Subject: Official Shadows of Brimstone FAQ question thread. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jee. Is there any interest in official codifying this with a question? Mostly it would be a reminder for Flying Frog to spell it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Weaver
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Heya Jee,

Thanks! We kicked around a few house rules after reaching the conclusion that it wasn't explicitly spelled out in the rules anywhere, and I believe we landed on exactly the same spot. Natural 6 always hits make a lot of head-scratching go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Thanks Jee. Is there any interest in official codifying this with a question? Mostly it would be a reminder for Flying Frog to spell it out.
If it's not already in the Official rules somewhere, it certainly ought to be.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natural rolls of 6+ triggering critical hits and elite abilities ADDED

Any word in the Kitsune thread about whether you changed your mind Jee about the Sermon and Gambler questions regarding immunity to spells?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Are natural 6+ results supposed to trigger Critical Hit and Elite abilities?

Inspector Jee reached this conclusion after analyzing expansion enemy and hero content, which may not be available to all players given the modular nature of the Brimstone product line. It seems like this should be specified in the FAQ to avoid confusion.
This was not my conclusion, or perhaps its worded strangely.

To be clear: I believe that both Modified and Natural rolls can trigger Crits (whatever that roll may be). Conversely, I believe that only natural rolls can trigger Abilities - unless the ability specifically indicates otherwise ("6 or more", "6+", etc).

A better way to ask this question might be "Can we assume that effects triggered on rolls of a specific number only trigger on a natural roll - unless otherwise specified ('on a 6' vs 'on a 6 or more' or 'on the roll of 6+')?"

^this ... kinda ... covers Crits as well, since there are many places in the rules where it implies or outright SAYS that Crits happen on 6+ (as opposed to "on a 6")

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I'll go ahead and make the change you suggested to the question and remove that Sermon / Gambler question regarding enemies immune to Spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the bottom of the FAQ we have a question about cards that should be "limit 1". It's probably a good time to review the card supplements and FOFO to list out any other cards that should be "limit 1".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Maury
Switzerland
Tavannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Greetings everybody.

Question about High Noon Duel.
How to deal with it when you're playing the Prospector, the Preacher/Nun or any other characters who may not use guns?

And let's admit the Prospector has the "It's Mine!" Upgrade, or "Redempsionist" for Preacher... well Western Duels aren't they supposed to be traditionally played with pistols?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess that character should run-away from the duel, or try to close with the shooter. There's nothing in the scenario that invalidates the use of Combat weapons beyond the opponent trying to move away on their turn because of Shootout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Ninja's Smoke Bomb, Shadow Dodge, and involuntary movement from enemy attacks stack with Dance of Death's Combat bonus ADDED

Fallen Shoguns Brutal Blade hit to adjacent heroes ADDED

What happens to critical hits when negative adjustments make it impossible to hit the target number MODIFIED

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A natural 6+ is always a crit in crit-able situations, regardless of minuses - this much I know, because FFP told me directly (and there are a lot of examples in the game on cards and whatnot that say "a natural 6+ always Crits").

I'm not sure you need to include Crits in a question about die ranges. What we DONT know is whether or not things that ARENT Crits are subjected to limitations from minuses (like the Worn Sandals).

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've revised the question to read:

Quote:
Can we assume that non-critical hit effects that trigger on rolls of a specific number always trigger on a natural roll - unless otherwise specified ('on a 6' vs 'on a 6 or more' or 'on the roll of 6+')? If modifiers are allowed, what happens when negative modifiers make it impossible to reach the target value? Can these effects occur when items or abilities automatically grant a specific result (eg - treat your movement die as a 6)?

This question arose from the Worn Sandals card in Forbidden Fortress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Maury
Switzerland
Tavannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well Western Duels with bows, shotguns, fisticuffs, picks etc. Ok but it miss the charm of the Strange West, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats true, but there's nothing in the RAW prohibiting you from using those abilities in the Duel.

Now a bar fight system would be interesting....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Maury
Switzerland
Tavannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks.

