flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, how you all doing??

142% funded £27,850 pledged 20 days to go!!!

This week just keeps getting better and better for us all! Our first game Gloom of Kilforth has started landing in the laps of our backers, and the initial impressions have been overwhelmingly positive. This has been instrumental in cementing our reputation for delivering the goods and producing super high quality games on a par with anything out there. Check out this awesome unboxing video which says everything about what we're trying to do, but it's way better because it's not my boring old voice saying it again ...

And of course, this level of quality is what you'll be getting with 1066, Tears to Many Mothers. So let's get straight to it!

Stretch Goals!!

We're always happy to listen to backers' feedback, and that was a huge part of what shaped the campaign for our first game, and it will be for this game too. So feel free to mouth off in the comments section because we listen to everything and act on whatever we can and whatever is reasonable. To that end the stretch goals have been updated (go check out the main page) and we should be knocking through them at a regular pace now. I'm a sucker for game content so I'm trying to cram as much of that into the game as we possibly can, but pimping components is also right up my street.

Backer PK fired out the brilliant suggestion that the damage tokens should be in the shape of tears and it was a slap-my-head 'of course' moment, and given the rate that new pledges are rolling in we should be smashing those teary wooden tokens out into the game in no time.

I've read suggestions about artificially lowering the component quality and then offering upgrades as stretch goals too, but I'm not going to lie to you and say 'ooh, we're upgrading the card stock if we hit £xxx' - you're getting top notch ivory core no matter what. You think I want another of my babies, I mean games, to be out there in the world with bog standard (or worse) card stock? No chance. We either do this properly or go home - that's been my MO since Gloom of Kilforth and that's not going to change.

I'm a gamer first, and I own a number of otherwise beautiful games that I've purchased and opened up and then sighed before realising I have to protect everything with sleeves or it will fall apart. I'm not having you guys think that when 1066 arrives. The only reason you'll want to sleeve a Hall or Nothing game is because you'll go all Gollum when you see the art and just start slavering words like "Precioussssss...."

Playmats for the game!!

Okay, so this will be our first foray into add-ons. Playmats are too expensive and weighty to just throw into every copy of the game, especially at this level of funding, and the knock on effect on shipping will be significant. I'd love to just chuck in everything we can into the game but a huge part of the learning curve from our first game was balancing what will be awesome versus what will be actually achievable. To that end, we'll be adding playmats as an optional add-on. We're finalising the final costs and logistics with Panda but in effect if you want a playmat you will need to modify your pledge and increase your total pledge total by £x amount to have a beautifully illustrated playmat included with your game.

More info on this to follow soon, so stay tuned!!

Note that this playmat is NOT essential for gameplay, it just gives you a sumptuous visual framework within which you can set up your battlefields.

I've also been reading about tuckboxes for the decks too - so leave it with me...

Tour dates

1066, Tears to Many Mothers Demo nights!!

We are currently touring the game around the north of the UK to wherever we can reach in order to spread the word, and tonight we had the pleasure of being hosted by the beautiful and friendly folk of Blackpool Harlequins, where we were able to talk to new gamers and old friends from Kilforth alike about 1066 and what we were bringing to the table as it were, with this new game.

More pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/harlequins.hq/posts/119430537069238...

And a video from the event, with a terrible representative image!

We had a fantastic evening of gaming, with one battle coming down to the very last wedge, and another battle with me being very cocky to a younger player whilst teaching the game and then soon getting taught a lesson when aforementioned young lad destroyed my leader (William) before we even reached Hastings.

I'm really trying to bring something special to the table with our offerings at Hall or Nothing Productions and if we can disseminate a little history whilst people are playing our games too then that will be fantastic. I'd love to explore more of these historical skirmishes and battlefields in future games and I hope you'll join me on the journey for more. I couldn't be more delighted with our progress so far and it's such a fantastic feeling to know that the game is going to go into production at this point no matter what. Especially when we have an artist who knocks out masterpieces like they're noodle snack-breaks at Chez Hall:

'Just a sketch I was messing with' - Ania says, delivering an emotional visual sucker punch that left me floored

But we still have the opportunity to unlock more cool card content (which is what this game is all about, let's face it) and other bits and pieces along the way, so please keep spreading the word and firing out on social media about what we're doing here and let's knock this one out of the park just like we did with Gloom of Kilforth (as one gamer put it).

