Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Has this replaced LOTR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Lord of the Rings Game fanMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: The Dresden Files fan
I am a long time LOTR LCG player. I almost always play solo but unfortunately not as often as I would like. While there is still quite a bit of already published LOTR LCG material I Have not played yet should I be looking at this game now?

It seems like the steam is running out of LOTR - FFG hardly ever has any updates on their website and even most of the guys at Cardboard of the Rings have announced their plans to quit podcasting after this Gencon.

I really hope they continue on with LOTR as there are many places and cards I still want to see but it looks like FFG is winding production down.

That being said, should I be looking to get into Arkham Horror to satisfy my solo cardgame needs. Is this a worthy follow-up to LOTR LCG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Can't speak to whether LotR is winding down, but Arkham's a fantastic game! You may find a lot of stuff to like that it inherited from LotR, as well as some new takes.

Matt Newman used to worked on LotR before he moved on to Arkham, though I forget on which products exactly. Definitely some nightmare decks and the cycle with the ships (I stopped playing around Heirs of Numenor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotR and Arkham are my top two games right now, but I do prefer LotR. I’m planning to buy all expansions for both games for the foreseeable future. I hope they continue both for a very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Orléans fanMicrobadge: Raptor fanMicrobadge: I kill MerlinMicrobadge: Abyss fan
If you need me to say yes to justify you buying it anyway then well... yes? They're two different products both supported by FFG, and this one is an evolution from what they learned with LOTR LCG, but different enough to be a different beast. That doesn't mean you need to sell your LOTR LCG collection and buy into this; but if you enjoy the idea of LCGs then this is a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Microbadge: Giga-Robo! fanMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The SurvivorMicrobadge: L5R Crab Clan
I was a big LOTR player. I played both for a while, but decided to retire LOTR in favor of AH TCG. AH TCG is pretty much what I want from this type of experience and I had to reduce my card buying budget so I picked the one co op LCG I liked more and picked just one of the competitive LCGs to collect. That said I still like LOTR. I'll probably pick up that last saga box to close that out. It's just a matter of too many games to play and I found AH TCG was reaching the table more both with other people and when I wanted to play solo so it won out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kypatzer wrote:
That being said, should I be looking to get into Arkham Horror to satisfy my solo cardgame needs. Is this a worthy follow-up to LOTR LCG?
It is definitely a worthy follow-up. The deckbuilding is more limited (you may even prefer the lighter approach) but the gameplay is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG posterMicrobadge: I play with blue!
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: DropMix fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Team Covenant fan
No, but I'm finding it easier to get games in because there are more people excited about it who are keen to play it with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Runebound fanMicrobadge: Hellboy: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Chone manya weesh asha beecho...
I'm in the same boat as you, Joe - been following LotR since it came out, but I've recently been feeling it's running out of steam and it's been putting me off. I got AH at Christmas but haven't really gotten into it yet. I'm thinking it might be a good alternative when the eventual end comes. I keep meaning to set aside some time to get to grips with the new Dunwich stuff, but I've just not been feeling it yet. Maybe when the last Saga expansion comes out for LotR, and the end is announced, it'll make me want to make that leap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GameChat League - Gelato Division: "Discover your favorite flavour!"Microbadge: This is not the microbadge you're looking forMicrobadge: Depression and Mental Health AwarenessMicrobadge: I obsess over microbadge alignmentMicrobadge: LGBTQ ally
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Microbadge: Japan International Gamers Guild memberMicrobadge: I play with purple!Microbadge: Galaga fanMicrobadge: Mmmph!Microbadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Ahsoka Tano
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Eclipse Phase RPG fanMicrobadge: Steampunk fanMicrobadge: Savage Worlds RPG fan
Nope. I find the gameplay and deckbuilding in LotR more satisfying, but they're both great games. They scratch different itches and worthy of any solo player's collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 11 BGG poster
soullos wrote:
They scratch different itches and worthy of any solo player's collection.
This.

They are very different games.

LotR feels more focused on deck building with the goal of solving the puzzle of a given scenario.

AH feels more like generating an RPG character in a more building-limited deck form and then experiencing many scenarios which tell a story while your character develops both by the scenario and your choices changing your deck slightly as you go.

I have both but enjoy AHLCG most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Depends on what things you like most about LOTR the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Aleph-0 - I'm a countable infinity!Microbadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fan
As others have said, it depends.

What I do not like about LoTR is that you spend 90% of time building a deck and 10% playing it...or that playing it is almost even not needed.

I love the storytelling aspect of AH, much more theme than LoTR.

