Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minor Clarification Q's (2 core sets and game mechanics) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James A
msg tools
1) With two core sets, you can play with four players and cannot add more than two of the same card to your deck. What about expansions? Do I need to buy 2 of every Core expansion and 2 of every Mythos pack to keep 3 to 4 players going? If not, why? What makes them different then the core set?

2) Weaknesses have us beyond confused. The Reference guide seems all over the place depending on the kind of weakness or basic weakness. When drawn from deck, do you apply and discard? Does it stay in hand? Rules say to apply as if encounter deck. If I did that, then I would also discard it. But another rule states that weaknesses can't be discarded. Do they stay in hand as a dead card taking up space? What is the difference between the 2 weaknesses; it states there are encounter types and player types. I only see encounter types and they are labelled 'treachery'. Basically, page 21 of reference under weaknesses just has us confused all over. So we played where you discard after applying effects. I don't know how a weakness would stay in your hand. Another thing that happened was that the game forced me to add a weakness "from the collection to your hand". So, I did. But does it apply immediately? Does it get discarded? Does it sit in my hand? It didn't state further.

3)There is a weakness that states if you would gain a clue at this location, take a token off this card instead. Easy enough. My only question is, does there HAVE to be a clue to do this? Or can I go to a clue-less location and attempt the shroud number anyway. Just to get it of me.

4) Why do some locations have a shroud number but no clues?

5) I assume if an enemy has a doom token on it, and you kill it, the doom gets discarded?

Thanks for any help! Our main concern was weaknesses as we just could not decide what they wanted us to do! Hopefully someone was just as confused as I was haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)We don't call Big Box Expansions like The Dunwich Horror "Core Expansions" - that sounds like a contradiction in terms. 1 of every Expansion should be sufficient for four players, because there are enough good cards at that point, and you don't get enough great Player cards per Expansion to be worth the extra money. If every player on the team wants the same two cards, it can be technically necessary to buy 4 copies of that Expansion, but at that point it makes financial sense to explore Proxies.

3) No. Roland's weakness needs actual Clues.

4) There are cards that let you Investigate without trying to obtain Clues - Burglary, for example, can be used at a Location without Clues. Other cards and effects can result in a Clue being added to a Location, especially by being taken away from an Investigator.

5) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2. Regarding 2, most weaknesses are revealed immediately, resolved, and discarded. The reason the rules state that you can't discard weaknesses is because some weaknesses (like Agathe's) stay in hand, and the rule is stating that you can't get rid of those weaknesses by discarding them to a discard effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The Core game comes with 1 of each class card. All other expansions come with 2 or every player card. As long as you don't overlap classes then 1 expansion each should work. (For example do not play Roland and Skids in the same group since they will both want Guardian cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
msg tools
Thanks! This all helps a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Weakness work differently depending on its type:
Enemy weaknes Are placed on your treath area and works like normal enemy cards. You have to fight them (Silver Twiligth Acolyte, Mob Enforcer etc)
Treachery weaknesses do their stuff and Are then discaded (Paranoia, Amnesia, Abandoned and Alone) or you play them and They have ongoing bad stuff and you have to do something to discard them (for example "use two actions") (internal injury, haunted, chronofobia, psychosis, hypochondria) or have other way of discarding it from the play (the necronomicom) or come to play in the Beginning of the game and stay in game (indepted)
Some stay in hand Until you play it (dark memory) Some come to play and stay in the play (hospital Depts, Cover Up) and so on. The card tells you what to do it.
The thing is that you can not voluntary discard it unles you use the power/ability from the treachery card itself (so you have to suffer the negative impact of the weaknes), though random discard can happen.

4. You can investigate locations that don't have clues. See card "Burglary". Also it is possible that investigator die and clues drop to location that don't normally have clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg M
msg tools
mbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:

4. You can investigate locations that don't have clues. See card "Burglary". Also it is possible that investigator die and clues drop to location that don't normally have clues.

Additionally, there may be encounter cards that force a players lose clues and place them on their current location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.