Like Chief Housecarl Nick Hughes says:

Kicktraq (track our progress and perhaps a nudge up the Hotness) https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/tristanhall/1152391877/

Facebook (Because you aren't anyone if your not on the Social Media) https://www.facebook.com/1066Tears/

Twitter (For all the important "tweets" get the news out to your followers, I did to all 3 of mine!)

https://twitter.com/1066TTMM

Like, Share, Comment, rinse, repeat Sixty Sixers, consider it your call to arms!

Thanks so so much for your continuing support, ideas, and general beautifulness, in letting me continue to do the thing I love and hopefully bringing more smiles, chitchat and gaming goodness to peoples' lives. It's an absolutely fantastic opportunity for me to indulge in a creative process and share it with the world and you lovely people are the only reason I am able to continue doing this - so for that I am eternally grateful.

Game on mofos, so much more to come before we hit the end of June!

Cheers,

Tristan xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stoakes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tristan - can you post a link from here to your KS campaign? Having received GoK I was so impressed I immediately wanted to back 1066TTMM but couldn't find a link from here so had to seek it out on the KS website itself. There may be reasons why you can't post a direct link or you may have done so and I simply didn't see it.

Besides, a lot of fans of GoK's artwork, having seen the quality of GoK when it arrived, may not be aware that (for UK pledgers at any rate) 1066TTMM costs just £25 plus £5 shipping. At that price many may be tempted by the artwork alone.

Just a thought. Apologies for being late to the party if this has all been well covered elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitsto wrote:
Tristan - can you post a link from here to your KS campaign? Having received GoK I was so impressed I immediately wanted to back 1066TTMM but couldn't find a link from here so had to seek it out on the KS website itself. There may be reasons why you can't post a direct link or you may have done so and I simply didn't see it.

Besides, a lot of fans of GoK's artwork, having seen the quality of GoK when it arrived, may not be aware that (for UK pledgers at any rate) 1066TTMM costs just £25 plus £5 shipping. At that price many may be tempted by the artwork alone.

Just a thought. Apologies for being late to the party if this has all been well covered elsewhere.

I'll try it and see what happens:

http://kck.st/2rYbom6

Usually it gets you a ban or a warning, but since this is the forum for the actual game we might be okay.

Really appreciate your feedback and support Chris - I'm so pleased with how well we're doing at the moment, but we could really do with unlocking some more of those stretch goals. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art though just a sketch indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Kitsto wrote:

I'll try it and see what happens:

http://kck.st/2rYbom6

Usually it gets you a ban or a warning, but since this is the forum for the actual game we might be okay.

Really appreciate your feedback and support Chris - I'm so pleased with how well we're doing at the moment, but we could really do with unlocking some more of those stretch goals. laugh

Actually, i think they don't allow KS links outside of the KS forums. Advertising thingy i guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swagman
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this game is worth backing because I would only play it solo, and the solo play doesn't look interesting enough and it's too expensive just for that anyway. But if you had a low reward Tier offering a just an artbook, I would back that in an instant. If there is a game with better artwork on BGG, or even equal, I haven't seen it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Solo play is solid and as much fun as two player, well except you know no banter. Check the review plays which are solo and if you have already then your right it probably isn't for you.

Tristan has plans for an Ania artbook outside this KS so stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fargy wrote:
Actually, i think they don't allow KS links outside of the KS forums. Advertising thingy i guess?

Hopefully the thousands of dollars we've already spent on advertising here won't get us banned then!

ASwagman wrote:
I don't think this game is worth backing because I would only play it solo, and the solo play doesn't look interesting enough and it's too expensive just for that anyway. But if you had a low reward Tier offering a just an artbook, I would back that in an instant. If there is a game with better artwork on BGG, or even equal, I haven't seen it.

Sorry to hear you won't be backing, personally I think the guys have done a fantastic job on the solo play, and we'll even be having varying difficulty tiers too. But I'm with you on the art, and as Nick says - we will be Kickstarting Ania's art book soon so stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Both_Sides_of My_Table
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I think the game is pretty well priced for solo game compared to a large number of similar sized games from bigger companies that I have purchased from in the past. (I generally buy or back games for solo play or that have good AI mechanics built in (not tagged on the end)), and looking at how good GoK turned out, have no doubt 1066 will be excellent value for money. As Nick points out, the solo mechanic is sound and will provide as good an experience as the pvp. (and as i often discuss/talk to myself during a game, I won't be losing out on the banter either) This is the first Historical game that has really caught my attention and with Ania's art bringing the game to life & Tristan game design/leadership, I'm confident backers won't be dissapointed with the end product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I haven't seen any indication on that matter - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong of course cool : are there gonna be Terrain cards ? I don't know that much about the Hastings battle - the game might help me with that ! - but depending on what other battles you're going to develop later, it could be an intersting card type to include.

