
Debris does an average of 2.25 damage, if we take the largest NPC hitpoints of 15 (only 1.8 damage for Enforcer & Scoundrel). While asteroids do 2.75 damage on average, to all ships.

Of course, the asteroid damage is preventable with shields, and the debris damage isn't. And often a few points of damage won't really bother you, and your ship being destroyed would be much worse. And if all you care about is getting back to a mission point or a planet, a debris field can have 15% chance of destroying your ship, and asteroids have 0%, depending on how much damage you have already.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.