58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Unfair» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game really broken like Tom Vasel mentioned in his review? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
I love the theme of the game. However, it worries me like Vasel mentioned in his review. He disliked the games. However, I watched other videos of people that love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see his review but why does he say that Unfair is broken??
I played only 4 or 5 games so far but I didn't feel it was broken in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, he never said it was broken, he just said it was too heavy with "take that" elements. And it is, if you play badly.

Y'see, most of the "take that" cards give you options: something really good for you, or do something slightly bad to someone else. And in the vast majority of times, it is better to do the good thing for you. You'll generally only want to do the bad thing if you think it will knock someone out of a high-scoring blueprint.

There are also some cards in decks like the Ninja deck that can straight up destroy other players' stuff. These are bad, but those very same decks come with defense mechanisms built in. I can see some people not liking this style, but to be honest you need some powerful tools to stop the stronger blueprints (Ninjas has some HUGE bonuses).

There's also the bad stuff that comes from the city deck that hits everyone equally. I recommend reviewing those cards before you start playing.

In general, knowing the decks helps you understand why there is "take that" in this game. Without knowing the decks, it can seem mean.

The title "Unfair" refers not only to the bad parts, the "take that" parts, but also to the really really powerful blueprints that some people can luck into. You need the former to balance the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing broken about it. At all. I mirror Tom's sentiment on it, it turned out not to be for me, but broken? Not even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, search for "Tom Vasel" in these forums - there are a lot of discussions on his review.

In short - everything he says is indicative of poor play, not a broken game. The biggest example is when he says "I built a park full of food outlets... and a city event closed all food outlets!"

He blames the game. The obvious answer is ... build a variety of attraction types. How many theme parks have you heard of that are just 5 restaurants once you go through the gate...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
So is this game a great couples´s game or is it, as the title say, UNFAIR an will make my gf throw the game on my head!? lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with my husband and we both love it. Yes I get frustrated with some of the things he does, but then I dig in the decks to find something to counter it or improve my own park. I am not usually one for take that, but I really enjoy UnFair. Also keep in mind that it's just not your opponent that can do take that to you, the UNfair City cards also can be mean. They are the last 3 cards of the City Event deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
I've played it with my husband and we both love it. Yes I get frustrated with some of the things he does, but then I dig in the decks to find something to counter it or improve my own park. I am not usually one for take that, but I really enjoy UnFair. Also keep in mind that it's just not your opponent that can do take that to you, the UNfair City cards also can be mean. They are the last 3 4 cards of the City Event deck.
FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jo
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't actually own the game yet - but isn't there a whole variant to remove the "take that" completely from the game? I'm a little confused why the issue keeps coming up. Am I mistaken about that, or does the variant not work well at all? Edit - the Game Changer card "World Peace" is what I'm thinking of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah Jo wrote:
Don't actually own the game yet - but isn't there a whole variant to remove the "take that" completely from the game? I'm a little confused why the issue keeps coming up. Am I mistaken or does the variant not work well at all?

There's been discussion that the variant which removes the "take that" aspect of the game introduces an entirely different set of reasons to not embrace it.

That's probably why it hasn't settled the matter enough to reduce discussion concerning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have one game under my belt so take it for what it's worth...played three player. scores were 96, 96, 93. Closer than we all thought. Not a very take that group, but the city events were brutal to one player who didn't have enough money. There were a couple of grrr moments and I think one player should have messed with me on final turn, but didn't (allowed me to get to 93 with blueprint completion).

To me it's as "take that" as your metagame allows it, which may lend to people thinking it's broken. YMMV though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jo
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
There's been discussion that the variant which removes the "take that" aspect of the game introduces an entirely different set of reasons to not embrace it.

That's probably why it hasn't settled the matter enough to reduce discussion concerning it.

Eep. I'll try and hunt the discussion down for more info, then. Using that was kind of a factor in whether or not to purchase the game for my household, haha. We were thinking if it turned out to be a bit too harsh for us, we'd just use World Peace. Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah Jo wrote:
Don't actually own the game yet - but isn't there a whole variant to remove the "take that" completely from the game? I'm a little confused why the issue keeps coming up. Am I mistaken about that, or does the variant not work well at all? Edit - the Game Changer card "World Peace" is what I'm thinking of.

World Peace is a fine way to play, with the right people and the right decks. The main problem is that the decks heavier on attacks are of course balanced for those attacks and even the decks with low take that, are designed with the idea that the take-that will act as a catch-up mechanism/prevent a runaway leader mechanism. Someone is building a tall ride and scoring lots of points? close it down. Snack seller earning too much? send them on vacation. Remove this and you are left with no way of holding back your opponent and instead must out build them. It's doable, but the game will be more luck influenced than it would be otherwise. I played my first several games with WP and we still had a blast playing. We have largely moved over to the currently unoffical "Building Insurance" which works well for us here and helps restore the inherent balance the take that cards come with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah Jo wrote:
Auzette wrote:

Eep. I'll try and hunt the discussion down for more info, then. Using that was kind of a factor in whether or not to purchase the game for my household, haha. We were thinking if it turned out to be a bit too harsh for us, we'd just use World Peace. Thanks for the reply!

