Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
My daughter decided she wants to play this - with me as the overlord and her running the heroes. So I'm going to have her play two heroes, and I'm looking for any other tips to make it enjoyable for her and tips on how to run it properly for a single person. I've had the game for a while but we just never really got around to it; she doesn't want to do the app (we tried it) she wants it to be me running it and her trying to get through the adventures.

Just looking for tips on how to make it fun and maybe if anyone has pointers on things I may forget about or overlook.

edit: oh! and ideas and good ways you've found to keep track on campaign progress and things like that!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She needs to be at least 2 heroes, second you don't have to play a card. It's secret whats in your hand so go easy on her. The spot where you could attack twice and finish her off, you don't play that card and so forth. You can pick easier monsters and so forth. Try to have your goal to not win but just make it fun for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah my kid whos 6 has seen decent and loves it! So I'm in same boat too. Hes played the app and actually loved it. But it confuses him "whos" the bad player lol.
Weve let him play the POD co-op quests as a warrior who we heal up if takes too much damage (in the forest one Desmond the npc actually heals as his action every turn so we just make Desmond follow him topping him up constantly lol). He does love it but the length of those things wears on him and we usually end up taking him over after an hour if we're still alive.

I always thought if he plays proper with me ill just forgo the use of overlord cards to even the odds for him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Its.. MY TRACKING NUMBER!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same boat, particularly when my youngest wanted to join in with his brother.

Some of the things that made this the favorite game in the household was that as Overlord I played it more as an RPG, going so far as to rewrite (adjust really) the campaign intro's and endings to include their Heroes 'epic moments' from play and chain the stories together more directly.

Here's a snippet of an example from the beginning of What's Yours is Mine from Lair of the Wyrm:

"Word has spread quickly of what has become known as the ‘Victory of Brickwater’, its once great Inn and its three great heroes. Welcome news to the beleaguered and war torn lands of Rhynn, and aiding – it is hoped – the rising tide set against the Wyrm Queen. Welcome too has been the rumored arrival of Dwarven forces spreading out along the mountainous Northern Border, here to push back the Valyndrian war parties, and defend the threatened trade routes they have kept since the Second Darkness. Barony troops have pushed also up from the South West, establishing a safe if temporal haven for the flood of refugees escaping the area.

You however have not slowed your unwavering pursuit. Ever since Jorem Tolk’s abduction and the flames of the Brickwater you have doggedly kept to the trail, each foot fall bringing you closer to the Vigil Mines; following the rough map drawn for you of its rumored whereabouts, if not its exact location.

Your only hope has been in speed. Jorem may be dead and the precious Aurium already held by the Dragon; enough to equip a large measure of her war host, enough to upset the balance of power held by the Baronies. More will suffer.

As you crest what you suspect to be the final ridge, a collection of miner cottages comes in to view below you, partially and intentionally hidden among the tree line. Above, a trail leads up the mountain, surely to the Mine itself. Your eyes however do not leave the ground before you, nor the massive booted tracks left in the dust there, moving both up and down the rough wagon way.

This path has been recently busy, and something large has passed this way with intention.."

Secondly, I made sure they played one hero each and I played a third. This third is of the 'willful mercenary' type, sometimes doing what they want, sometimes the opposite. Its great for giving a nudge or turning everything pear shaped (though avoiding 'deadly'). That NPC character's story too evolved and if not participating directly in other campaigns would occasionally make an appearance in intro's or endings.

What happened is that we had an overarching story of our own growing, thin and undeveloped really, but enough to have them light up even when using different characters.

Lastly, this is supposed to be fun. If it starts to feel like work, we pause and get back to it later the same day or next.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leeroy Porkins
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Play Lair of The Wyrm. That quest slaps the OL Player upside & is Pro-Hero. This was my first time as the OverLord & got steamrolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear...she knows about the Road to Legend app but does not want to play Co-op with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Leeroy_Porkins wrote:
Play Lair of The Wyrm. That quest slaps the OL Player upside & is Pro-Hero. This was my first time as the OverLord & got steamrolled.

Especially 2-hero with the extra attack. My god, Valyndra got face stomped one turn after the door opened on the finale... and I was trying to run her away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leeroy Porkins
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Silidus wrote:
Leeroy_Porkins wrote:

Especially 2-hero with the extra attack. My god, Valyndra got face stomped one turn after the door opened on the finale... and I was trying to run her away.

Please don't tell me there was a Rune Master in the two Hero Party (4 attacks!?!). Oddly, despite no additional reinforcements shake I was one Token away from winning the whole Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.