Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you use house rules for encounters? Fighting monsters AND drawing encounters (even if you explored on your turn) is brutal. On the one hand, heroes should stick together but on the other one, a lot of encounters deal damage to all heroes on the same tile so you should not stay together.
My group was tired of getting beaten up every turn.

Do you use house rules?

Maybe counter encounters for 4 instead of 5 XP?

Or level ups are free ONCE the party reaches x XP (discared for countered encounters included) and maybe on a 19 and 20? Level ups are essential...but rolling a 20 is rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeanderLeitner wrote:

Do you use house rules?

No. I just play games that are hard sometimes, because that's fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeanderLeitner wrote:
Or level ups are free ONCE the party reaches x XP (discared for countered encounters included) and maybe on a 19 and 20? Level ups are essential...but rolling a 20 is rare.
Rolling a 20 is indeed very rare. Except when rolling for the monsters of course I think I would say something like 10XP to level up, no die roll needed. That makes it MUCH more in line with leveling up "normally" instead of randomly. It also means one less Encounter countered so that's something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The encounter deck is a fairly crude clock.

I play with the monster tiles from Castle Ravenloft for more monsters and I usually take out all the red encounter cards because they're the least interesting.

After playing these games a ton, the "take 1 damage" encounter cards are just there to drain your resources. They don't do anything interesting.

Removing them makes the deck seem a little less random. Encounters still happen but they aren't weak sauce "random damage because we need you to move forward to drive the game to conclusion" cards.

If you don't have the monster tiles, just make a quick d20 chart for 0-3 monsters per monster spawn and you'll get a similar effect.

I also suggest the Dungeon Command monsters if you can get them. They're mostly tougher than the others, which keeps the clock moving and in a more interesting ways than the red encounter cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
And if you find that more monsters isn't balancing out the lack of red encounters, play with one less healing surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Gardner
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Do you use house rules?

When all the heroes are at level 1, I'll remove Encounter cards that attack everyone (except Trap cards) and Encounter cards that can potentially deal 3 damage. Mostly it's the Red cards.

I house rule any Encounter card or Monster that attacks and still deals a damage even if they miss. If that Monster or Encounter card rolls a 1, it is a critical miss and they deal no auto-damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ikky Kano
msg tools
I tried one house rule today on that matter that worked really fine.

In the exploration phase:

If the hero has discovered a new tile with a white arrow, he/she does not draw an encounter card.

If the hero has discovered a new tile with a black arrow, roll a die against a difficulty equal to (5 + total number of tiles in play) if the number rolled is higher, nothing happens, if its equal or less, draw an encounter card

If the hero has not discovered discovered a new tile, roll a die against a difficulty equal to (10 + total number of tiles in play) if the number rolled is higher, nothing happens, if its equal or less, draw an encounter card

It encourages you to keep moving, and at the same time is quite more balanced because the more tiles you explore, higher the chance to get an encounter, but as you have both more xp and better gear (from killing monsters) everything feels less punishing.

Eventually, of course, comes a time where you draw encounter almost always, just like in vanilla rules.

It also helps building the feeling that, the deeper you drlve into the dungeon, the more dangerous it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We draw encounters when we have a black arrow tile. Other times when it calls to draw an encounter we roll a D20 and on a 1-10 we draw the encounter.

I also took out the pit and the cage because they are terrible. One game we had the pit swallow 3 of the 4 party members and we could not get out. Roll, nope stuck. Roll, nope stuck. Roll, nope stuck. Attack monster, "HELP GUYS!". Did that for ten minutes before declaring that everyone got out of the pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.