Cool. To be clear, I *personally* think the World Peace variant is a reasonably sufficient way to bypass conflict, probably has the best chance of being played for the groups I'm involved with.

In any case, happy gaming and I hope Unfair turns out to be a gem for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about twenty games in to my copy playing 2P with my 11yo daughter and we love it.

Take that barely comes into play for us and not because I take it easy on her. In fact given how often she wins I need take that to get me back in the game.

Personally I'm a bit hesitant on using any reviews to govern my gaming I much prefer to watch game play videos to see if it scratches my itch. Reviewers to my mind never carbon copy what I like.

I'd recommend looking at full playthroughs to see if it's for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
I love the theme of the game. However, it worries me like Vasel mentioned in his review. He disliked the games. However, I watched other videos of people that love the game.

Long story short - Vasel got this one wrong, so don't be worried about it. I don't think he spent long enough on it (and let's face it, he can't on every one), and so he only saw the flaws without the solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent game and certainly not born in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sarah Jo wrote:
Auzette wrote:

FWIW, I play games almost exclusively with my wife and Unfair is one of our favorite games lately. We always play with the World Peace game changer, and it's great for us. It is true that with WP, someone with a good engine can get ahead and you can't stop them, but then building a good engine is what this game is about (for us anyway), so the focus is just more on getting that engine going rather than tearing down your opponent's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, great solution for people who don't like the "take that" part (as mentioned before) and if you concentrate on hurting others you'll lose the game.

While I like watching Tom's reviews, he kind of lost me as a follower of his advise because I found I'm disagreeing with a large number of his verdicts.

My advice: check out more / different reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
So is this game a great couples´s game or is it, as the title say, UNFAIR an will make my gf throw the game on my head!? lol

I play this with my wife a ton. We have almost 40 plays just between us two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmb
No.

I think Tom is wrong about the game in a number of ways, but I don't really blame him too much for it.

There is some take that, but it is manageable, there is some randomness but it can be mitigated in a number of ways, there is some swinginess but there are strategies around that too. But often those strategies and options aren't apparent on a first play or a second or a third.

It is a game that rewards multiple plays. As you play you learn (pretty intuitively and naturally) what works and how to manage risk, and the game improves as a result. And its not a game where you need to sit down and read all the cards in advance and puzzle out a combo, you can, but you develop that over time pretty naturally.

I think the game needs 5+ plays to 'click' and many to master. And Tom Vasel, reviewing hundreds of games a year would not have time to devote that to a game. His is a 'first impression' type review and its a shame for him and Unfair, that he didn't have the time to invest in it.

For us mere mortals, who don't have another 25 games clamoring for our attention this week, I would urge you 'come for the amazing art, stay for the developing strategy'.

If after a few plays it's not your thing fair enough, but even if its not I think you will see a more nuanced game than Tom did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jo
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah Jo wrote:
Eep. I'll try and hunt the discussion down for more info, then. Using that was kind of a factor in whether or not to purchase the game for my household, haha.

Ok, I had time to watch the review and also read up on some more recent discussion about the game. Just wanted to say my momentary fear has lessened and it's still on my "to buy" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Sarah Jo wrote:
Auzette wrote:

Cool. To be clear, I *personally* think the World Peace variant is a reasonably sufficient way to bypass conflict, probably has the best chance of being played for the groups I'm involved with.

In any case, happy gaming and I hope Unfair turns out to be a gem for you.

we've been testing a new Game Changer: "Building Insurance" "Whenever an event would cause an attraction or upgrade in your park to be demolished, you may forfeit one Park step action in the same round to block the event from affecting you"

We have found this a nice way to still allow money stealing, ride closing, employee disrupting but blocking the worst destruction for those who don't want to lose what they have built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
Great game, great solution for people who don't like the "take that" part (as mentioned before) and if you concentrate on hurting others you'll lose the game.

While I like watching Tom's reviews, he kind of lost me as a follower of his advise because I found I'm disagreeing with a large number of his verdicts.

My advice: check out more / different reviews.

I also soured on Tom's reviews after this and several other reviews which I felt were ill-considered. It led me to wonder how much time he spent with the game. I've played with family and friends, 2-3 players, and all of us love the game and look forward to the next session. I can't wait for more theme packs!

Also... there is an 8-page Unfair Strategy Guide which we found very helpful. It is worth reading if considering a purchase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

My fiance and I have used less than 2 take that elements PER GAME in all the games we've had, and we certainly could have avoided them. I promise your girlfriend will not be mad unless you are a jerk about it. Promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.