Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Katie wants a platypus card. This must happen!

Poll
Should there be a platypus card?
Yes! Of course. It's unbelievable they haven't made one yet!
No, I like kicking dogs, knocking ice cream out of the hands of children and making Katie sad.
      128 answers
Poll created by Thunkd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And please make a suggestion what this awkward mishap of evolution's ability should be and why Mars needs platypuses? platypi? more than one platypus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
And please make a suggestion what this awkward mishap of evolution's ability should be and why Mars needs platypuses? platypi? more than one platypus.

Since Martian plypoops would clearly be an internet sensation for a few centuries, there'd be some way to monetize them. So you'd have the option of either tapping them for VP like other animals, or tapping them for MC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once per turn add an animal to either "Birds", "Fish", or "Small Animals"

Would require a high level of oxygen and water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
msg tools
Earth Zoo - 18 (Animal Symbol, Earth Symbol)
Requires: 3 Cities
[Pic of Platypus Exhibit]

Place a greenery tile next to a city.

When you play (Earth Symbol), including this card, you may put an Animal on this card or move an animal from this card to another (Animal Symbol) card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
square1 wrote:
Earth Zoo - 18 (Animal Symbol)

Place a greenery tile.
When you play (Earth Symbol), you may put an Animal on this card or move an animal from this card to another (Animal Symbol) card.

Ooh, I like this! I might just require the greenery tile be placed adjacent to one of the cities. No point in a zoo if people can't easily get to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BD
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an Aussie Martian living in America, I voted yes! Needing 3 cities in play for the purposes of the Earth zoo I can understand but the poor platypus doesn't do well co-habituating with humans on Earth let alone I would imagine, on Mars. As an alternative, when playing the Platypus card, a greenery tile needs to be placed next to an ocean tile but cannot be adjacent to a city tile (living in the wild as opposed to a zoo exhibit) to make the play of this card a little different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
"No, I like kicking dogs, knocking ice cream out of the hands of children and making Katie sad."

Or what I call Tuesday afternoon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Grabowski
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
square1 wrote:

When you play (Earth Symbol), including this card, you may put an Animal on this card or move an animal from this card to another (Animal Symbol) card.

I think that there aren't enough Earth tags in the game for this to be an "every other" ability. It should be "When you play an Earth tag (including this), put an animal on this card. As an action, move one animal from this card to another card with an animal symbol. Animals cannot be removed from this card except through it's own action." That way the animals in the Zoo are protected from predators like Pets are.

Or, if you want to go the monetizing route: "As an action, gain one MC per animal on this card." The bigger the Zoo, the more money it brings in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLG wrote:
square1 wrote:

I think that there aren't enough Earth tags in the game for this to be an "every other" ability. It should be "When you play an Earth tag (including this), put an animal on this card. As an action, move one animal from this card to another card with an animal symbol. Animals cannot be removed from this card except through it's own action." That way the animals in the Zoo are protected from predators like Pets are.

Or, if you want to go the monetizing route: "As an action, gain one MC per animal on this card." The bigger the Zoo, the more money it brings in.

I LOVE these ideas!
Let me try:

Zoo (animal building)
Cost 12, requires 2 cities in play (any).
Effect: Earth tag -> animal. Animals here are protected.
Action: -> 1 MC/animal here.
Platypus picture in a zoo setting.
1 VP.

I reduced the requirement to make it more playable, especially in solo.
Removed its earth tag to reduce its initial power. If you have surplus of steel, it might still be worth playing for the VP.
I have a feeling it might be OP with the import cards though. Should there be a maximum number of animals?

This might make it into a distant expansion...
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Zoo (animal building)
1 VP.

Removed its earth tag to reduce its initial power. If you have surplus of steel, it might still be worth playing for the VP.
I have a feeling it might be OP with the import cards though. Should there be a maximum number of animals?

Perhaps you can disallow to add animals by other effects than by earth tags. This way all cards that add animals to another card don't work.
Unless you have a surplus of steel it is very stuational as it only pays out if you have several other earth tags.
Do you want to add animals for each earth tag played after this card or for each earth tag already in game? I think more thematic would be for each earth tag played later. But then I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to give it an earth tag itself so you get at least 1 MC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Zoo (animal building)
1 VP.

Perhaps you can disallow to add animals by other effects than by earth tags. This way all cards that add animals to another card don't work.
Unless you have a surplus of steel it is very stuational as it only pays out if you have several other earth tags.
Do you want to add animals for each earth tag played after this card or for each earth tag already in game? I think more thematic would be for each earth tag played later. But then I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to give it an earth tag itself so you get at least 1 MC.

Thematically, you get a VP for having a Zoo on Mars. There has to be a population (cities) enough to support it, and the more different animmals you have, the more people will come and the more you can charge. Forbidding shipped animals would be very unthematic when you ship new animals with each delivery (and influence) from Earth.
At the beginning, it might only break-even until you ship some more exotic animals (play earth tag).
I think it can still be very powerful: it basically gives every subsequent Earth-card an extra MC production that can be collected immediately.
You don't count the Earth-tags played before the Zoo, since you didn't have a zoo to ship animals to then.

It creates an interesting new Earth strategy - to wait with them until you've played the Zoo. Normally, you'll want the Earth cards out ASAP because they give very good income. Difficult decisions to be found here (good)...

Also I don't want it to be too powerful - it's just a Zoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Malashchenko
Russia
Kaliningrad
Kaliningrad region
flag msg tools
Fryxen wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Zoo (animal building)
1 VP.

Thematically, you get a VP for having a Zoo on Mars. There has to be a population (cities) enough to support it, and the more different animmals you have, the more people will come and the more you can charge. Forbidding shipped animals would be very unthematic when you ship new animals with each delivery (and influence) from Earth.
At the beginning, it might only break-even until you ship some more exotic animals (play earth tag).
I think it can still be very powerful: it basically gives every subsequent Earth-card an extra MC production that can be collected immediately.
You don't count the Earth-tags played before the Zoo, since you didn't have a zoo to ship animals to then.

It creates an interesting new Earth strategy - to wait with them until you've played the Zoo. Normally, you'll want the Earth cards out ASAP because they give very good income. Difficult decisions to be found here (good)...

Zoo (animal building)
Effect: (any player) Earth tag -> animal. Animals here are protected.
At the beginning of the next generation, reset all animals here.
1 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woland50 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Zoo (animal building)
1 VP.

Zoo (animal building)
1 VP.

Resetting (interpreted as removing all?) the animlals each generation makes the card almost worthless instead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Malashchenko
Russia
Kaliningrad
Kaliningrad region
flag msg tools
orjanalmen wrote:
Woland50 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Zoo (animal building)
1 VP.

Zoo (animal building)
1 VP.

Resetting (interpreted as removing all?) the animlals each generation makes the card almost worthless instead...

Resetting interpreted as removing all.

But it's just a zoo.
When new animals are brought to the zoo - it makes a profit.
Over time the interest of visitors is reduced and the zoo is not profitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.