Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Hive [+] GBOG [+] [View All]
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all,

If you want to play a chess-like game with the Green Box of Games, I suggest this adaptation of the full game of Hive (base game):

Hive has 5 types of pieces, that relate as follows to BGOG tiles:

Queen (1) => Crown
Ant (3) => Swords (soldiers)
Grasshoppers (3) => Arrows (jump/fly)
Beetle (2) => Bricks (stack)
Spiders (2) => Wood (3 circles = spider eyes, also reminder that the spider has a move of 3)

Color of the piece is given by putting the player's cube on top of the tile. Tile direction is not enough because Bricks and Crown are not directional.

Tiles are put in a pseudo-hexagonal pattern, using the intersection markings:

One issue is beetle stacking: pile cubes in the order of the tile stack to show what belongs to whom. The upcoming GBOG edition will have larger cubes, so it should facilitate stacking.

Of course, Hive pocket is ultra portable, and remains the preferred solution, but if you are used to carrying your GBOG around you'll have more chances to play or demonstrate Hive.

Edit : typo correction and added spider movement rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Very cool!

I was not familiar with Hive, but I see it fits very well. I especially like your interpretations of the Green Box symbols, and I had actually not though of Crown as a potential interpretation of the circle. I plan to make a small change to the bricks that make them even more suitable for symbolizing stacking.

An alternative is to play this game using only the cards. If you split the deck by background you can have one player using the pink cards and one using the Brown, for instance. Each background set will have 3 of each symbol, and since there is never more than three if each unit type in Hive it fits very well. It might be even harder to "see" the hexagonal pattern when using cards, but you save the hassle of stacking cubes.

On a side note, I have developed one original chess-like (i.e. two player abstract) game for the Box, called Make Way: https://greenboxofgames.com/2016/05/28/make-way-11/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The use of cards is a good idea! As you noted, it saves on cubes, but is less clear on the hexagonal pattern. I'll need to test both options to see which one performs better. One issue to keep in mind is that a piece is blocked (except the grasshopper and beetle) if it does not have at least two consecutive sides free, which is easier to see on the tiles (thanks to the markings) than with the cards.

Makeway looks cool! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I agree, it is easier to see the lines of movement and the blocking with the tiles.

That gave me an idea, as we are currently working on completing the design of the new cards. Maybe we could add "corner" markings on the sides of the cards to facilitate hexagonal card patterns.

Another possibility is to develop an orthogonal version of Hive using the cards. Then you could add the 6th symbol as well as a new unit, maybe have one beetle that only moves orthogonally and another that only moves diagonally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you would have Schachen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gwarv wrote:
That gave me an idea, as we are currently working on completing the design of the new cards. Maybe we could add "corner" markings on the sides of the cards to facilitate hexagonal card patterns.

I think that would be a great idea. Also, the fact that the cards are bigger may be an opportunity to add a bit more info to the cards without overloading them (for instance one, two or no dots,or the possibility to have "dominoes" with the cards, etc). Of course, this should only be done if it really brings some serious added value, as one of the things I like about GBOG is the simplicity and clarity of the design

Quote:
Another possibility is to develop an orthogonal version of Hive using the cards. Then you could add the 6th st.as well as a new unit, maybe have one beetle that only moves orthogonally and another that only moves diagonally?

I agree with Kolja that if one goes for an orthogonal version, it would probably pay off to also draw inspiration from Schachen, although Hive has staking, which is missing from regular chess.

Hive also has 3 more optional pieces, the mosquito, pillbug and ladybug. One could adapt one of those to the GBOG version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I like the movement in Hive better, where there is no right or wrong direction on the table. Makes for a more dynamic game which is good when you are not supposed to be constrained by a board.

Hive works with the Green box as it is, but I guess "someone" can come up with a tile game that is inspired by both games. There are actually right now no games on the website which use the cards as tiles/board, so that's really an untapped source of game ideas.

And of course, if "someone" wants to write up the rules for a game, either original or adapted, I will publish it on the website with full credits and eternal gratitude. I plan to get a wiki up and running at some point also, but at the moment I'll have to do the publishing :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Someone" could listen to your suggestion... laugh

If you have a mock-up of the cards with the middle mark, I could use it for the rules write-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.