Subject: Manufacturing perfect info is easier than hidden info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently manufactured a micropul set. Micropul has hidden information, the tiles are face-down during the game, and you choose at random.

I am currently working on manufacturing another game that can use some of my supply of 30mm square tiles. Unlike micropul, which is freely licensed (thanks hpox!), my new project is an unlicensed version of a popular abstract. This new game is a perfect-information game: all tiles are face-up during the game, you and your opponent can see which you have available.

Since I am shaping these tiles by hand, there is a lot of work involved in making the edges smooth and featureless. It became obvious that making micropul is much harder than making the new perfect-info, and for a simple reason: the micropul tiles must all be indistinguishable, while the new tiles can all be distinct. The micropul tiles required sanding until the sides were completely perfect, the new tiles have no such requirement.

Just thought it worth mentioning: if you can't make perfect pieces, stick with perfect information games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted in a perfect world the tiles completely identical from the back, often the best you can get a material like wood is a mixture (some lighter, some darker, but no obvious distinguishable flaws).

That Scrabble has a draw bag. (Also note tournament Scrabble players use "non feelable" tiles made of plastic rather than the wood tiles in most sets.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mb
I want you to take a look at the Piecepack. That one's a real bitch. I'm amazed at how far those wooden sets have gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.