Cam
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have a question regarding a trade proposal that I received. I was debating on whether I should post in this forum or rather the trade forum, but I feel like my question is more of a BGG website technical question...so I'm posting here.

I just received a trade proposal for a game this is NOT on my want list. And I'm just wondering how or why this happened. The email was sent directly through the trade proposal screen (i.e. the email has the usual links for accept offer, counter offer, decline offer, etc).

I have never heard of the game being offered to me and I went to the games main page to see if maybe I had accidentally surfed to this page and inadvertently selected "want in trade" from the "add to collection" menu. But the screen showed no tick marks in any of the boxes. Also, just out of curiosity, I tried initiating my own trade under "custom search" just to see if this particular game populated within the "Your Wants" window pane. And sure enough, I did not see this game there.

It's weird...from what I can see, there would have been no way possible to initiate a trade proposal for a game I never selected as "wanting".

Thank you in advance for help or insight! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I go to my-geek->trades then choose propose-a-trade, I can type your name into the box, then I get a list of your offers and my offers and I can make any proposal I like.

So it seems to be working as designed, though can't comment on whether it's a desirable feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can offer any game you have marked for trade to anyone. It doesn't matter what that person's wants are. I do this all the time with a company that uses BGG to buy/sell/trade large volumes of games. He doesn't have the time to mark every database game as a wanted item.

I don't see another scenario in which I'd offer a stranger something that they weren't vocally interested in, but who knows. In any case, the feature is useful to me.

Edit: math trades come to mind, as I can choose something to receive that's not necessarily on my want list but win it in the math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask the trader...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that your potential trade partner is making a proposition for you to consider, and my advice is to do just that. The system allows you to propose any trade for any item that exists in either potential trade partners collection.

Consider the offer. If it doesn't suit your fancy, then kindly decline it.

Consider anything like this event an opportunity with very low cost to you (consider and reply), rather than a problem (whatever you believe may be the downside).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.