Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Shadow Delve essentials" streamlined rules variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Delve essentials ("SDe") is a SDE rules variant that streamlines gameplay, while still playing similar to the original SDE.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw3NoribSxSyTlY0VVBDZ3FpRX...

Shadow Delve changed a lot of things to boil the gameplay down to the essence of the original SDE game, removing various extraneous elements that seemed to get forgotten or overlooked.

3-Hero / 3-Tile focus
SDe focuses on shorter games of 3 Heroes on 3 Tiles, but accommodates larger (and smaller!) games.

Phased Activation
SDe uses phased activation by model type (i.e. Spawn Points, Supers, Heroes, then Minions) within an overall game round construct, rather than an alternating model activation. Phases reduce the number of activated / non-activated models that one might have to track over the course of each round, by limiting activation to an individual phase.

Simplified Tracking
Rather than tracking individual wounds inflicted (or Loot collected), the game only tracks key models (i.e. Spawn Points, Supers and Heroes), spawning Supers when 2 key models are defeated.

No Farming!
Loot is only given for defeating Spawn Points, not for Minions. A Treasure Chest only appear when a Spawn Point is defeated. This keeps the Heroes focused on the Spawn Points, and the Minions focused on the Heroes. It also cuts out excess Hero movement going to and fro after Treasure Chests.

No Power-Ups!
Instead of powering up Minions to match the Heroes, the Consul should leverage the mini-Boss, then Dungeon Boss if/when they become available.

Boss Timeout!
Rather than an involved, automatic Boss Timeout, this has been simplified to a smaller action available if the Consul has taken the Heroes' Coin.

Creeps!
SDe even includes Creeps, spawned by Supers on a winning attacks with a Potion symbol.

Comments are, of course, welcome. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This project has gone dormant for the past few months, but I have a little bit of rebalance that needs to be done as an update. Specifically, I need to tone down the monster spawns a bit, as the spawns are just a means to an end, and they're not really intended to be the actual fight. The real fight is supposed to be the Boss Fight, where the spawn points are just prologue and warmup. Oops...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Montalto
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I like what youve done here. This actually proves my point from a previous post. Youve streamlined alot (it seems i havnt play tested this) and im sure you have a full time job thats isnt trying to better a bad rule set game haha. this is the first hero i made. Hes a guild ball character whos design i loved. He also just happend to have a chibi mini. i cant figure out how to put the .json file in this yet so the pics a little shitty

I felt like i wanted a support character to start. I also have a beserker made and im working on a straight healer as i felt there isnt enough of those

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, and yeah, I was trying to salvage my SDE purchases as a side project, separate from my day job.

I always like to see custom Heroes - that's something I haven't gotten into. If you've got a bunch of them, then creating a thread on BGG to share them would be pretty neat for those who want more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Montalto
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
Thanks, and yeah, I was trying to salvage my SDE purchases as a side project, separate from my day job.

I always like to see custom Heroes - that's something I haven't gotten into. If you've got a bunch of them, then creating a thread on BGG to share them would be pretty neat for those who want more variety.

That sounds like a good idea. I have a couple of pets and items im working on as well. when they are finished ill start a thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.