25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a big board with all the bells and whistles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Donkervart
msg tools
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for boardgames which have a big board and lots of pieces that shape a great atmosphere like you're really living it.
It seems to me boardgames with big detailed pieces and beautiful designed landscapes aren't widely available. What I see is more about cards and a flat board and thats exactly not what I'm looking for.

What I would love is a board with different heights (e.g.: a landscape with houses, tries, moutains,towers, rivers etc.) Just anything and not something nice looking printed on a flat surface.

I'm a big fan of Risk, probably because I played it so much when I was young. I'm not sure what I liked about it but I guess all those pieces spreading across the board and rolling the dice does feel great. And even while being on the loser end you could be lucky and make a sneaky comeback (also like the old version more than the newer versions that came out)

I like rolling the dice but it would also be nice to spin, press, push or build something in stead of just collecting cards.

Not that into ww2 games or making a money. e.g.: monopoly.

Anyone got the golden tip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistic goal: Argent: The Consortium

What you're really looking for: Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape sounds like a great fit for you, but be warned it costs a lot.

More reasonable, I think I saw for $60 in the geekmarket. Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York

Also, try Archipelago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike n Phyllis Snedeker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva Deluxe

Board goes 3-D and with the three types of different towers, you've got a visual treat, no dice, but great screw your opponents game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini is an excellent 2 player abstract game with variable player powers. Last print run sold out. Look for new print run maybe by end of 2017?

I would also recommend Steampunk Rally which really gets you immersed in the theme of building a crazy contraption, racing it, and venting it so it doesn't blow up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the game, but Terror in Meeple City takes place in a 3-D city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, how could I forget Mechs vs. Minions. Order this one direct from riot games website. $80 including shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not aware of many games having 3D terrain unless you custom build/order it, but good mini's tend to make most games pop a bit more for me. Here are some that are popular with my group:

Arcadia Quest
This is a cutthroat PvP game with great minis and lots of dice rolling.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
This is a co-op game with an app, or 1v4 game. It also has great minis and lots of dice rolling.

Xia: Legends of a Drift System
This is a sandbox style game where there are many paths to victory. You actually upgrade your ships as you progress through the game. Like the others, great minis and a good amount of dice rolling.

Blood Rage
This is a strategic card drafting game where you battle it out over territories to pillage.

+1 for Mechs vs. Minions, it is a great game that looks amazing laid out across the table. It is a co-op card drafting/programming game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Donkervart
msg tools
Thanks everyone for the replies so far,highly appreciated. Unfortunately it's still not really what I'm after. I wanna be blown away (e.g.: think of it at as a high budget movie production). I don't care much what it would cost or that I have to do some painting etc myself.

Maybe a weird idea but I'm thinking about buying one or more 3D printers in the near future. Are there any amazing 3d printed boardgames out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Tower of the Wizard King was pretty awesome when I was 10 or 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out :
A Castle for All Seasons

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe have a look at this catan version:
CATAN 3D Collector's Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't in print anymore, but Fantasy Flight produced Horus Heresy (2010). It's a big board with some of the buildings represented as 3D pieces. Miniatures, stand-ups, Global invasion, dark theme. It pretty much has it all. I'm sure you could find a copy somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Seelig
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Risk Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a lot of terrain and such, you're not looking for a board game, you're looking to get into minis games.

Because of costs, it's really hard to make a board game that has 3d features (though some great options are in this thread). I know of some games that have really big "boards" but no 3-d features on them, aside from the pieces players use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
take a look at Mythic Battles: Pantheon. While it comes with a flat board, you can easily add diorama trees and custom 3D printed pieces to get the effect you're looking for. The board ti made to add these additions to enhance gameplay.

The only downside is that it doesn't come out until next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
champ007 wrote:
Are there any amazing 3d printed boardgames out there?

The technology is too new for it to be considered much of anything at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fief: France 1429

There are a bunch of building packs you can separately that will give you that 3D look and feel.

It's sort of like Risk on steroids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 3D printing sites out there to help add wow factor to your game.
http://www.printablescenery.com/

Dwarven Forge also makes 3D terrain and are about to launch a Dungeon of Doom kickstarter on the 17th.
https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Donkervart
msg tools
Thanks again for all your posts. There are some interesting board games between them but I think I need to design a board etc myself. (got a nice long dinner table to destroy )

Taking the original idea of Risk and making a different one shouldn't be that big of a issue, but is it really though? Figuring out what theme, a interesting map, the custom pieces, the assignments etc. All together will probably be a long process.

What you gamers think? Did any of you made a (Risk related) board game yourself on wooden surfaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a wood risk board on a 3x6 piece of plywood using a wood burner and some stain. I believe it had twice as many provenience as the original and I made sea provinces for it. Never made any cards for it however, but it sure looked cool.

If you ever make one out of wood I would recommend either felt or cork board or something so it will not scratch your tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what you're looking for is probably tabletop miniature gaming rather than traditional boardgames. There are plenty of war themed games like this. I know almost nothing about that genre of gaming though, so I can't provide any specific recommendations. Anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P A
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos: deluxe edition....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GKR: Heavy Hitters fits your bill exactly.

It's BIG, beautiful, 3d environment, tactical squad base combat.

The game is produced by Weta Workshop who are one of the world's best when it comes to collectables.

Also is actually a good game to play surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.