Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a practice game solo this afternoon to learn for game day tomorrow, and came across an odd situation.

After performing the first couple of steps on what I thought was about to be my last or next to last turn, I rolled and activated the "Power Loss" emergency card. This card tells you to move one power cube from the track to a recharging station. I only had one power cube left in the power station cardboard track.

Does this mean I lose immediately because I removed the last cube, or can I play out the turn and potentially have another turn by activating both recharging stations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing official to base this on but I would say the game is over. I thought when the last power cube was removed it ended the game. But if it only triggers the final round, then you would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
I was playing a practice game solo this afternoon to learn for game day tomorrow, and came across an odd situation.

After performing the first couple of steps on what I thought was about to be my last or next to last turn, I rolled and activated the "Power Loss" emergency card. This card tells you to move one power cube from the track to a recharging station. I only had one power cube left in the power station cardboard track.

Does this mean I lose immediately because I removed the last cube, or can I play out the turn and potentially have another turn by activating both recharging stations?

Yes, you immediately lose the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. This leads to an immediate loss, which is why leaving that card out toward the end of the game is a very bad idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mehrholz
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that with the rules as written, this card loses you the game if it removes the final power cube, but I think it's a completely crap way to lose the game.

It's one thing if you know it's there and choose not to remove it, but tonight we had this card come out in the "Add Emergencies" phase and then trigger in the "Roll the Emergency Dice" phase.

No chance to do anything about it, so what was shaping up to be be a really interesting and challenging attempt to cure our last two patients in a single round fizzled out in a disappointing loss that we had no control over.

If I'd known it was possible to lose in such an utterly random way, then I would probably have given this game a pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fulminata wrote:

If I'd known it was possible to lose in such an utterly random way, then I would probably have given this game a pass.

It seems like it's no unreasonable to house rule something like this. Personally, I hate house rules in 99% of their forms. But this one seems like it prevents a really bad situation in a very solid, enjoyable game, as opposed to most house rules that try to fix poor design or make the game play in a way that the ruling individual expected it to play, despite running contrary to the design intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mehrholz
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Personally, I hate house rules in 99% of their forms. But this one seems like it prevents a really bad situation in a very solid, enjoyable game, as opposed to most house rules that try to fix poor design or make the game play in a way that the ruling individual expected it to play, despite running contrary to the design intent.

This is generally my view as well.

After thinking about it some more, and what the possible solutions could be, we're probably going to simply remove the card from the game in future plays.

Also, possibly light it on fire or run it through a shredder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this...in that specific situation (that card just came out, you activated it with your emergency dice, and you only have one power cube left), instead of removing the cube, all players lose a die.

I agree that that's an anti-climactic finish. It's obviously possible, but hopefully those 3 things don't line up perfectly like that too often. If it bothers you, you can play with this variant.

-Kane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
I had the exact same thing happen to us yesterday. It was our last round and we had a really good chance of winning the game. Then we drew the Power Loss card and had to activate it.
Meaning we lost the game. That was really unlucky and unsatisfactory.
We did play the last round after all, just to see if we could've won and we did. Well, sort of.

I'll probably also houserule it, that we lose a die each if that happens. Or just go ahead and say the battery has lost its power but there's still enough juice in there for one round and we only lose the game if, at the end of the round, we don't have a green cube on the track anymore. Or if we have to remove the last cube at step one of the turn order, not during any other phase.

So that would've meant wasting four dice to try and get the cube back but wouldn't have ended the game for us. Much more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will personally play that you get another round but..you still move the cube to the recharge station and you still need to bring the cube back before the round end or you fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favre4MVP wrote:
Try this...in that specific situation (that card just came out, you activated it with your emergency dice, and you only have one power cube left), instead of removing the cube, all players lose a die.

I agree that that's an anti-climactic finish. It's obviously possible, but hopefully those 3 things don't line up perfectly like that too often. If it bothers you, you can play with this variant.

-Kane

Just happened to us. Will definitely be using this variant to finish the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hollon
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I have a similar scenario with power loss. However, my recharging stations were full and it wasn't my last cube on the power tract. So, would i ignore the card and not move the cube? Would i move the cube and add a 2nd to a recharging station (and if that happens and try to earn a recharging station cube, would i get 1 or multiple), or since the recharging station is full, would the list cube just be discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would activate the card and choose one of the recharging stations to place the cube in. When you next activate that recharging station, you would earn only one of the cubes, leaving the other for another recharge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.