On the negative, LoTR has lots more content (sure, for AH it will eventually not be a problem but for now it is), and the game itself has fewer choices (not that it has zero...it has fewer).

In any case, for me it has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan
Nope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Microbadge: The Meeple That Should Not BeMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Living Card Game fanMicrobadge: WFRP - Slaanesh fan
These games will just have to learn to share space in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Blue Collar Geek
gnurf wrote:
These games will just have to learn to share space in my collection.

Agnes and Zoey explain the concept of "buffet" to Pippin

Pete and Bilbo exchange travelling songs

Rex is seen in the Rivendell library, researching Mandos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Del M
msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fanMicrobadge: The Duke fanMicrobadge: Video gamer
For me it's an absolute YES! Have you looked at a let's play of AHLCG? If it interests you, it's worth a shot.

That being said, I think switching because Lotr may be done isn't necessarily a great reason. Chances are they'll be reprinting for awhile even when it's done so you can get quite a bit of it. If you prefer Lotr I don't see why you have to switch, or at least switch yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan
Unfortunately the core set is out of stock again, so getting into this game is almost as hsrd as getting into Star Wars Destiny...almost. I cannot understand how FFG keeps under-producing these products.

BTW Cool Stuff in Maitland still has a couple core sets on their in store shelves but none online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Microbadge: The Meeple That Should Not BeMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Living Card Game fanMicrobadge: WFRP - Slaanesh fan
CPBelt wrote:
I cannot understand how FFG keeps under-producing these products.
Yeah, you'd think it's popular or something! My FLGS had a couple on the shelf one day, all gone next day. What HAPPENED to them‽

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam S.
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions IncorporatedMicrobadge: Legendary fan - X-Men TeamMicrobadge: I'm a Terraforming Mars fan!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
I've been playing AH for a while, and have recently gotten into LotR. I prefer to play AH with 2-4 players, while I mostly enjoy LotR as a solo game. I plan to continue with both games and hope they continue to support LotR in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Microbadge: Japan International Gamers Guild memberMicrobadge: I play with purple!Microbadge: Galaga fanMicrobadge: Mmmph!Microbadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Ahsoka Tano
sch21c wrote:
I've been playing AH for a while, and have recently gotten into LotR. I prefer to play AH with 2-4 players, while I mostly enjoy LotR as a solo game. I plan to continue with both games and hope they continue to support LotR in the future.
Yeah, I play LotR solo as well mostly but always try to have two decks together. It doesn't happen often but it was awesome sitting down and taking on a random quest with someone else that knew the game well. Real intense analytical team strategizing happening right out the door, round one. Pretty neat!

It hasn't gotten to that level with Arkham yet because there really isn't that win / fail pressure happening each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
Microbadge: I play the drumsMicrobadge: EnvironmentalistMicrobadge: Amateur Magician
phillosmaster wrote:
and picked just one of the competitive LCGs to collect.
Which one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Microbadge: Giga-Robo! fanMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The SurvivorMicrobadge: L5R Crab Clan
ZUR13L wrote:
phillosmaster wrote:
and picked just one of the competitive LCGs to collect.
Which one?
Netrunner right now. My one competitive game was Conquest, but it was cancelled when FFG lost the license so it's back to Netrunner.

Netrunner is a fine game and it has strong support in my area so I'm assured players. I think though I'd rather do something new because I've been playing Netrunner since launch and I'm getting a bit tired of it. I'm hyped for the new L5R I think when it gets released (as long as it doesn't totally suck and/or there is no one playing in my area) I'll probably jump to that game. I briefly tried AGOT and AGOT 2.0. In both cases that game just didn't hold my interest so they were easy to cut.

On the topic of my getting burnt out on Netrunner I think FFG needs to evaluate the structure for competitive LCGs. I think we've been living with more or less the same card pool for too long for a competitive card game. I think the experience needs to be more dynamic. Also the jump on point needs to be more new player friendly. I know that was the point of the rotation policy, but I think the policy is way too conservative. I suspect that's why Destiny was a collectible game instead of another LCG. I think they knew there was virtues worth exploring in that system, but of course there is the obvious downside.

I guess the meat of that aside is I just hope they continue to evolve their product line. I feel like they've settled on this LCG format and it works great for cooperative card games like AH LCG and LOTR LCG for a variety of reason. I think for competitive games they shouldn't get so comfortable with the format because I feel it still has room for improvement. I'd be excited for them to figure out what works about their LCG model and what works about their destiny model and take a risk on some new format in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |