United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Paul Klee, "Tod und Feuer" (1940)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

So I have a copy of World War II: Tank Combat with painted miniatures that I won at a convention. There are six tanks total, three Soviet, three German. I'm interested in selling it but have no idea what a reasonable price to ask is, having no experience with miniature wargaming beyond stuff like X-Wing.

Here's a photo:

Thanks in advance for your advice! I posted in the forums for the specific game but didn't get any replies, so I figured this might be more visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
Napoleonic Hussar Sergeant
mbmbmbmbmb
The best though least helpful answer would be "Whatever someone is willing to pay."

Painting can take a long time, and the artists are never truly compensated fairly for their time.

If it was a much more popular game I would guess as high as $100 for it. But reasonably I would say you probably will not fetch more than $60 at tops.

Just my two cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few factors here:
1. Quality of the paintwork [in this case it looks very high]
2. Popularity of the game [in this case it is very low]
3. Desire among target market [in this case many gamers prefer to buy unpainted minis and do the work themselves]
4. Perceived value [in this case you may have an attachment to those fine-looking minis that nobody else in the market can see; alternatively, it may just be a 'prize' that you don't want, so you're happy to part with it].
5. Availability [how common is the item].

In some cases, even an unpopular game can fetch a high price if it is unavailable. I think those two factors have more impact on the price than the quality of the paintwork. It doesn't matter how good it is, if it isn't a popular item, and it can be purchased elsewhere, I think most people would be happy to get it cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are good-looking tanks! I recommend determining the scale and type of each tank. (The game may say.) Check out the going rate for each of the sort on eBay. Decide whether you want to auction/sell them individually or as a lot.

They look like 1/85 (15mm) early-war tanks for the Eastern Front of WWII. I think you could auction them with a starting bid of $5 apiece and maybe a Buy It Now of $25 apiece. Maybe a starting bid of $30 for the lot and a Buy It Now of $150. I think that's below their worth but a good starting point for an auction. Hard to say about Buy It Now, but some might be snapped up for that. People are often looking for deals when they buy lots, but I'm no expert. They're well-built and well-painted. That can be worth a lot to the right gamer. Finding that gamer is the trick.

Make sure to mention all the games they could be used for to draw the most interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would do is look at the price history of the game here at BGG - which in this case is $25 - and use the fact they're painted as a kind of advertising carrot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirt Mike
United States
Canoga Park
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The power of BGG compels you!
mbmbmbmbmb
that paint job is off the hook... don't know much about the game, but i do know what a pain it is to paint miniatures... huge ups!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.