14 Posts

ZÈRTZ» Forums » General

Subject: Reassurance about the forced win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Spiers

Solihull
msg tools
I have read about the forced win and I have two questions?

- is it realistically easy to do without the additional rings?
- do the additional research has entirely fix the problem?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a part of the players that found out the problem in 2001.
I can answer both of your questions with "yes".

The additonal rings would just require more sacrifices to keep the initiative, but you cannot afford these additional sacrifices without loosing.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Spiers

Solihull
msg tools
Fantastic to hear, although it a shame it easy to do. It's good to know the game is 100% fixed

Thanks for feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is "easy" to do if you know how. It isn't obvious for inexperienced players and depending on the opening move you have to follow precisely different move sequences in order to succeed.
Anyway, with the rules of the second edition (or the current HUCH&friends release) there is no configuration with that problem anymore.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there a configuration or rule change other than adding the additional rings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagopsych wrote:
Was there a configuration or rule change other than adding the additional rings?

No. Only the board with 37 rings is not used with 6 white, 8 gray and 10 black marbles (i.e. winning with 4 white, 5 gray, 6 black or 3 of each color) anymore.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

No. Only the board with 37 rings is not used with 5 white, 7 gray and 9 black marbles (i.e. winning with 3 white, 4 gray, 5 black or 2 of each color) anymore.

Michael

Thanks. I did not know that the quantity of balls and winning condition had changed after the forced win discovery. I only thought the number of rings increased. We own the newer version, but as a casual player, the forced win issue was never an issue for us anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Spiers

Solihull
msg tools
Hi Michael

You seem like an expert and kindly answered my questions a few months ago. I had a few more but have struggled to fibre answers

- how does increasing the number of rings change the game? I have seen people play online on much larger boards
- has the win conditions re required marbles meant that the forced win is not and issue even without you of the additional rings?
- if the additional rings are needed, how many?

Thank you or your help again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Spiers

Solihull
msg tools
KivasFajo wrote:
Well, it is "easy" to do if you know how. It isn't obvious for inexperienced players and depending on the opening move you have to follow precisely different move sequences in order to succeed.
Anyway, with the rules of the second edition (or the current HUCH&friends release) there is no configuration with that problem anymore.

Michael

Hi Michael

You seem like an expert and kindly answered my questions a few months ago. I had a few more but have struggled to fibre answers

- how does increasing the number of rings change the game? I have seen people play online on much larger boards
- has the win conditions re required marbles meant that the forced win is not and issue even without you of the additional rings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
chicagopsych wrote:
KivasFajo wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

No. Only the board with 37 rings is not used with 5 white, 7 gray and 9 black marbles (i.e. winning with 3 white, 4 gray, 5 black or 2 of each color) anymore.

Michael

Thanks. I did not know that the quantity of balls and winning condition had changed after the forced win discovery. I only thought the number of rings increased. We own the newer version, but as a casual player, the forced win issue was never an issue for us anyway

What's the change in numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HighResBear wrote:
KivasFajo wrote:

Michael

Hi Michael

Hi,
the bigger "boards" have 48 or 61 rings.
Adding more rings makes it impossible to control the forced capture moves in a way that enables a forced win.
Using less marbles (i.e. 5 white, 7 gray, 9 black, winning by capturing 3 white, 4 gray, 5 black or 2 of each color) on the board with 37 rings reduces the number of marbles that you can sacrifice, which prevents the forced win, too.

I hope that answers your questions.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:
KivasFajo wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Michael

What's the change in numbers?

Hi Morten,

the 37 rings board uses now 5 white, 7 gray, 9 black rings (winning by capturing 3 white, 4 gray, 5 black or 2 of each color).
All variants should be in the rule book (as long as you have the 2nd edition from SMART or the current edition by HUCH).

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Michael. I have the older edition so that's why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Michael

Sorry, I just recognized that I messed up the marble numbers. The correct numbers are:
Only the board with 37 rings is not used with 6 white, 8 gray and 10 black marbles (i.e. winning with 4 white, 5 gray, 6 black or 3 of each color) anymore.

37 rings with 6 white, 8 gray and 10 black marbles was the original tournament version.

I already corrected the numbers in all my posts.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.