Subject: How is this game doing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been out of the loop and am not a serious CCG player anyways, but I'm curious how this game is doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play it casually as only bought in at SoR to try it, so don't have any awakenings. It seems fun, but I can't build a deck that would stand any chance competitively without some of the critical Awakenings cards. Sith Holocron, Holdout Blaster, Poe, etc. I'd say it's pretty dead on BGG because of the CCG nature of it, but if you ignore that and just play it casually it's fun. The current meta (Poe/Maz) looks awful though as it plays nothing like the rest of the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fun but I ended up selling my stuff as I was disappointed in the fact that I couldn't get my hands on product. That looks to have changed as I'm seeing boxes of the new stuff in stores now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already dead in my area because of the lack of availability. First set sold out in moments. FLGS got lots of second set, but reports nobody is buying it because the few who bought have moved on. So there are boosters to buy, but nobody buying or playing. Real shame as it could be huge.

Not helped also by the stupid amounts of money required to get some of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is dead and selling out everywhere. That's your typical response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
Maple Ridge
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems pretty alive in my area, especially now that product is becoming more available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IT IS SUPER AWESOME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michelecannone wrote:
IT IS SUPER AWESOME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Combs
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going really strong in my area and seems to be growing now that there is actually product to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you can't buy it, you want it.

If you can buy it, you don't want it.

I dunno how this all works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
died in our area. Sucks because it is a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Already dead in my area because of the lack of availability. First set sold out in moments. FLGS got lots of second set, but reports nobody is buying it because the few who bought have moved on. So there are boosters to buy, but nobody buying or playing. Real shame as it could be huge.

KevinMask wrote:
So if you can't buy it, you want it.

If you can buy it, you don't want it.

I dunno how this all works.

I probably didn't explain it very well....

Our FLGS got (as with most places) very limited supplies of the first set. It sold out very rapidly with (I was told) just a handful of people buying the majority of the stock.

What this meant was that there was nothing left to buy, for a long period of time. The players with stock could not tempt others to a game, the store could not run events, people could not get in to the game.....it was basically a non-event.

Fast forward to the second set coming in....what has been reported is that the players who bought up all the original stock have lost interest through lack of players, and so aren't buying. Potential new players have been turned off partly because now NOBODY is playing, and also because they fear that stock will again suddenly run out. There is also a fear expressed that because they weren't in at the start, some desirable cards will forever be out of reach (my point about current huge prices caused by the scarcity of original cards).

I don't think this was anything more than FFG dramatically miscalculating how much opening stock they needed, but the result - where I am at least - is that the lack of availability initially and the high prices for certain singles is causing feedback loops where the more casual player doesn't want to jump in because there are no players and because they see no chance of getting the cards they would like to play (the Vaders, the Lukes, etc) - and the more hard-core players also fear the game because of the high cost and low availability of some cards that are perceived as being high-value for competitive play.

Not so much "If you can buy it, you don't want it", but rather "well, I can buy THIS one, but (based on past experience) I may well not be able to buy the NEXT one - so why bother buying at all?

I think it can (and hopefully will) be turned around if FFG can get high quantities of stock out there on a consistent basis. My fear is that the early issues that are causing over-stock of 2nd wave cards to cause FLGS to be too wary of ordering - and hence the unavailability cycle will start again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Seattle, WA, and the game is doing great. I could play at a meetup up pretty much any day of the week at various game stores. There's a tournament about every weekend now. Stores near me have product that you can walk in and buy.

I am not thrilled with the current meta (more roll-and-resolve, meaning that there's more that your opponent can do with you being able to respond, which feels against the spirit of the original game), but this has just lead me to play outside of the meta until FFG fixes it. I started a new group that is casual-focused and encourages silly deck experiments, and WOW, it's fun! I really enjoy playing "mid tier" and not top-level decks, and I have lots of room to experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS said they expect FF to start shipping Awakenings again in July. If true, availability could bring prices down and players in. Anyone else hear anything similar about another printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradly Billingsley
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
BadLT wrote:
My FLGS said they expect FF to start shipping Awakenings again in July. If true, availability could bring prices down and players in. Anyone else hear anything similar about another printing?

Team Covenant has the street date for the reprint of Awakenings at June 22nd. You would think if anyone would know, they would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Scott
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My small group is still having fun with it and in my general area stores have had tourneys for both the initial launch and SoR launch with more planned.

While I only play casually seems like it's good for both fun and competitive play right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.