Anyways, the more I read about the game, the more I'm convinced : I'm off to the KS page right away cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ango the botty flap wrote:
I have to say that I think the game is pretty well priced for solo game compared to a large number of similar sized games from bigger companies that I have purchased from in the past. (I generally buy or back games for solo play or that have good AI mechanics built in (not tagged on the end)), and looking at how good GoK turned out, have no doubt 1066 will be excellent value for money. As Nick points out, the solo mechanic is sound and will provide as good an experience as the pvp. (and as i often discuss/talk to myself during a game, I won't be losing out on the banter either) This is the first Historical game that has really caught my attention and with Ania's art bringing the game to life & Tristan game design/leadership, I'm confident backers won't be dissapointed with the end product.

Thanks so much Giles, it means a lot to read this.

Eawyne wrote:
So far, I haven't seen any indication on that matter - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong of course cool : are there gonna be Terrain cards ? I don't know that much about the Hastings battle - the game might help me with that ! - but depending on what other battles you're going to develop later, it could be an intersting card type to include.

Anyways, the more I read about the game, the more I'm convinced : I'm off to the KS page right away cool

Apart from the three main wedge cards that the battle is fought over, or the Objectives that each player has to overcome, the terrain cards - such as they are - in this game take their form as attachments which represent either the Saxons knowledge of their own lands, or the fortifications that the Normans were able to build before the Saxons arrived. Strictly speaking, Senlac Ridge is the only terrain that the main battle was fought over, and following the history that terrain doesn't vary too much.

In any case it is an excellent concept, and something I enjoy seeing in games like Warfighter, and it could be great to include in future theatres of conflict.

Thanks so much for your interest in the game Florent. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Apart from the three main wedge cards that the battle is fought over, or the Objectives that each player has to overcome, the terrain cards - such as they are - in this game take their form as attachments which represent either the Saxons knowledge of their own lands, or the fortifications that the Normans were able to build before the Saxons arrived. Strictly speaking, Senlac Ridge is the only terrain that the main battle was fought over, and following the history that terrain doesn't vary too much.

In any case it is an excellent concept, and something I enjoy seeing in games like Warfighter, and it could be great to include in future theatres of conflict.

Thanks so much for your interest in the game Florent. cool

Well, I just recently saw my interst in medieval warfare rise, and your game happens to feed my curiosity and taste for games in general laugh The system seems rich and easy enough to maybe enroll my wife too.

EDIT : by the way, will that sketch by Ania be used ingame ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:

Haha, since the moment she sent it I've been scrambling for a way to make it work in the game! It's an angel come to deliver a dying warrior though, so it's a bit light on the whole 'history' element side of things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Eawyne wrote:

Haha, since the moment she sent it I've been scrambling for a way to make it work in the game! It's an angel come to deliver a dying warrior though, so it's a bit light on the whole 'history' element side of things...

Well, given the powerful imagery of the times, it's not too far streched to imagine this vision a soldier had while dying, only to be saved in time not by an angel, but a fellow comrade.

- Whoa ! You're never gonna believe what I just saw.
- I'm sorry, I had to cut your hand off, it was such a mess
- Don't care, saw an angel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
Eawyne wrote:

Well, given the powerful imagery of the times, it's not too far streched to imagine this vision a soldier had while dying, only to be saved in time not by an angel, but a fellow comrade.

- Whoa ! You're never gonna believe what I just saw.
- I'm sorry, I had to cut your hand off, it was such a mess
- Don't care, saw an angel.

laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swagman
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made an intriguing discovery: the reason I thought this was overpriced was because I confused its price with another Kickstarter or was otherwise temporarily abandoned by my ability to do basic addition. Now I know it actually does meet my price point for card games, and the pound will probably drop further against our dollar. I'll have to reconsider this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Both_Sides_of My_Table
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reconsider away @Aswagman...I'm confident you'll not regret backing, if you choose to. I've tried the p&p playtest version and, if my copy of GoK is anything to go by, the finished 1066 end product will be spectacular
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.