Still one question please, can you get normal Defense/Willpower saves against things you're "willingly" taking?
I mean for exemple, the 1 Corruption Hit you may take from the Black Hat to Heal 3 Wounds, can you get a Willpower save against it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucifer Domine
msg tools
mb
Unless it says otherwise, any Hits still get Willpower/Defense. Usually if you don't get a Defense/Willpower, it will either say "ignoring Defense/Willpower" or word it as Wounds/Damage instead of Hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, there's no mechanism for skipping required systems, so you'd have to make the roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Maury
Switzerland
Tavannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fine. I was thinking of it like a "deal" I mean you take my corruption (or whatever else...) and I give you Healing, Sanity, new dices rolls etc.
But if you don't take it, then you get nothing in return!

On another way, to take back the exemple of the Black Hat, it may explain why such an high cost for it... You're taking some risk with corruption but this is an almost endless source of Healing... Making of it one the most powerful item, even more than the Legendary Hat in my opinion.

Ok again thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should remind everyone here that the purpose of this thread is to compile a list of questions that have no official answer, so that FFP has place to start when updating the Official FAQ. If you simply have a rule question that you don't know the answer to, make a thread for it in the rules forums so the community has a change to respond to it. If there is no consensus, then we can add it to the list here.

A person doing this is also more likely to get an answer to their questions quickly.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Weaver
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Heya Jee - on the 6 thing - a simple question I'd like to see for them would be:

Do monsters always hit on a natural roll of 6 despite any minuses To Hit from game effects they may be currently under?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Weaver
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
A Forbidden Fortress character specific one:

Sumo Roaring Challenge Ability:"Use 1 Grit at the start of an Enemy Group's Activation to force all of those Enemies to change target to you this turn. They are -1 on their To Hit rolls until the end of the Turn."

What if they can't reach the Sumo? Either due to distance or because the other Heroes purposefully and with intent wall off the roaring Sumo from them? They can't attack anyone at all for the turn? The explode due to confusion? They ignore the first part of the ability and target as normal but are still at -1 to hit?

So many questions. They really need to think about their wording on things harder before they go to print ;-)

j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil, have you considered making this a geeklist instead? You can use a single entry per group of questions so it breaks up the list and provides a kind of index. As the owner of the list, you can also lockout comments. If you add a link back to the original thread, then discussion can continue in the particular thread as well.

Another convention would be a single entry per thread, but that sounds more unwieldy to me though it has the advantage of tracking the last modification per question.

Anyway, just some food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sumo question should likely be in a separate thread, however, since it was asked, I'll answer it here:

I agree that the Sumo ability requires some rules parsing, but I believe it can be solved without a FAQ question.

Page 26 of the original core rulebook goes over the rules for enemy targeting. In a nutshell, enemies will spread out evenly among randomly determined heroes they can reach (eg - attack), and ignore heroes they can't reach. If they can't reach any heroes, the enemy will move closer towards the heroes and isn't considered to be targeting anyone. The rules are a little different for shootout (ranged) enemies, but the context of the Sumo question implies combat based enemies.

So, in the case of the Sumo, the enemies would break their existing target locks, try to target the Sumo, discover they can't reach the Sumo, and randomly target another hero they can reach. The enemies will still be -1 to hit because the ability doesn't say it's -1 to hit the Sumo. So even though the Sumo didn't achieve the stated goal of having the enemies attack the Sumo, they still got a benefit because the enemies are now -1 to-hit and it reshuffled the enemy targeting.

I believe this is the correct interpretation of the rules. The alternative would be the Sumo jumps out and down making a fool of themself and *nothing* happens because the enemies can't reach the Sumo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with how Geeklists work, which is why I didn't use one initially. I originally just wanted a single post Flying Frog could grab the questions from with a cut-n-paste. They don't even need to read these pages, just the list of questions.

I reasoned that Flying Frog wasn't going to spend hours reading every forum post comment to make sure they've answered every player question, but they might consider reviewing a curated collection of questions, since it doesn't take long to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Weaver
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Heya Neil - yep, we will put these in separate thread first. We get a lot of these kinds of questions in our group, and we are playing FF a lot right now - we'd be a great playtester group ;-P.

The "-1 To Hit still applies even if they couldn't target the Sumo and target someone else instead" was my instinctive interpretation as well, but I do wish they thought about their wording for these things more. The upgrade charts are limited on text they can fit in.

j
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16  Next »  [16] |