Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The playing time for this game is not 60-120. It's more realistically 90-180. Around 3 hours for a 3-4 player game was what was suggested by both experienced players in our game.

Our learning game took over 4 hours with setup and tear down, so be prepared for a significant investment for your first game.

Update: Admins accepted my edit to change estimated playing time to 90 - 180. Yay!

And it's now set to 30 min to 120. Metric is now pretty much useless...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Estimated Playing Time is Not Correct
correct, BUT the subjective playing time/feeling is even lower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The playing time on the box is a flagrant lie? This is unprecedented.

I'm of the opinion that the "Playing Time" on the BGG entry should have a community vote, much like the player count--both needs stem from the same cause, namely that publishers are some combination of optimistic and mendacious with respect to such information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my game group games have run about 3 hours (not counting setup/tear down). I have got soloing down to around 90 minutes. I suspect an experienced group playing Doomsday could have a game last only 90 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmb
I agree with you, OmNomGmr. I think a 4 player game can only possibly last 120 mins when: 1) all the players have played it at least twice before and 2) if none of the players suffer from AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet the side of the box of Scythe consistently overestimates how long the game takes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
The playing time on the box is a flagrant lie? This is unprecedented.

I know. . It just struck me so wrong when taking into account the amount of tear down and rules teach that the playing time is do off. 60-120 is what is listed for Catan.

Gyges wrote:
I'm of the opinion that the "Playing Time" on the BGG entry should have a community vote, much like the player count--both needs stem from the same cause, namely that publishers are some combination of optimistic and mendacious with respect to such information.

That would be a good addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
Including set up and teaching, I don't think i've seen a single game of this take more than 2 hours or so. I don't know how on earth everyone else is getting such long games - Like I genuinely find is baffling that it could take someone so long.
I played with two friends who were baked out of their gourds and /still/ finished in under 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
I'm of the opinion that the "Playing Time" on the BGG entry should have a community vote, much like the player count.
More important would be playing time per player count.

I've done a solo play in under an hour but 4p took a little over 2 (not counting rule explanation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha Peacock
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so confused, how is the BGG playing time calculated? It now says 45mins - 150 mins? On what planet would it ever be 45mins, even with time travel?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuffin89 wrote:
I'm so confused, how is the BGG playing time calculated? It now says 45mins - 150 mins? On what planet would it ever be 45mins, even with time travel?!

I'm assuming that's the playtime for a solo game. That's probably a good range at this point, but I will agree that it can be confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can only say based on one game played with 2 players, but it seems accurate from my experience. My buddy and I finished it in a little over an hour, and that was on our first playthrough which, as any gamer knows, typically takes longer due to frequent rules referencing and trying to figure out what does what. Once we had a solid grasp on what we were doing, I'd say we finished the final 3 eras in under 20 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.